Before & After

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Well, a little history first. Well we went out to look at him and the man said that if we could have him on the trailer in 24 hours he was ours. So i drove over to look at him last night and he stood out in the pasture with two big appys and he was just breathtaking. I had to pinch myself. I told him he was bigger then what i like to deal with but i knew if we didnt bring him home before long he would end up somewhere he didnt need to be, he had to come home with us. Went out in the pasture, he was really dirty. Basically he said he had not haltered him or led him in 4 or 5 years :new_shocked:. I was expecting him to be half wild, but after a couple minutes he just stopped and let me snap a lead on him. He was really laid back, not like i was pictured. Basically his personality was the complete opposite of his looks.

So, this morning we went and got him, he was an angel in the trailer. Unloaded perfectly fine, first time on the trailer since he was a weanling (they got him through the taylors sale as a weanling). The man said he did have papers but never updated them and cant find them (that story
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
, he looks to be about 46'' and is just so big boned to be a shetland.

Unloaded off the trailer and let him out to run in our other pasture by himself, OHHH what a mover. I've never seen such hock action (exept the moderns of course). He is really well behaved, could use some work of course but what can you expect right? Im sure in a couple weeks he will be fine. He is very well behaved.

Here are pictures from this morning when he got home ..dirty dirty boy.

2-5.jpg

3-5.jpg

1-6.jpg

5-3.jpg

He and i (here you can see his height)

4-6.jpg

6-2.jpg

And then we played beauty shop and this is him after a bath (which he didnt mind btw), a bridle path, about an hour of grooming and bottle of cowboy magic detangler later ...we have this! I love the super long mane and forelock *drool*.

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

7-3.jpg

I want to know more about him, he is the typical 'taylor gray', i think he is to big to be by Instant Replay but he has that taylor gray im thinking he has Midget Mike breeding somewhere back. I think once he settles down we are going to geld him and get his hooves done. What do you guys think? I plan to email Tom and see if he remembers anything about him.

Oh yes, his name ..im calling him Image for now. They called him 'corncob' so that had to change lol.

I think he is beautiful, i knew there was a handsome boy under all that. I will have to keep you guys updated through his training, i just feel he needed a second chance and that is what im giving him!

BTW, i set up a vet appointment to get him checked out, better safe then sorry
default_smile.png
. I think after he is trained and we work on the ground manners and he is gelded i will let him find a forever home with a family.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice looking boy. Hope you get the papers, eventually, (just be sure his former owner knows you'd like the papers if he comes across them).

Thanks Chandab,

As of right now he is winning over my heart. Like i said, i'd like to place him in a good family home after some training but i'm falling for him
default_wub.png
:.

He will come running to the gate looking for treats and follows me to my fathers barn and back to the gate and all around the pasture. I expected it to take some time to gain his trust, i think its more him just curious and wanting food but he makes my heart flutter
default_wub.png
:.

WOOHOO i found out some info on him!!!

His name was Wally in 2000 when he sold through the sale. His dam is Michigan's Miss Liberty (gray shetland) and his sire was a welsh stud Lucy Jean Lighting.

:bgrin

WOOHOO i found out some info on him!!!

His name was Wally in 2000 when he sold through the sale. His dam is Michigan's Miss Liberty (gray shetland) and his sire was a welsh stud Lucy Jean Lighting.

:bgrin
Cool, one step closer to maybe getting some paperwork on him. How would he be registered with a Welsh sire? [As in what registery? I know nothing about pony registries]

I just love his face, such a beauty.

He doesn't really look like a Wally.
default_wink.png
:

When they emailed back they said he was sold as a grade riding pony, so im thinking the guy we got him from was confused. My guess is he sold as a grade and the guy we got him from was trying to make him sound like he was more.

Does anyone have a catalog from the 2000 taylor pony farm sale with price results? :bgrin

Oh he's beautiful! I was going to say that he looked like he was part Welsh parth Shetland before I read the rest of the posts! Very Very pretty. I don't have a catalog...sorry. But I'm wishing you lots of luck in training him. He's really gorgeous. And from the sounds of it, with a little work, I bet he'd make an amazing first time riding horse if you could break him. He looks like a sweetheart...and I think Wally for a name actually fits him perfectly
default_smile.png
But Image is also a good fit :bgrin

WOW what a find he looks like he will make AN AMAZING riding pony for someone!

Man, is he ever beautiful!!
default_wub.png
:

Congrats!

He would look right smart as a cart pony!!

I dont know about riding, but right now we just working on the ground manners lol ..maybe.

Did i mention we got him free? The man practicaly threw him in the trailer, to good to be true! I think it had a little to do with the fact all his horses were on about 3 acres of pasture and he had no hay and was running out of grass. However, we got our hay for $1.75 about 6 miles from his house.

Isnt he a beauty?
default_wub.png
:

I will have to get pictures of him on the move, he moves like a little percheron, i love it
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lisa! Riding Pony!!! Man he looks like exactly the kind of packer I love to teach on but would never breed for- Sure is pretty though! You've gotta keep us posted on him!
default_smile.png

Aww hes something..Can you say CDEs? He's awesome looking..And he sure cleaned up nice..Keep us posted on what you find out about him..

Still trying to find pictures of his sire and dam
default_smile.png

He is so darn friendly, i think he likes it here. This morning he let me wrap my arms around his neck and give him a big hug, such a huge step considering he would have freaked if we tried that yesterday. I love him
default_wub.png
:. I think im going to change his name though, Image just doesnt seem 'right' for him.

CDE's? I think it would be a while, we dont have many of those around here although i would love to watch one. You would not know he wasnt touched for 6 years
default_wub.png
:

Hello - I think he is beautiful - does look like a Welsh pony. There is a 1/2 Welsh or part Welsh registry I believe so if the sire had papers and you can track them down you might get some papers on him.

Jeanne McClanahan owns his dam now, anyone know how i can get in contact with Jeanne ..does anyone have an email or website for her? Thank you
default_smile.png

Also if anyone would know how to track down a welsh stallion for me, that would be great
default_smile.png

What a lucky duck! Leeana! :aktion033: Congrats on a great find.

Love him! What about getting him into the National Show Pony Registry?

mininik Posted Today, 04:23 PM Love him! What about getting him into the National Show Pony Registry?
Hey now there is an idea i like! I had not even thought about NSPR, would he be elgiable? The hard part really is just finding his sire, i cannot find the owner and am waiting for the welsh pony society registry to email me back. If i got him NSPR then he could tag along to congress with us ..hmm. Thank you minik !!
default_smile.png

The '05 Rule Book says, "The NSPR will be open to any pony 14.2 hh and under that can be verified by DNA that one parent is registered in either ASPC or AMHR. A stallion report is not required to be filed in order to register a NSPR animal for these are performance only, not breeding animals."

Latest posts

Back