Beet Pulp ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Ive been feeding beet pulp for a while ...i soak mine in buckets (each horse has their own beet pulp bucket i soak it in) and i scoop it out with my hand and i notice at the bottom of the buckets i soak it in, in the water left over there is allot of this sandy / grainy stuff ....do you guys get this to? Ive always passed it over and ignored it but i am wondering if this is normal ....

Leeana

beets are a root crop, so there is often sand/dirt in the mix. How much just depends on how well your company cleans the beets before processing. The last batch I ordered was pretty clean, the previous stuff was pretty dirty. [This is all I know, perhaps someone knows something more about it.]

I find it, some bags worse than others. I started soaking mine in a double boiler/colander thing, then rinse real good right before feeding. They love it even more when it is fresh rinsed with warm water. My spoiled babies!!

Thanks ladies, there has just been so much of it lately that i am starting to worry about it as it is so sandy and grainy, luckly, it seems to settle to the bottom of the bucket in the water though but im sure some still goes into what i feed them. I think i will start soaking it, and then rinsing it....that would help get rid of what was left. I sometimes fine chunks or spikes of wood in the beet pulp bags too..i now go threw it before i soak it and make sure nothing is in there, i find little spliters or spikes of wood (yes...scarry to find...) in most of the bags, i think im going to go back to feeding the beet pulp at TSC that comes in the brown bag (do not know the brand names)...the beet pulp i feed now is from our regular feed store in the light colored plastic bag, i dont remember having any of these problems with the TSC brown bags ....

As for the sand and grit in the beet pulp it really depends on the processor. Some are great and some are not so good. We have seen it when we swithed brands last year.

I would suspect that the supply might be getting tighter as new harvest is not in yet and last year there was a bit of a shortage at least in the Northeast in early fall.

Mark

We aren't having any trouble finding beet pulp, but I have noticed the sand in the bottom of the bucket we soak it in. Hopefully most of it settles in the bottom and when we scoop it out it doesn't end up in the horses buckets. We buy our beet pulp from either the farm store I work at or the mill my daugters works at. They are from two different distributors, and the one from the mill that we are using now doesn't have as much sand left in the bucket.

To clarify so I can answer more correctly are you feeding the shreds or the pellets???

Shreds ...

I rinsed it today after soaking it, seemed to have made a big difference ...amazing how much was left in there after the first soaking and what came out in the second soaking ...

Can you guys get speedi-beet over there? We get it here in Oz, but it's imported from the UK. Soaking is over and done with in around 5 - 10 minutes depending on whether you use hot or cold water. No grainy sediment left on the bottom of the bucket either.

Back at our other place I was only able to find one feed supplier who could even get the no-molasses beet pulp for me. I had to special order it, and it was terrible! Dusty, dirty, and had all kinds of sticks in it. I rinsed it always 3 or 4 times. Here at the new place I was lucky to find a coop that keeps it in stock, and the difference in quality is amazing! It's nice and clean! The suppliers listed on each bag are from complete different states, so I do agree that it just depends on the processor that makes the product unfortunately.

Sometimes I notice alot some none, I just dump the last of it on the ground
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back