Best time to bred

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Gray Heart Mini Horse

Reaction score
I plan on breeding my bay appaloosa mare shes an AMHR mare shes 37" about my be smaller heres pics of her and heres a pic of the stallion I want to breed her to.

her name is SHOWCASE APT TO BE TREASURED (A.K.A TREASURE)

Her sire is Cross Country Call Me Mister

Her dam is Sweetwaters Silver Frost

her pic is below

Treasure ( Mare I Am Buying ).jpg Treasure ( Mare I Am Buying ) 2.jpg

The stallion I plan to breed her to

271055_248479265178692_100000498626589_1040971_4126194_n.jpg

And I plan on breeding my sorrel paint mare also she an AMHA/AMHR mare I measured her to be about 33" will it hurt her if I breed her to a 34 1/4" stud. the stallion I am breeding her to for 2012 for a 2013 for is a blue roan stallion that stands 28" and is AMHA.

Her name is Sunrise Hills Serenades Dersert Rose (A.K.A Rosie)

Her sire is Sunrise Hill Desert Seranade

Her dam is Flabys Dainty Lady

her pic is below

284765_263816806978271_100000498626589_1101980_1050112_n.jpg bailey 025.JPG

The stallion I plan to breed to her

251514_256960257663926_100000498626589_1075474_4191392_n.jpg 268754_241658932527392_100000498626589_1006549_5671078_n.jpg

So when is the earlyest to breed them and the last to breed too as I pasture bred for now as I dont need to get hurt as these two mare I just bought august 6, 2011 so not sure how easy they will breed as I know my bay appy had a sorrel appy colt and my sorrel paint mare had a sorrel colt this year but i think she had a couple of foals and she foals really easy and by her self that i know off sorry about all this in foal still kind of new to the mini's as I just start to bred in 2010 my first live foal was born but i had a still born foal in 2009 but i had my first mini in Dec. 25, 2005 then my 2nd one in 2008 then my 3rd and 4th in 2009. so still very new to theses mini and show thing stuff like that.

Thanks for yall help

For me it comes down to when I want the foal. I want to take mine in the ring so I want them as early as possible, but that does mean handling some awful weather at times so be aware of the trade off.

in Australia foals can start hitting the ground from August the 1st so I start breeding mid September and try to wrap things up in November.

ok I'm in Texas so Its warm in late march to april so would probely perfur a march or april foal then. and can you show them bred or do you have to wait till they foal and wean the foal just wondering

I think from your questions you have a lot of opportunities to learn some things about breeding and showing. This is a great place for that! May I suggest you hold off on breeding either mare until you a) have a chance to learn more as breeding minis isn't for the faint of heart; b) can handle all the horses without the fear of getting injured and c) can make an informed decision about what type you want to breed for. Heck, you may decide you just want to show!
default_smile.png

Thanks I have breed my boy for only pasture breeding only I have had 2 foals befor with out helping them but I plan to show the appy mare a little befor breeding her as I want to try to get some points on her but the paint i'm breeding to my small stud next year to get a young foal to show with my older boys line as he never been shown and hes like 16 years old. I want to show him for fun as he's so easy to handle even around mares and stallions he's never seen a gelding yet to not sure about that one. but I mit just breed both mare in 2013 to get them show point first and get used to showing then leter on breed them. not sure yet what im going to do as I would love to get to know someone around central texas to help me get ready for showing.

I think from your questions you have a lot of opportunities to learn some things about breeding and showing. This is a great place for that! May I suggest you hold off on breeding either mare until you a) have a chance to learn more as breeding minis isn't for the faint of heart; b) can handle all the horses without the fear of getting injured and c) can make an informed decision about what type you want to breed for. Heck, you may decide you just want to show!
default_smile.png

Certainly isn't somthing you want to rush into. Plus if you intend to show I'd do all that first, test your horses in the ring to see if they measure up before you start breeding. I personally believe we need to be breeding to better the breed. I think for newbies we should be showing our horses be it halter, performance or driving as we lack the experience and the knowledge to really pull apart our horses and ask ourselves the hard questions. Given that there are a lot of minis out there, there is no point putting a mediocre foal on the ground.

I owned minis for about 5 years before I bred and showed for one. I was then guided into the breeding by a very experienced stud who helped me pick my stock as well. If you can see if there is a good stud local to you that might let you tag along for some of the breeding season so that you a more familiar with the ins and outs. Mentors are worth their weight in gold!

Where are you located in central Texas? I'm outside of Austin and can give you some ideas as to semi-local shows, etc. Don't know if you are wanting to raise babies to sell or to keep, but as someone mentioned the market is pretty flooded right now with horses for sale. Our area I think is especially suffering this summer with the drought. If you are wanting babies to keep, just be prepared to lose a lot of sleep and get to know your vet very well. It's rewarding but it's also a major commitment in a lot of ways. Good luck with your mares.

Jan

Latest posts

Back