Beginning Quilter-maybe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
I have often thought I would like to try my hand at machine quilting. I don't have a machine for a large quilt; but thought I could start with a small project. I am sure that is what one should do anyway. I have a Viking Emerald machine. Any suggestions on starting out? Projects? Necessary basic supplies? Etc.?

Just go for it…but be sure to use a walking foot when you quilt. I started out hand quilting and was so disappointed with my first machine quilted piece as I didn't know about the walking foot. It makes a big difference when you quilt the layers together.

Hope to hear how it goes!

I might already have one; but I will check at the store where I got the machine. The machines are sold in the store, but by the company, I guess. I have had this machine for about 3 years now. I know they will try to sell me one of the larger quilting machines,LOL! I will have to pick up one of the paperback books there too for beginning quilting I guess. Maybe a pillow or wall hanging to start? I have a lot of fabric scrap or even yardage that is actually from the quilting selections.

Wall hangings, table runners, placemats and baby quilts are all good sizes to start learning machine quilting. I'm not very adventuresome, so I still just quilt straight lines on pretty much everything.

I would suggest a placemat for your dog. Just large enough to hold his/her water and feed dishes. This will give you plenty of area for experimenting with piecing and quilting and you will have something that doesn't have to be perfect but is still useful…and washable too!

Lois

Oh, I like the doggy placemat idea! Then I can swap and wash! Also want to try the other things too.

Latest posts

Back