Best Dog Foods??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Now I know this topic may have a wide range of opinions but that is Ok just want to hear what you all think???

Seems we hear a lot today about which dog foods are the best. I have even read that the brands are displayed by best quality/price in the stores. They put the better ones in the first rows of foods with the cheapest brands in the last rows at the back of the store. Hmmmm.....

We have 3 dachshunds two are 9 and 1 is 13 so they are all older dogs. Then we have a 10 month old Lab. The dachshunds are fed Iams and the Lab gets Eukanuba for large breed puppies. My vet has said they both are good brands but I have been considering changing to the higher end brands. When checking ingredients I see that the more natural ones have more meat and vegetables as they are listed first rather than the ones we feed. Now the dachshunds have been eating the Iams for many years just changing the age groups but the same brand, but I still may switch them...... The lab I think will be Ok to change as she may go to first year level fairly soon. Of course all the dogs would get a mix of new and old food to get them used to a new food.

So lets hear what brand you all use. How well your dogs are doing on them. Also do you think it has affected their lovngenity????

We lost our 2 female dachshunds this past year
default_sad.png
Rylee had a sudden onset of a brain tumor and died quickly she was only 10. Gracie her daughter was paralyzed, she woke up one morning that way and lived in a wheelchair for almost 3 years but suddenly went downhill in general health. She was only 8.
default_sad.png
Not saying it was their food that made them ill but what if????

I own Dachshunds. :)

I prefer grain free with an uncommon protein source (no chicken or beef).

I feed mine Earthborn Coastal Catch, currently.

Only protein source is fish, it's holistic and grain free.

For years I fed Natural Balance Duck & Potato, they loved it. I only switched because of trying to eliminate a food allergy in one Dachshund.

I have Dachshunds that range from 1.5 yrs to 5 yrs. along with an very very senior Pointer Mix, all get the same food.. That's why I love an all life stages food -- puppies to senior, big to small; same food.

My top favorite brands are: Orijen, Natural Balance and Earthborn.

Not a fan from my Blue Buffalo trials even though there is so much hype about it.

List a dog food and I've probably had to sit through a day long seminar about it for work or I've done my own trials.

I've used Iams weight control because my mixed breed dog is overweight. Then I heard their food isn't recommended by vets so I'm trying Rachael Rays dog food. Not sure I'll stay with it.

I tried 1 bag of Orijen for my 17# terrier and it was not the right food for him. He is too greedy and needed more crunching. When I gave him the same amount of Orijen, he got fat before my eyes. I did not like the smell, either. It smells "alive". I'm sure that is the wonderful thing about it, being natural meat, but I didn't like it.

I've used Foster & Smith chicken and brown rice adult for the 4 years I've had him. He seems to do well on it. I order it by phone. It costs about $15 a month for my one dog. It has no corn or wheat in it. I went back to it after trying the Orijen.

I try to avoid things that have corn or wheat middlings. But I overheard a couple in the donut shop last week who were buying donuts to take home to their Great Danes. The Danes had never eaten anything but people food. One had died at the age of 19 and the other was 17. I never heard of a Dane living that long, so maybe we should be feeding donuts!

Sadly I believe it is whatever works for an individual's dog,....one may need limited ingredient foods,another anything that will keep weight on them, as long as the dog is healthy with a great coat so be it. Top shelf food laced with gold is of no value if a dog can't keep it down. Just like horses, I don't believe their is one answer for every situation.

When discussing my food allergy ridden mini Aussie with individuals I often hear "well what brands have you tried" and I tell them she is beyond commercial dog food. Yeast, potatos, beef, venison, corn are just a few of the things she can not have. Just to clarify for those that have not read my posts on her, we're not talking itchy skin and upset tummy, we are talking major vomiting and severe bloody stools. She has severe food allergies.

What I feed her may make many cringe,but she is doing well on it.......canned salmon, cooked oatmeal, honey and cheese, in that order of content, all ingredients she does not have a food allergy to. She keeps it down, she gained a bit of weight, coat is great,and while still looking very thin, she does not look like she will fall over from a stiff breeze.

My sister's vet is amazed with her dogs coat, weight and muscle tone, she feeds him cheepy cheep cheep Old Roy. Cringe full by many, but it works for her dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed Natural Balance Limited ingredient Salmon and Sweet Potatoe and have been very happy with it.

I do agree with Carolyn, that every dog is different...I try to feed the best I can but have known people who have fed kibble that scores so low on the charts, like Ol Roy, etc...and their dog lived to a ripe old age, very healthy with no problems.

I also have a dog that developed food allergies later in life, he is now 8 and a chihuahua/papillion mix. I have tried several and he just won't eat them. Latest was Chicken Soup food. He does like Natures Recipe Grain Free any type, he does well on it so back to that now. He stops scratching, his skin clears up and his coat gets thicker. So will not change food again with him. The other dog, a chihuahua, 3 years old, will eat anything thats not nailed down and has a cast iron stomach. There isn't a food she won't eat so I cater to the other one of course.

All depends on your dog. I switch up dog foods sometimes, I don't want to be some dog food test market and I study labels. I don't like corn in the top ingredients and I don't like anything by product meal as main ingredient.

WHole dog journal did a write up about different dog foods and ratings, you can google and purchase their past issues to get more information first hand. Whole dog journal is awesome.

