Best strap location for blanket?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Hey crafters, last time I made a cute parade blanket when I repped my work in a neighborhood parade. I secured it with a breast band and a crupper, but it slipped to the side. So this new Girl Scout blanket I am making, I was gonna do a belly band. Do you think that just a belly band will secure it? Would rather not do more work than I need to on this, since I already spent a long time painting the patches.

Attachments

• IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 22
Great job, it looks so pretty!! On my decorative blankets like this, I use a breast band and a belly band and my blankets do tend to slide sideways towards the back. I don’t have a crupper on them. I think my problem is that my belly band isn’t tight at all, it is very loose and secured by Velcro. Good luck! You’ll have to let us know what works for you 💕

Omg! Your little guy is soooo stinkin cute!!! I wonder if a belly band and leg straps would hold it better for you? You’ll have to post more pics once it is done. How did you do the letters? It’s looking so good and professional!

Aw thanks! I used felt and fleece and spent wayyyyyy to long painting them with acrylic to match the patches on her vest.

Dang! You paint those letters?! They look great! I wouldn’t have thought to paint on the felt, great idea! I was looking into iron on letters or sew on letters, but hadn’t thought to use paint, thanks!

Yeah I wanted iron on, but they get so expensive. You gotta do a couple layers of it on the felt. I sketch with a marker first. They don't come out perfect of course, but heck it is just a fun project! In face I used hot glue to glue the patches on, hah!

Hey there! These remind me of vests for service animals, so i'll post a photo of Sodapop in her vests to help. :) Ours never slip or slide, but make sure you have a way to adjust the straps! This way you can adjust to fuzziness levels and the fluctuations in weight to get a perfect two-finger-fit, just like a dog collar.

1642382336274.png1642382366477.png1642382419394.png

Here is the one I am working on now!View attachment 45751

Incredible artwork, and beyond cute little mini!!! :)

The turnout blankets we use have criss-cross belly straps in addition to the breast closure and leg straps. My boys can roll in them and they stay put!
So simple belly straps should work for yours.

We're also in Colorado, Elizabeth area.
Where are you guys at?

Here's my two cents worth.....which may just about be what it's worth.😁😜

In Sodapop's example, that breast strap is too low. It would be better if it sat just over the point of her shoulder and just below where her windpipe ties into her chest.

Have you thought about putting in a small cutback, may 2 inches, at the withers on your vest? The shape is great, and with a cutback (just a small "u" shape) at the withers it would lie flatter, and when you add the breast strap and an adjustable bellyband, it might move better instead of sliding. Maybe you could sew the bellyband to the underside, about where the first number of the patches is? You might not need a crupper if you do it this way.

Keep us updated, it already looks super!! What patch does your mini earn for selling the most boxes of cookies? 'Cause you know he will!!!🤗🤩

Gorgeous blanket and handsome guy!
I suggest attaching the strap about 1/3 way up on the underside of the blanket, more toward the front than the middle. You could use velcro with a D ring, or buy a buckle set--I think Walmart has them in the sewing section. Looks sort of like a seat belt thing. Or, make a tie out of the same material, attach to the blanket underneath and just tie a bow. Make one side of the tie very long, so as to reach to the offside or nearside to tie.

In Sodapop's example, that breast strap is too low. It would be better if it sat just over the point of her shoulder and just below where her windpipe ties into her chest.

I completely agree, but so far we haven't found a way to keep them up :( Even if we move the strap high as possible placement-wise on any of her vests, the strap just slips down so it's at that position again. The only thing that's comforting is that it's always so loose, she runs and plays in them no issue with a full range of motion. We're going to look into a neck strap to try and see if it'll stay up better. Kind of like what horse harnesses use. :)

Thanks everyone! I will be putting on the straps soon, and also maybe making a couple slits for terrets and a grommet so I can put it on for delivering cookies in the cart! Here is a pic of my daughter with her matching vest. Chaos is my pony, but her yearling isn't very good at standing still for pictures: thumbnail_IMG_0819.jpg

Thanks everyone! I will be putting on the straps soon, and also maybe making a couple slits for terrets and a grommet so I can put it on for delivering cookies in the cart! Here is a pic of my daughter with her matching vest. Chaos is my pony, but her yearling isn't very good at standing still for pictures: View attachment 45763
So adorable, excellent pose like Chaos got ready for the shot too. Thanks for sharing.

Omg! The colors match perfectly! Great job!! ♥♥ Except the horse NEEDS some green in his mane to match your daughters green hair style … or maybe green in his forelock??!! Such a great photo💕💕
Great idea! Will have to see if I can find the right color ribbons!

So adorable, excellent pose like Chaos got ready for the shot too. Thanks for sharing.
He is a very good model, always cooperates so well!

I just noticed his halter!
I made that a couple years ago! It is a bit worn now, need to repaint it. I bought a square of leather, and cut the shape and used screw back conchos to replace the noseband of a halter! Then painted in acrylic with a galaxy print and his name. Probably would have lasted longer if I hadn't left it where snow could blow on it a couple times...

Latest posts

Back