Best Place to Buy a Cart

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrelle

Reaction score
Hi All - Potentially dumb question, but I'm new to miniatures so please forgive me.

I finally went to an AMHR show this weekend to check out the scene and try to figure out what type of cart that I need. It seems like I'll want to show my guy in some of the pleasure classes, and the typical carts in those classes are the two wheeled, basket foot style pleasure carts.

HOWEVER, having never done this before -- I can't afford the $5-6K I see listed for a brand new cart. I've tried looking on FB groups for carts but I really don't know what I'm searching for - "mini pleasure cart" comes up with a bunch of irrelevant results.

Where in the world can someone like me purchase an affordable, used cart to get my feet wet showing? I'm willing to lay out $1-2K for a cart and more if I get serious with it, but I can't drop $5K from the jump and surely there has to be a market for used carts somewhere. Right? 😂

Jerald is the most common brand of mini show carts. I know there are also a couple others. There is a FB group for miniature carts for sale that might lead to something for you

https://www.facebook.com/groups/miniponycarts/

Thank you! I'm already a member of that group; there's a bunch of carts/wagons that are pretty broken down - and then the occasional appropriate cart that is 20 years old and listed for $3K or covered in dirt and rust for $2500 -- is that normal?? 😂 There's one that was listed this weekend for $2700 that seems appropriate, but is that basically what I'm looking to spend to just get started at a local weekend show?

You don't have to have a "show cart" to show. At the higher levels, of course, it's necessary. But for local shows any cart will do. Clean, in good repair, and presentable is all that is required. If you need to get your feet wet you could just get a metal EZ cart. Some are better than others, of course, for balance. I'd spend my money on a good harness and bridle/bit, starting out.

You don't have to have a "show cart" to show. At the higher levels, of course, it's necessary. But for local shows any cart will do. Clean, in good repair, and presentable is all that is required. If you need to get your feet wet you could just get a metal EZ cart. Some are better than others, of course, for balance. I'd spend my money on a good harness and bridle/bit, starting out.

I have an easy entry cart for the house and I got a really wonderful harness from Chimacum Tack (Shoutout to @MindySchroder for her help with that!) for Christmas so I've been enjoying that immensely. Just want something appropriate for the show ring, as I do plan to hit the rings this year as life gets back to normal.

I bought a new brand new EZ entry cart at Fairview Country Sales in Millersburg, Ohio for around $500. You can get it cutomized if you like. They also have used vehicles for sale.
I bought a bridle from Chimacum Tack (Shoutout to Janie) and I absolutely love it. One day, I plan to replace my harness from Chimacum.

Latest posts

Back