I feed mainly Verus' chicken and rice. good food, good price.

I needed a puppy food, normally I steer clear of the science diet line, however... they have greatly improved their product and they have a new line of dog foods that are expensive but really good on balance and ingredients. The original puppy food is mainly corn, but the new line of food is chicken meal. They have a new senior food for the over 11 year old "age defying". very small kibble and my old picky senior advanced cardio issue two cresteds that love to freak me out by not eating are actually barking at feeding time and scarfing this new food right up. Anything that gets my senior dogs to eat is something I promote as good. My min pin that lived to 18 years old was on the verus food for the last 8 years of her life and did very well as far as weight and liver and kidney function.

My dogs never did good on Iams or blue buffalo. I had three dogs get UTI infections when I switched to blue buffalo. Could have been coincidence... but I did switch.

One thing that I truly believe has given my dogs extended years is the reduction of vaccinations. No more often than every three years and no matter what.. don't get talked into vaccinating your advanced senior dogs ... no matter what.

I have 6 dogs in my house currently over the age of 9, two are 14, two are 10 and two are 9 and we have a new puppy too.

I have always found the topic of nutrition very fastinating and I have been monitoring overall health vs nutriton on my dogs for many years. My puppy had a drug resistant bacteria UTI when she came and I really got wild about checking labels and trying different dog foods. She had struvite crystals in abundance. The only thing that worked for her was the newer science diet puppy dry, some Core wellness wet food mixed in, adding water and cranberry powder and probiotics to her food. When we hit the third antibiotic I knew it was up to diet management.

Thats why I say... depends on the dog... Every breed every dog is an individual and react differently to dog foods.. that said... I never have found a decent dog food in the grocery store that I would give to my dog. Stick with high quality dog foods and if you go grain free.. please watch that protein content. It can be very high and that can be a problem in some old dogs but managed correctly can be an awesome dog food for dogs with allergies.

We switch up our dog foods occasionally...with 5 dogs, some get bored with a certain flavor or we just don't see the energy level we think they should have. Plus we read labels and reviews on different brands. Currently we are feeding Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken and Vegetable Mix, which is a high end brand. The dogs LOVE it. We always use grain-free and always have the meat as a first ingredient.

Boss Mare...interested to hear why you choose an "uncommon protein source" (like duck and salmon) over chicken and beef?

For packaged brands, I think Nutro Natural Choice, Kirkland (Costco), and Authority (Petsmart) are very good quality... but some of the most expensive and best quality foods have had serious recalls. I like to give our dogs a good quality dry / kibble (the before mentioned versions) and for the wet food, make it myself. Eggs, chicken, rice... We give them dog vitamins as well, which probably they "pee out" like I think us people probably do, but I'm scared not to give them and take them. I actually think most of our dogs (and I mean US as a whole. not just mine) probably eat better than many kids in our Nation, and kids in our Nation get to eat the best of the best (not that the choices are always ideal, but we have any choice you can imagine).

When it comes to dog foods, what worries me are the recalls. I know lots of kids grow up on boxed mac & cheese and hot dogs. I don't think that's killed any of them quickly. I like making food for our dogs, but some of them do act like they hit the lottery should we pop open a can of canned dog food! Ticks me off when that happens LOL!

We switch up our dog foods occasionally...with 5 dogs, some get bored with a certain flavor or we just don't see the energy level we think they should have. Plus we read labels and reviews on different brands. Currently we are feeding Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken and Vegetable Mix, which is a high end brand. The dogs LOVE it. We always use grain-free and always have the meat as a first ingredient.Boss Mare...interested to hear why you choose an "uncommon protein source" (like duck and salmon) over chicken and beef?
Not positive on Boss Mare's reply, but in the case of my severe food allergy ridden dog, a protien source that is less commonly used tends to have less of an allergy risk. Unfortunately my dog has issues with many common meats.....beef, veal, lamb, venison, bison, were among some of the allergy positive food, chicken tested ok, but unless it is freerange and fed corn free she has a reaction to it, same with eggs, so we stay away from them.

Just wanting to chime in again, I think avoiding corn and gluten is good for most dogs, and probably most people. But if a dog has allergies, it may be necessary to go to starches and proteins the dog has not had before. That's why a lot of the "allergy" types of foods use things like salmon and sweet potatoes. Or other "odd" combos. I still think, if you have the time, you can make something on your own that will not contain a real poison. These food recalls the past years have really rattled me. If food companies were held to a much higher financial liability than what it costs us to get a new puppy (like our dogs are replaceable), maybe it would be a different story.

My vets rule of thumb is to leave the fish and potato and limited ingredient diets alone unless you need them for an issue. She gets worried when folks use up all the "go to options" for allergies for their animals because the food sounds cool or popular. Save the fish and potato allergy type choices for when your dog has an allergy, not to prevent allergies.

That said, I have had soooo many dogs in my life that could not handle beef so I do avoid beef and prefer chicken and I don't feed any of those rawhide and gross dog treats that are loaded with preservatives. Personally I see more allergies from the treats folks give dogs to chew on rather than from a high quality dog food. I do avoid corn as an ingredient, will never feed something with corn as number 1 ingredient in list. Don't like by products either, makes too much poop and is ground up beaks and toenails and other things I just don't want going in and out of my dog.

Latest posts

Back