Belly sweats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madypaige2009

Reaction score
I just currently bought a belly sweat for my horses. I have tried everything from dieting to increasing their work load. So I was wondering if I could get any tips on using them. I do not plan on using it during the winter. I was wondering if you use them while they are working or if you just leave them on them for a certain amount of time during the day?

Ive never used them on my minis b/c I dont show too much any more. However when I showed arabians we worked horses in neoprene swets for about a half hour to forty five minutes then cooled them out in their stalls with the sweat still on for another half hour. We used to leave the fleece or wool throat and jowel wraps on all of the time. I had a boarding client leave a belly wrap on over 36 hrs and it caused skin irritation to her mare.

We had a mini that could get fat on air!!
default_yes.gif
:yes So we got a belly sweat and worked her in it. We work our minis in a roundpen, about 20-30 minutes. We work up to that, usually 10 min. to start. Anyway, we may not have done it the right way, but when done, we took the wrap off and wiped all the sweat off of her. We never left any kind of wraps on our horses, just during workouts. It worked on her.

Pam

if your hay is too fiborous then it can cause the belly to be big, I personally haven't found a belly sweat useful. Trotting builds the topline, cantering tucks the belly. A lot of trainers feed beet pulp instead of hay during show season, or alfalfa cubes so they don't get too much fiber to bloat them up.

Latest posts

Back