Best feed to make a 5-year-old mini mare gain weight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
Coming out of winter, both my miniature mares need to gain a bit of weight, but one in particular needs to. My 31" paint has a skinny neck and a big belly with not a very good topline. She's always been harder to keep good weight on than my other mini and I just wanted to ask your opinions on what feed I should give her, etc. They have recently been dewormed, and I got them Miniature Horse and Pony Feed to have with their grass hay (and recently, a little bit of alfalfa hay as well), but neither one of them seem very interested in eating the Mini feed, with the paint being the less interested one. Is there something I can mix with it to make it taste better, or is there an all together better grain/feed for gaining weight and putting a good topline on minis? Thank you guys so much for any info you can provide!

What kind of grass hay are you feeding (there are many types of grass hays, and they aren't all created equal)? Sounds like it could be a lack of protein in their diet, or the quality isn't there. The Mini and Pony feed is usually better for easy keepers, rather than one that needs to add weight. The alfalfa should be a good choice to help the skinny one gain some weight, it's quite nutritious and has more protein than grass hay. Even though she is only 5 years old, Triple Crown Senior (other brands might work too) might be a good choice to try on her, it has a good protein and fat level; senior feeds are easy to digest, so can be a good choice to help put on weight.

Thank you for the advice! I do need to get some better quality grass hay, because I know the stuff we're feeding is not great. Any other advice from anyone?

I agree with Chanda on the senior feed. I have one mare that gets pulled down every time she's nursing a foal. She's always been a hard keeper. My vet recommended a senior feed for her, and it's worked great. You're looking to increase the fat she's getting, and senior feeds have a higher fat content. The alfalfa hay is also a very good thing for her! More protein and as an added benefit, it's soothing on her tummy. Good luck with her. I know the frustrations of trying to put weight on one! Unlike most of mine who stay fat on air! lol

There are so many factors contributing to body condition and while the feed program is the primary one, other issues can cause weight loss. I read that you recently de wormed her, but did you run a fecal test to identify what parasites she had? Not all wormers kill all parasites so it's possible she still has worms. A big belly and skinny top line can indicate heavy worm load or in youngsters, not enough protein in the diet. While unsatisfactory body condition usually indicates a lack of something, there are other factors leading to poor body condition. Have her teeth been checked/ floated? How much do you feed her now and what was she eating before the mini pony? I agree that what she is eating now does not appear adequate. Personally, I like mini pony for my easy keepers, in my experience people dislike a feed because they are not feeding it right or not feeding a horse it is designed for. It is a maintenance feed for easy keepers, NOT a breeding animal, senior or performance feed. An easy keeper or over weight pet pony has VERY different needs than a growing youngster, lactating broodmare or show jumper in heavy work. Just my opinion. I used to manage a feed dealership and often dealt with clients who had issues finding the right feed as there is no "one size fits all" ration. Senior feed is often used to put weight on thin horses and many seniors have weight issues. But perhaps your mare would benefit from a junior horse feed designed for growing bodies as 5 is still young. Hay forage is so important to the horse's diet as it makes up the majority of their diet. Alfalfa sounds like it would benefit your mare greatly. If you cannot find it (we had a bad hay season last year and everyone is short on hay this year) you can add alfalfa pellet or cube to the feed ration with quality grass hay. Research has shown that many horses benefit greatly from high-fat diets. You may find success adding stabilized rice bran or a supplement containing it such as Athlete or sunshine pellets (not sure what is available in your area). There are weight gain supplements and builders to add to feed for hard keepers, but in my opinion, quality feed and hay is a better investment. Some horses have difficulty processing feed and fully benefit from their feed and pro and pre biotics can help. I like source micro nutrients supplements and pro bios. I agree that your feed program needs reevaluating but I advise checking her teeth and parasite load. Remember to make feed adjustments slowly so as not to cause colic. An evaluation from a vet or nutritionist may help.

Latest posts

Back