Best footing to use for dry lot area.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
We're going to be doing some landscaping around the barn, adding fill to raise up some areas. We live on a hill, and there is no such thing as a flat surface around here. The biggest problem we need to resolve, is the footing right in front of the barn. The horses stand there throughout the day, and the downslope to the hill actually starts not far out from the front of the barn. We dry lot, and we're starting to have sand run off. We'd like to put in some footing that is going to be more secure than sand, yet drain well, and we'd like to possibly incorporate that same footing in the stalls. I want to use something that is going to pack well, and not hurt the horses feet.

Can anyone offer suggestions on what has worked well for you?

Thank you!
default_yes.gif

We have bought and are using the very small pea sized gravel they call "screenings" in and around our barn. We also put it where the rain had washed the dirt away around our walker for the horses to have a smoother path while working out. We just had another load delivered to put where you go in and out of the barn on each side, in the spring when we have a lot of rain you can sink in above your ankles. This should help with that too.

We've had great luck with stonedust. It drains well, we never have mud or puddles no matter how hard it rains. It's packs well(almost too well....our ring footing gets hard if we dont drag it every so often). We've had great luck with it. While most people here in Maine are complaining about not being able to work horses in the spring because of mud, I am already out and working mine with no mud at all on stonedust.

Jen

Thank you very much ladies!
default_saludando.gif

Terri, is it difficult to clean up in the areas where the screenings are located, or does it become somewhat packed down?

When you first put it down it is a little loose, but after you wet it and walk on it just a day or two it packs down really hard.

Latest posts

Back