Belly pictures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
I'd love to share belly pictures of our black and white pinto who we were surprised to learn that was preggers from a full size donkey (done by the people we bought her from) She was suppose to have been given an abort shot. Do the shots always work, or did he lie to us?

Sorry I don't know how to post straight onto the board (seems I have forgotten how), but here are links for you....

front:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db0...CasW7hoxbA9vPhw

Side Standing a bit funny from the weight and eating low. We have since raised her feed pan:

From the rear You can see her milk bags a little in this picture.

I wonder how soon we can expect to see a foal? This was taken this past Sat.

Poor thang, she is so miserable. This is her 1st.

I hope all goes well for her when she delivers. When is she due? Soon I hope? She does not really look overly large, so hopefully all will be OK and she will be able to deliver on her own, but try your best to be there to assist. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor girl. How tall is she? I'd suggest making sure you are there too. The fullsize donkeys can be just 36" and still be "fullsize" so maybe he wasn't really big. Something else I've learned is a maiden mare might not accept a mule foal. Not every first timer but it has happened. The mules smell differently than a horse foal.

The maiden we had didn't want that thing around her and no way was he going to nurse. She was in pain from the delivery and very confused. If you can be there to at least help her accept the foal, it would be good.

What are we going to do with the foal? My daughter wants to keep it.

We will either keep it or find a good home for it. My hubby isn't sold on keeping a mule. But whatever we do, it won't go through an auction and it won't go to a questionable home. It will be loved. We are particular about our animals.

Minimule... I don't know just how tall the donkey measured, but her back was right at the underline of the donkeys belly.

That would be perfect if she foaled on Memorial Day. I will be home all day long that day!

We had her looked at yesterday and was told that about 1- 1 1/2 weeks she should have it and that she doesn't appear overly big. My concern is the foals head and shoulder size. That was also their concern as well.

If I do catch her in foal, I will rub vinella on the mares nose to kind of distort the babys smell. My dad always did that when his mares were foaling so that there would be no chance of a problem. Whether it worked or not, he never had a problem of rejection. I just hope if that baby lets out a bray, the mom won't go, "ACK! What was THAT!" lol

I will keep you all updated as things go along.

Poor Momma. I always feel for them when they reach the last stages of pregnancy (no doubt comes from have been there done that lol) As to the abort shot, no they don't always work so the previous owner may have given her one and it failed to end the pregnancy. On the other hand it is also possible that he didn't and just said he did, either way it is the same result for your mare. The mules i have known don't actually bray like a donkey BTW, they sound about half way between a horse and a donkey. It always starts out more like a horses whinny and then gets lost along the way lol. The one I've got can do a nicker but a whinny defeats him in the end.:D

Reignmaker... that is so funny, what you said about the noise they make! Gave me the giggles!

The more I read from you all, the more excited I become. The shock of it all is now wearing off and I am feeling much better. :)

My daughter has already named it if it is a colt..... Shasta

I think it's a cute name. Told her that name would work for colt or filly. She says, No Way Mom! lol.

LOL Kids, they always have such FIRM ideas. Shasta is a great name (I agree it fits both but obviously your daughter thinks otherwise
default_smile.png
) Ours came to us as an adult and already named Festus. I thought the name was pretty good so I never tried to change it. He knows his name too so he'd probably ignore me if I called him something else, altho he does get Mr Mule a lot. Festus has proven to me that mules are smarter than most horses. They are a thinking animal more than a reacting one it seems. I once had to remove porcupine quills from his nose (okay curiosity might have killed the cat but mules are just too nosy lol) He stood like a trooper thro the whole thing, every time I pulled a bunch (lost count after 30) he'd turn his face away and scrunch his eyes shut, then let me turn his head back and pull some more. We were there for about 20 minutes pulling and checking to be sure we got them all and he never fought me once. Just an example of how different mules are than horses.Festus is off to a new home this weekend. The people fell in love with him and started bugging me to sell. I finally agreed because they will have more time for him than I do (plus hubby wants me to down size some and focus on the minis and I know he's right) I'm glad you are feeling a bit excited about this foal. Once its here I'll bet it wins your hearts, baby mules are pretty darn cute.

YOUCH! Those quills are serious pain. What a brave trooper, Festus was!

Glad to hear he will have a good, loving home.

Hubby was talking to our daughter this morning, giving her a hug. He asked her... "Your not going to let us get rid of that ol' mule baby when Jessie has it, are you?" Shaking her head, she said, "no". He laughed and said, "I didn't think so, you already have it named." LOL... so I guess we will be adding a mule to our mix. I hope this one will be a thinker like your Festus, and hope that he has a personality that my hubby will attach to strongly. (He has had some bad experiences with horses in the past as well as being inexperienced, so he has a hard time enjoying them like the rest of us do. Maybe he will eventually ride again.... I can always hope! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back