Best Mini Winter Blankets? Suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaF8

Reaction score
Dear Folks,

I am starting my search for the best (and affordable) winter blankets for my 2 girls for our trip to Alaska this coming Jan / Feb.

I want the warmest ones I can find, as we'll be traveling during the coldest months for that region.

I've been advised to make sure the trailer is full of good, deep bedding, lots of food, & that they're fully covered.

Do y'all have any other suggestions?

I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks in advance to all those who take the time to reply!
default_yes.gif

Sincerely,

MommaF8

I love the Kensington Mini Roustabout--I have both the quilted model and the waterproof turnout version. They fit great, and they stay in place, plus they are warm. They are also light, not bulky or heavy. I had one little guy blanketed all winter with these blankets (he's got some chronic health/soundness problems and so doesn't move around a lot, and he feels the cold if he isn't blanketed) and they kept him warm even on the coldest nights.

I've not hauled horses to Alaska, but I have transported horses in -35 degree weather, and I find that if the trailer is enclosed the horse generally doesn't need a heavy blanket during travel. A closed in trailer will be quite warm inside, especially if you're hauling more than one. I would suggest only light blankets or no blankets at all while travelling, but do have warmer blankets along for when you stop, and especially for any time when you might be unloading the horses. The last thing you want is for the horses to get too warm & be sweating--I've seen that happen when people blanket too heavily for transport.

I like the Mini Canadiana Storm by Glover. You can find it on the Glover website and then find a dealer to buy them through. They fit really well and survive the Canadian winter.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into the blanket you recommend.

I have to ask you...our trailer is NOT enclosed (it's a small 2 horse trailer that has the top portion above the doors open. My husband has put plywood over the side openings though.) though if there is some way to make it so, we will before heading out!

If, however, there isn't a way to do so...would you consider blanketing them then?

Thank you again for your time!
default_smile.png

Sincerely,

MommaF8

If the top portion of the back area is open and cannot be closed in, quite frankly I would NOT haul horses in it during our cold Canadian prairie winters. On a nice mild sunny day then yes, I would haul them with blankets, but if it was cold (and by "cold" I'm thinking anything colder than -15C, which would be about 5F) I would not haul them at all, and especially not on a long trip where you don't know day to day what kind of weather you might run into.

Thank you...that's what I thought!

I will do all I can to either close the top part of the trailer OR leave them here til next summer when I'll have them shipped or come back for them myself!
default_smile.png

Through what part of Alaska will you be travelling?

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but the panhandle (Juneau and surroundings) are more like western Washington and Vancouver Island...relatively mild compared to further north.

How about two blankets apiece to allow for different temperatures and the added warmth of layering? If you have just one heavy blanket, your only choice may be too warm or too cold.

We will be leaving from Spokane & going to Elmendorf AFB, just outside of Anchorage, Alaska!

We will be leaving from Spokane & going to Elmendorf AFB, just outside of Anchorage, Alaska!
You will love it up there!!! We have kids that live in Anchorage. It does get cold there but not unbearably

cold I would not hesitate using medium weight blankets. Fairbanks would be a whole other story. That's where it's really cold!!!!

We are SO excited about moving there!
default_aktion033.gif
I've wanted to live in Alaska since I was a kid. There, Montana, (where I've gotten to live for 4 years AND have my last child born there! We're either retiring in AK or MT!) & Arizona! ((My husband is from Tucson! I've gotten to visit Williams, the Grand Canyon, & the Painted Desert thus far...hope to visit more later, after he retires!))

My husband is currently in Korea (for the 2nd time!) & won't be back til sometime in early Jan. "I" get to (as usual!) do all the arranging for moving, animal certificates, arranging transportation for our furniture...so I want to get the travel arrangements & all the blankets / equiptment necessary for the horses before fall hits!
default_smile.png

I believe we can modify the trailer so that the top portion is closed. Between my 12 yo & myself, we'll get it done!
default_smile.png
We military folks are a ingenious group!
default_yes.gif

Thanks again, all who've replied! I appreciate it...& hope to hear more from you experts what you'd feed them on the way up. Anything besides good quality hay...& lots of it? Neither of them are on any sort of grain at the moment as both are butterballs!
default_smile.png

Have a great evening y'all!

Latest posts

Back