Best Dewormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what are the best and the most safe dewormers that can be given to minis? Let me know your experiences.

I have always used ivermectin (usually the generic version) on our minis. I do not rotate, other than in the spring and in the fall, I use the "new" ivermectin "gold" stuff. Supposedly, with ivermectin, there is no resistance. Some still believe you should rotate it with another dewormer, but I do not.

When I have purchased very wormy horses (has happened 2x), I have double dosed them with panacur / safe guard.

One dewormer that should never, ever be used on minis is Quest, which may also now come in generic or other named knock offs.

Ivermectin, Strongid, Panacur, and Safeguard are all safe wormers.

Quest is not.

MA

About All dewormer are very safe for minis with the Exception of Quest~!! irst choice is Ivermectin very very safe for minis, and all Equines~!

We rotate between Safe-Guard (Fenbendazole), Ivermectin, and Strongid (Pyrantel Pamoate). I don't always use the name brand wormers. Check for the active ingredients and often you can save as much as 1/2 by going with a less known brand.
biggrin.gif

For broodmares and show horses, I like to use a continuous wormer.

On the QUEST wormer comments- agree 100% - just don't use it . My vet, who is a competative rider herself, recently got a free sample of QUEST in the mail. In her words "I had to either decide which of my horses I wanted to kill, or throw it away".
unsure.gif

The active ingredient in Quest is Moxidectin .. I recently saw another wormer with the same active ingredient, so check your labels before buying.

[SIZE=14pt]I use strongid C 2X daily wormer and then I give Ivermectin quarterly.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Jill said:
I have always used ivermectin (usually the generic version) on our minis.  I do not rotate, other than in the spring and in the fall, I use the "new" ivermectin "gold" stuff.  Supposedly, with ivermectin, there is no resistance.  Some still believe you should rotate it with another dewormer, but I do not.
When I have purchased very wormy horses (has happened 2x), I have double dosed them with panacur / safe guard.

One dewormer that should never, ever be used on minis is Quest, which may also now come in generic or other named knock offs.

437777[/snapback]

For anyone who does not use anything except Ivermectrin, please learn from my loss. We had a 3 1/2 month old filly a few years ago that had been dewormed with Ivermectrin at 7 days and again at 2 months. At 3 1/2 months old she died from roundworm impaction. They were so severe that when she was tubed for colic treatment, she refluxed worms through the nasogastric tube
no.gif

Our vet then told us that roundworms and strongles are showing increased resistance to Ivermectrin and stressed that Panacur, Safeguard or Strongid should ALWAYS be used on foals and young horses, with Ivermectrin started at about 3 months and continuing on rotation with one of the other 3. We had 0 roundworm problems until I traded for a filly that was apparently infested with them
no.gif

This is what we use and then also liquid ivermectrin (used orally). It is VERY cost effective too! For everyone except babies, I can just stir it into their grain!

Safeguard Suspension

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back