Before and after - what a difference.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
I wanted to share how my gelding name Duke is looking. I love how he has changed over the last few months. I am still working with him on his manners. He is a 4 yr old and wasn't handled much so we are learning to lead, stand tied, etc.

The first two pictures are from April 2012, the next two were taken Aug 22, 2012.

He has lost a good amount of weight, no longer has a thick neck, can turn his neck.

He has a line down his back from the top of his head down to his tail. I think he is a silver dun, what are your thoughts?

He measures 34" so I can register him AMHA, his dam is Sweetwaters Dark Seceret 33.75" solid black, and his sire is Willow Creek Seabiscuites Joker 30" bay.

Dr Lewright's horses 028.JPG

Dr Lewright's horses 027.JPG

Duke left side.JPG

Duke right side 2.JPG

Well done! So glad to see that he's moving toward a better weight. It's so unhealthy for horses (and humans!) when they're too fat. Kudos to you! Keep posting pictures as he continues his journey to better health!

Wow great job, definitely a big difference from before and after. When I bought my QH he looked like the broodmares he had been out with for the past 2 years, so my trainer put him on his version of the "Jenny Craig" diet and he looked fantastic within 3 months of hard work and dedication with him

Oh wow! What a great transformation! What did you do to help him? I have a moderately chunky mare I would like to help a little bit... Great job to you! His neck is looking beautiful!

Thats so great! I am also going through a very similar situation! I have a 5 year old gelding that is a bit round and we have been slowly trying to get him in better form as well. He is a very sweet boy, just doesnt seem to know much. We got him from some people who just let him roam around the neighborhood. They feed him way too much sweet feed as well as unlimited grass and I was told he had a habit of going through peoples garbage... He has only been with us for about 3 weeks and am already noticing a big difference in his weight. Heres a picture of him when we brought him home. I had to fence him off a little "dry lot" to limit his grass!

Odie.jpg

GREAT job! He looks like a silver grullo to me
default_smile.png

haha bet you didn't think there was a neck in there lol. Good job, he's looking a lot better!

default_yes.gif
We feel we have made good progress with him. When we got him, he and all the other horses were out to pasture 24/7 and all of them were about as big around as they were short. We have him on Miniature Horse and Pony feed 1/2 lb 2 times plus hay daily. I hope to be able to build a round pen to work him in, but that is down the road. He has made a great companion for Cowboy and that was the goal.

As far as his color. I think he is a silver dun. Could he be a grullo??

See the picture below.

Duke back stripe.JPG

Jenny Craig for minis? He looks great! Whatever the weight loss program, I need to follow it, then roundpen myself for good measure...

Jenny Craig for minis? He looks great! Whatever the weight loss program, I need to follow it, then roundpen myself for good measure...
default_new_rofl.gif
(let me know how you go Susanne, I need to shed a few kgs lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally he looks a lot more like a grullo than a silver dun to me. Love the bold dorsal stripe <3 and he is a very handsome fella coloring is very unique, thats for sure! Keep up that great change!

Lovely boy! Love that stripe!!! My 4 year old mare is definitely in need of a diet/exercise plan and we're working on it. I've pulled her off the pasture completely. In the coming week or so, I'm going to be down two horses which I hope frees up my time to begin work with her on a lounge line (no round pen here) along with a resuming of the CA training program. Thanks for sharing your story. It proves it can be done and reminds me to take pictures too!

If it werent for the line down his back, I would say silver black/silver dapple. The mane doesnt have to be purewhite on a silver dapple a lot of times as they age it gets a light tan color. I do see hes getting some dapples. My silver dapple boy lost all of his dapples for about three years, and they are finally back, Ive been doing a happy dance lol.

Your doing a great job getting his weight down! Did you use any supplements for weight loss like remission or quiessence?

He is a silver grullo-silver dun, silver grullo...same thing.

I brought him home and started him on a daily feeding program (twice daily), at first I was feeding Purina Stradegy, but after Cowboy lost weight with the Pigeon Fever, the feed store owner and my vet suggested the Purina Miniature horse and pony feed. I've been using it since.
default_thumbup.gif

Thanks for the color hints. I am sending in pictures this next week with his registration papers. I am including the photo of his dorsal strip. If AMHA decides I picked the wrong color, that's ok. As long as he is registered.

Yes what is your trick?? My mini mare had a palomino filly this April and her stomach has not gone down since the day she gave birth!! What can I do? I trained her to drive this summer and I drive we often, I trained her to lunge to help build muscle and lose weight but nothing is working! What else can I do? She is nursing and her hips are starting to show, so we are weaning the foal right now, but she still has a huge belly. She is on a dry lot with a flake of hay twice a day! What can I do to get rid of the belly?

He's looking great! I have a 4 year old gelding named Duke too!

Latest posts

Back