Best exercises to get a "fit" and "toned" mini for showing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I was wondering what are some good exercises for toning a mini's belly and getting that fit look as well as a nice round back? There is a show coming up, and even though it is just an open show, I do not want my mini to be the fattest one there!
default_laugh.png

A little about my mini and her lifestyle: We are getting her teeth done next week, and even with some sharp points she is still fat, and hoping with her teeth getting done she doesn't gain even more weight! I have taken her off the dry lot paddock with her friends because they get a lot of grass hay and that made her belly big as well. So now she is kept in her stall, or in a dry lot on nice days, so that she is alone and I can give her ONLY what SHE NEEDS and not the extra hay. She is given 1/2- 3/4 of a flake of timothy compressed hay twice a day, not sure how much it is weight wise. No grain right now. I am starting to lunge her again. We will be working on cart training after next week, which will take a while but will be good exercise.

The show I am thinking of going to is not until June 26 but still need to get the training in for halter and jumping courses as well as getting her fit... and me ;P

Any exercises you do would be greatly appreciated! Also, am I feeding too much or just right? I know I won't see results over night but I don't want to make her even fatter.

Thanks!

Are you able to post some pictures for us to see?

Do you have any hills around you ? They are great for toning and building muscle.
default_smile.png

Lunging with sweats on "problem" areas. Lunging with ground poles. Lunging while bitted up (if your horse is in the bridle and knows what a bit/bit pressure is). We do a lot of round penning when that is available, instead of using a lunge line, but don't have one set up anymore.

It is not uncommon for people to confuse a "hay belly" with being fat. In fact, it is the opposite. A large belly is a sign of not enough GOOD nutrition. Not enough protein, vitamins and minerals. It would help if you posted pics of your mare.

This is her. It is hard to tell since she is solid black!

From the front you can see her belly stick out to the side some. I have not been giving grain because I do not want her even fatter. My friend mentioned buying Probiotics, the kind she uses for her mini is LMF 911. She doesn't think my mini is fat, but I would still like to see some weight off/muscle and toned. Am I wrong?

PS: Right now only her head and neck are shaved, will be shaving her completely soon.

sophie 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You say you are not giving any grain. That's OK - if your hay is of top quality. Timothy is typically much lower in protein, but for an easy keeper, it is OK - but ONLY if it is cut at the right time. If it is allowed to grow too long before being cut, it is basically nothing but filler and will contribute to a hay belly which is NOT fat. If you aren't sure of the quality of your hay, you can ask your County Extension Agent to do an analysis or point you to someone who can. If it was cut "old" it will be very low in protein, and then if you want your mare to get in better shape, you would need to add some grain to improve the vitamins and mineral intake.

Latest posts

Back