Bertie update.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsfizz

Reaction score
OK, this is sort of topical as Bertie is not quite three years old and was started in harness....when??

Three weeks ago??

Maybe a bit more, gosh, I can't remember ...ARGH I'm getting old....older
default_smile.png

Anyhoo, back to the point.

Bert is now driving and NO, I am sorry I do not have any pictures as it is very hard to take pictures of yourself and if I tie him up to take pictures of him I shall (very rightly) get yelled at!

He is still in the four wheel as I can't get the shafts on the two wheel (cold+ old age+ arthritis) and it has SNOWED here and so the entire country ground to a halt and everyone refused to drive (all of three inches...well, OK there was a foot but it's still not Colorado) so no help around.

And the county has run out of salt and grit so doing anything, including walking to the shops has been a laugh a minute.

I am digressing again, did you notice??

So Bertie is now pulling the four wheeler without shafts, + me, on my "working" reins (insert"two lovely padded lunge reins") and a halter (in the safety of my own field. Please do not try this on the highway) but really he is working to voice, and he knows what he is doing, too.

He reminds me of the horses that used to pull the milk carts, they really only needed the Milkman because they could not lift the milk bottle with their hooves, they know where to go and when to stop, far better than the Milkman did!!

Bertie wriggles into the harness (just the breast collar and traces and a strap to stop the traces getting under his legs) turns in and stands and then shoves me with his nose if I take too long.

I do have to keep reminding him that he has to wait til I say "Go" but he's just a baby, so I'm not getting tough with him, and honestly, I could not have managed this last two weeks without him, my walking has been very bad and he has been a Godsend, he really has.

My feed merchant could not get to the field to deliver so I went down to the road with the cart and Bert and picked it up from there, after he had finished laughing we wiped the smile off his face by taking off across the field with 3cwt of feed on board, no sweat!!

I am really enjoying having a driving horse again, it has been about, I think, ten years since I have had one of my own to keep and enjoy, and more than that he is really just such a good chap, so willing and so solid.

He is never going to win a halter class, he is built like a brick outhouse, but handsome is as handsome does, I say.

We have a harness class beginning of April and I have borrowed a Jerald, so I'll get pictures of that, if nothing else, but I hope I can get some before then!!

Wow, I'm really having fun with this boy, I'm so glad I gave him the chance to work, he was a pain in the backside before this, and now we really have a bond.

Yay!!!! Let's hear it for the GELDINGS, especially those that drive......
default_smile.png
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Sounds like alot of fun!

Will be anxious for the photos someday!

Peggy

That sounds great!

Had to laugh though as we live in Colorado and I have yet to see 3 inches of snow 08/09 season. Maybe we will get some springs storms. Ive been able to drive all year no problem no mud no mess. Maybe you need move here
default_smile.png

Way to go Girl and way to go Bertie...sounds like you two are off to an awesome start..I will look forward to see your winning photos

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

lis

I'm sorry, I can't help it, every time I see his name my silly brain says "Bertie the bus". . . .Can you tell my kids like Thomas the Tank engine?
default_rolleyes.gif

Good job both of you! Bertie sounds like a little kid, so glad to be helping he gets a bit carried away. I wonder if I can persuade my mini mule to be so helpful?

rabbitsfizz said:
Bert is now driving and NO, I am sorry I do not have any pictures as it is very hard to take pictures of yourself and if I tie him up to take pictures of him I shall (very rightly) get yelled at!
Sorry, I can't help giggling. If there's no one there to take photos, then who is going to yell at you?!
default_new_rofl.gif
I'm sorry, I'm so bad....
default_wink.png

rabbitsfizz said:
My feed merchant could not get to the field to deliver so I went down to the road with the cart and Bert and picked it up from there, after he had finished laughing we wiped the smile off his face by taking off across the field with 3cwt of feed on board, no sweat!!
I love the fact this little guy is getting a real job. How cool is that that he gets to not only learn something fun but be of real use?
default_wub.png
That's so rare these days.

rabbitsfizz said:
Wow, I'm really having fun with this boy, I'm so glad I gave him the chance to work, he was a pain in the backside before this, and now we really have a bond.Yay!!!! Let's hear it for the GELDINGS, especially those that drive......
default_smile.png
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_multi.gif
I hear ya!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Sometimes those bratty boys are just bored and begging for a job.

Looking forward to pictures!

Leia

Sounds like you and Bertie are having a lot of fun! 10 years without a driving horse ... I can't imagine.

Yay!!!! Let's hear it for the GELDINGS, especially those that drive......
default_smile.png
default_new_multi.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_multi.gif
With an exorbinant number of driving geldings, we definitely agree!!

I'm so excited for you and Bertie! Gotta love those geldings; I sure do! I had to laugh about the "Bertie the bus" comment. I have a two year old Thomas fan and that's exactly what came to my mind, too. lol

Ah Jane, you do put a smile on my face!!
default_biggrin.png
Sounds like you and Bertie are having a great time. Can't wait to see pics one day.

Jane, I'm SO glad you have Bertie to help you get things done. Sounds like you have a great partner and friend! Give him a hug for me ok? God love him
default_wub.png

I'm dying to see pics of him when you can!
default_biggrin.png

Love your commentary on Bertie...Does Bertie YELL at you??

Cant wait to see pix of you 2 driving.

Missy

You are bad people, making fun of an old lady!!
default_wink.png

If I tied Bertie up to take a picture of him in harness I think that you lot would shout at me for tying up a horse in harness, not that Bert would shout at me..........................although, come to think of it......................

Jane,

I'm so glad to see you start a thread and tell about one of your own horses. You rarely do that, and it is always a joy. I too am anxious to see photos. Surely someone would assist you.

Edited to add: Would love to see pictures of the snow too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are bad people, making fun of an old lady!!
default_wink.png
If I tied Bertie up to take a picture of him in harness I think that you lot would shout at me for tying up a horse in harness, not that Bert would shout at me..........................although, come to think of it......................
Just poking you alittle...
default_smile.png
Glad its working out for you and Bertie...

Hi

Yes, I would love to hear how Bertie got his name! So glad you are enjoying your horses once again.

The only horse I "drive" these days is my old boy, my Rowdy son he is is 27. I have started a few others over the years, but do not consider that driving as I have to be "on my toes" for them. I love my "ole boy" though as he literally comes to life when driving him and is SO DEPENDABLE, I can put my feet on the floor board rail and drop my reins if I want and he still does what he is supposed to do. I have had him 10-11 years now and have never met or known a horse as dependalbe as he is with driving.

I have often thought "if this is the only transportation I have", how much time would it take me to get to the feed store, grocery store and how often would have to go? Glad I have a truck though.................
default_smile.png

Beth

Back