Best Place to Advertise A big horse for sale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
I have contacted the people we got Soxy from to see if they want her back, but if not we will be selling her. about 2 weeks ago she bucked my room mate off and she is still haveing issues with her back from it. Today she tried bucking me off. The boy is afraid to even go near her.

So while I do think she is trained good, she is just not for a beginner like stated, nor is she the right mix for us. With one person already hurt, I cant afford (time or money) to get injured. Luckly for me I made it to the ground safe today.

So that said where is the best place to list them to get them sold?

I think dreamhorse.com and equine.com are good places. I still have one biggie, and he's a very good boy to me when I'm on him, but ... I really appreciate minis more and more
default_biggrin.png

We sold our biggies on Horsetopia-2 within a week after posting AND in January & just sold our paint 2 weeks ago.

Hi, Just out of curiousity.......have you checked the saddle for fit? And also is the cinch/girth too tight when she bucks? If she was sold as beginner safe, maybe there are other issues with her......just a thought.

I don't blame you though, I have been bucked off many a horse as I get older, I realize coming off is no fun. Not at all, LOL. All the other suggestions are great places to look, all ones I go to when I am looking for a horse. Good luck,

I checked everything I can think of. She has had her teeth done recently so that shouldnt be the problem. Her cinch is not at all tight. Thats the first thing I have thought to check, nothing was pinched anywhere either. I can get my hand under it with out problems. The saddle is the same kind she was wareing but when we bought her we did go get her fitted for a saddle, and she has a extra thick pad like she is used to as well. Same kind of bit as well.

She was great the first few weeks but as of late she isnt. I am the only one that is able to ride her right now, and I dont have medical insurrance so dont care to chance getting hurt to bad. The goal is to get one that is safe enough for a kid, that way after we learn enough and advance she/he would be perfect for our son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you thought of it all.......too bad she isn't working out. I know what a PITA is is to horse hunt. Sounds fun, but for the most part it is not. You are constantly wondering if people are being honest, and when you get there, the horse is so not what you said you were looking for. Agh! I wish you well in the horse hunt, as well as selling this one.

Yep, equine.com is a great place to sell big horses. We sold two Arabian riding horses on there. One of the horses we were contacted about the same day we put her up on it for sale.

Geesh I'm sorry Ash. I don't get it, Socks was a kids horse and a school horse and she was fine. Have you contacted the previous owner to get her input? Maybe she can shed some light on the subject. Maybe someone is pulling on her mouth or unknowingly kicking her off? While waiting to sell, how about putting her on the lunge line saddled up first for a while, then try a ride? She could just be testing or have been used to "staying tired" by being ridding daily perhaps. Equine.com is really good. Good luck Ash and sorry you guys have been so hurt.

I've had success with dreamhorse.com

Everyone has suggested very good places. Also try freehorsesads.com or bestfarmbuys.com both good spots too. Just to let you know your not alone on the wrong first horse thing. I had to go through 3 biggies (in 4 years)before I found my morgan. I got injured, chased out of the pasture, and hubby got bucked off one of those monsters. It took me a while but we finally found him, the biggie that was ment for us.

Good luck if you continue your search but if not thats understandable too!

Leya

I have some friends going through the same thing - they bought 2 horses, their very first (besides the minis). Her horse, with some retraining is going to be okay just high energy. His horse bucked him off, spun around and kicked, grazing his cheekbone!
default_new_shocked.gif
He is very lucky he wasn't seriously injured. They started digging, after the fact, and found from the original owner that the horse had been abused at some point and was traded off with the caveat that he was ONLY for an experienced rider. Seller knew that they were very much beginners and took advantage.......so his horse is now with a trainer who specializes in rehabbing rescued/abused horses, she has already been bucked off as well and he may now just be donated to a permanent rescue home. Hard lesson to learn, but life's too short to hold on to one that will hurt you.

There are lots of good safe horses out there - buy from someone you trust, and try the horse out several times, have a trainer go with you if possible to try them. Consider they might be drugged....
default_wacko.png

Good luck, and stay safe.
default_smile.png

Jan

I did consider that she might of been drugged. However we were there long enough it should of wore off is she was. She was very good for the first several weeks.

Me personally, dont really have much desire for a rideing horse anymore, but the other injured half does.

Did you change her feed?

What are you doing before and between rides? If she's not getting enough exercise in addition to riding, that might be it.

Nope feed is the same. She doesnt get grain. When we got her she was on grass hay working out to pasture. Now she is on pasture pretty much full time until its bad weather, then she comes in and gets grass hay. She is on a smaller lot during the day, still plenty of room to run and then out on the bigger one at night. The whole place is 10 acres, so am guessing the pastures are about a total of at lest 8.

Before we ride, we groom her like normal. If she has excessive energy(which she normally dont) she gets lunged a bit. Same as we were told to do with her if she needed it.

Just heard back from the people we got her from. They dont want her back, didnt think they would. They were really worried and wanted her to go to a forever home when we bought her, but all they could say to me was to take her to a sale.

How sad, especially with her apparant issues and the way horse values are down and the costs to care for them are going up. I do hope you can find a good home for her soon.

I have had the best results on Dreamhorse, and horsetopia, and lots of word of mouth/local horse shows.

From someone who owns and handles biggies for kids on a daily basis-

Even the Best of my horses needs a tune up by Me. Not my top kid, not my assistant trainer, Me.

Having people who don't know any better or ride like a sack of flour do nothing, and even the best horse will quit after a period of time.

It sounds like this mare could have been drugged (And their are Plenty of drugs that will last at least 3 weeks, promise!) or hasn't been ridden the same way and has decidedly checked out.

I have a pony here who is a Saint, but after a few days of "up-down lessoners" as I call my smallest kids, she's getting cranky and hoppity. I hop on and re-school, or have our accupuncture/chiro take a look and fix if needed, and she's back to being a gem.

No horse will be perfect without some kind of intervention from a rider all the time. (The Only exceptions to this that I have found have one hoof in the grave so to speak.)

So at the end of the day, it may be her, it may be you folks, but not being a match can and does happen. At least you are trying to sell her now, when it is easier to sell as the summer grazing makes a difference to many peoples budgets-

I am also confused, you said previously that you wanted an older quiet horse that your SO and friends could ride, now you want an eventual kids horse>? By the time the kid would be riding, even in my youngster clubs, that horse would be pushing some serious age. Why not just wait till you Have said child who wants a pony, then go from there? Not trying to be picky, just an obvious thought to me-

I do have a said child who is 10 that does, well he did want to ride until he seen her act up.

I wanted an all around horse, for my family which equals 2 adults and a 10 year old.

Latest posts

Back