Belle 2021

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is your mare, Elizabeth? Any changes since Monday? I’m super excited to follow along and be an “Auntie” lol. I’ve been “stalking” all the mare stare threads and it made me excited! One day I want to breed a mini and get a foal as well. But for now, I’ll have to settle for following along and living vicariously through this forum!

Absolutely will. That’s part of why it’s hard foaling out minis. There is no firm rule book that they follow. There are guidelines, but even those are hit and miss. I will spend hrs watching and worrying until she foals. To me it is absolutely worth it to have a healthy mare and foal.

Absolutely will. That’s part of why it’s hard foaling out minis. There is no firm rule book that they follow. There are guidelines, but even those are hit and miss. I will spend hrs watching and worrying until she foals. To me it is absolutely worth it to have a healthy mare and foal.
Yeah that totally makes sense! Oh for sure it is! Honestly hearing all these stories even about sleepless nights make me want to do it in the near future! Actually with my mare Spirit, I was supposed to have a foal. I got her from my great uncle and he raised minis for a while and bred her for me, but I think she lost the foal. She had foaled once before that but a coyote got it :( so now I want I a second chance to have a foal soon!

Awww I am sorry. It is hard to lose a foal. Foals are a lot of fun...and work lol. But it is an amazing experience
Thanks, yeah it was hard. We were sure she was, we thought we felt foal movement so I’m not really sure what happened. I do know I want to give it another try though!!

Awww I am sorry. It is hard to lose a foal. Foals are a lot of fun...and work lol. But it is an amazing experience
Also question. I’m watching your mare on the camera, and I was wondering what sort of camera and software/setup you use? Curious as when I have my mare foaling I’d like to do this too 👍🏼

So I upgraded to a night owl system this last winter. I used to have a single zosi camera that worked well until it got hit by a strom with a tornado. The program is called marewatchers. It is easy to use and is great to have help watching. The facebook group for marewatchers has thousands of people. Not all watch but a lot do. So lots of extra eyes.

So I upgraded to a night owl system this last winter. I used to have a single zosi camera that worked well until it got hit by a strom with a tornado. The program is called marewatchers. It is easy to use and is great to have help watching. The facebook group for marewatchers has thousands of people. Not all watch but a lot do. So lots of extra eyes.
Oh nice! Do either of those cost an arm and a leg or not really? And does there have to be internet out there for it to work? If so, how do you deal with that?

The zosi camera was super cheap. Like $10. The night owl was more expensive because it’s a full system that can have up to 8 cameras. Marewatchers does either a yearly subscription or a month by month. I THINK it’s like $25 a month or $50 a year. There are a few pieces you have to get for it to work. But you can even rent them from the program. It does run off WiFi. My stalls are too far away so I ran coax cable from the camera to the house and the WiFi. I prefer hardwired anyway. So it’s not a huge issue for me. And the tech team helps you walk through everything.

The zosi camera was super cheap. Like $10. The night owl was more expensive because it’s a full system that can have up to 8 cameras. Marewatchers does either a yearly subscription or a month by month. I THINK it’s like $25 a month or $50 a year. There are a few pieces you have to get for it to work. But you can even rent them from the program. It does run off WiFi. My stalls are too far away so I ran coax cable from the camera to the house and the WiFi. I prefer hardwired anyway. So it’s not a huge issue for me. And the tech team helps you walk through everything.
Okay gotcha, sounds not too hard haha! I’ll definitely be looking more into all this when/if I have a mare in foal!!

Sure! Just a bit around her udder and belly. Makes it easier to see development and also helps the foal nurse. Also did a bit on her overgrown bridle path.

Attachments

• 2A6B25E3-663B-4D4E-A333-35E00E502C49.jpeg
    2A6B25E3-663B-4D4E-A333-35E00E502C49.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back