Beginner Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniM@m@

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old 34” gelding that my kiddos ride. He is saddle & hackamore broke, very responsive, and well behaved.

I am debating breaking him to drive, but worried about the old adage “green + green = black & blue”. I have horse experience, but no driving experience.

I would mainly drive (for the immediate future) in a large dirt arena, but as our confidence & skills progress - would venture out on trails & remote roads.

I have been using Mindy Schroder’s book … “Step by Step Guide to Training a Miniature Horse To Drive” as my point of reference.

My questions are… is this a bad idea? Would I do better to add a mini with driving experience? He’s 8… and been around the block. He is in his prime and not a green horse - just cart green.

For those of you that have done this, what would you estimate is the number of hours you put in a week, and how long it took to achieve? I know it depends on the horse & quality of training exercises, just looking for a ballpark.

And lastly, what resources have you found helpful?

TIA, I learned so much from my blanketing post and that was such a small topic in comparison! 🤣

Since you are horse savvy, I say go for it!!! Just go slow, follow all the steps and take your time. They will let you know when they are ready to move on or if you are going too fast.

It doesn’t hurt to add more ponies to your herd, so yes, by all means get a few more too! Then maybe you could have a team or a 4 in hand!! 💕💕

I started ground driving Breezy a month or so ago. He will be 2 in March and will probably mature right at 34 inches. I plan to hook him to the cart come fall or early winter for short drives.… if he is ready, he is a wild child right now 🤣🤣 For now I plan to ground drive him everywhere, parks, the neighborhood…. anywhere he can get experience and see the sights of the world. I’m in no rush, it takes as long as it takes.

Stormy I started the same way. He is now almost 4 and has turned out to be an excellent little trail pony. He does better out on trails & in parks than he does at home. I think he gets bored too easily at home. He needs something to challenge his mind and get him thinking.

This is pretty much how I have started all my ponies. Just don’t rush it and take your time, they are all different and learn differently. Your boy is older, more wiser, and more mature so it shouldn’t take as long. Good luck!! Safety first!

Some horses can be ridden but not driven. But sounds like your guy is sensible and might enjoy a new job. You'll be able to tell if he is happy working in harness. If your children have outgrown him, it will be nice for your family to continue to enjoy him in a cart. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back