Best in Show Crocheted Afghan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
Been busy again! This one turned out to be wa-ay more work than I anticipated, because I was making it up as I went along (note to self - make the next one simpler!!) The musical score was Hubby's idea, and it gave me a name for it, too!

chickiepics102.jpg

Very pretty! My Grandma used to crochet and tried to show me many times, I guess being left handed I am challanged that way

Congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif

That is INCREDIBLE! I'm amazed, I had no idea you could do something that creative or complex with crochet. I've seen some cool open and lace work, but never something so colorful and imaginative. Its so balanced looking, and yet no two stripes are the same!

That is so nice. If I tried it would be one color and wide at one end and about very narrow at the other.

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is FANTASTIC!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

That is wonderful and gorgeous!!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

i've crocheted for 30+ years and could never even come CLOSE to doing something like that!! it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

I am IN AWE!!!! You deserve all the "BESTS" given!
default_new_shocked.gif

Talent to make such beautiful things is something I envy terribly! What a wonderful work of art!
aktion033.gif

Aw, thanks
default_blush.png

Actually, it's easier than you might think. The "fabric" is made with afghan stitch, using an afghan hook (sort of a hybrid between between a crochet hook and a knitting needle). The colors are cross-stitched on top. The tricky part is working with such large resolution.

And CZP1, I'm left-handed, too!

Very nice! My grandma tried to teach me to crochet, I never got past crooked potholders. I do a bit better with the quilting I do now.
default_wink.png

Hey CZP1, maybe we need Bunnylady to give us southpaws some crochet lessons. I've always wanted to learn. Was going to take a class at Jo Ann Fabrics but got distracted by jewelry making class and went great guns in that direction.

Still want to learn to crochet. It is such a neat feeling to make nice things that people enjoy and that I enjoy as well.

That afghan is just gorgeous!

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME !!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
What a fantastic piece of work. Kudos.

Are you saying that you crochet the whole panel and then go back and cross stitch the colored design onto it? That's how it sounds. Well, my grandma crocheted all the time (and hand quilted). So her house and everyone elses
default_yes.gif
was covered in doilies, bed covers, etc. Beautiful work and I just never learned to crochet. Quilt well, however.

I have done a LOT of cross stitching and can assure you I appreciate the time and effort that part took in the whole piece of work. Handling a large fabric is a task, in itself!

Thanks for sharing this treasure trove of talent. I like the music notes, too!

That is amazing!!!! What a beautiful piece of art! I cannot imagine being able to do something like that.You are one talented lady.

That is something that will be passed from one generation to another I am sure.

Thank you for posting this for us to see.

hugs

Bonnie

I've done some crocheting in my time too, but until you said you cross stitched the patterns on it, I had absolutely no idea how it was done. It's beautiful and I can only imagine how time consuming it was. Great Job!!
default_aktion033.gif

that is Fantastic, how long did that take you?

thanks for sharing. would look nice on my couch..for xmas..
default_yes.gif

that is Fantastic, how long did that take you?

thanks for sharing. would look nice on my couch..for xmas..
default_yes.gif
I've been thinking about giving it to my SIL as a Christmas present, I know she'd love it. She really gets into Christmas decorating (don't stand still in her house in December, you may get decorated, lol!) Only problem is that her daughter has a pit bull that would most likely shred it; how mean would it be to give her something she'd have to keep locked up away from the dog?

As to how long it took - I have no idea, but at times it seemed like forever! Crocheting the white panel took a lot longer than the cross-stitching. 250 rows of 250 repetitions of the same stitch is rather boring, really; the fact that I was eager to see how the some of the cross-stitched patterns would look didn't help!I often work with a television or some other source of distraction in the background; let's just say, I got our money's worth out of the Netflix account!

Its beautiful. You have amazing craftsmanship (and patience lol) Very nice work.

Dan.

Latest posts

Back