Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselover161

Reaction score
Our local feed store just started carrying beet pulp without molasses. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the difference between beet pulp with or without the molasses added. Do you need to feed more to make up the reduced calories? Do the horses still like it without the sweetener? It just seems like a good idea to me.

Did not know it came different ways - less sugar would be better in my mind since all the feed I feed is sweet feed and it gets mixed together.

Don't know for sure -- just an opinion.

I had the no molasses added variety and my horses ate it just fine. If you have no problems with what you've been feeding and all your horses are healthy, its up to you whether you want to change or not. Less sugar would probably be better in the long run. [if you have horses with metabolic issues: IR, Cushings, founder; then the no molasses added would be the better choice, less rinsing to get rid of the extra sugar.]

Personally, I'd choose the no molasses added, no need to put extra sugar in them.

I am guessing mine doesnt have it says nothing about it on the tag. My horses love it

I use the pellets(soaked, of course); no molasses is mentioned on the tag. My horses, once they became accustomed to it, all eat it readily(some loved it from the start, others took a few days to appreciate it!) I tried a bag from another feed store some time back; got it home, found it said 'molasses' on the tag, returned it. Asked about it at yet another area feed store when there one day, was told it had molasses, said I didn't want it with molasses, was informed(rather brusquely, I thought...)by the woman who owns the store that "All of the pellets have it; they use it as a binder"....?? It is my understanding that by law, that would have to be on the label, if it were so??? In any case, I buy it from the original place, where the tag doesn't list molasses--and I do little if any business anymore with the one with the rude answer!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I completely agree with no added molasses-the added sugar is almost certainly not necessary, and might even be detrimental, according to current knowledge about feeds and feeding.

Margo

We feed beet pulp with no molasses and the horses eat it fine. we started using the non-molasses beet pulp when we discovered that 2 of our horses were allergic to molasses. jennifer :saludando:

beet pulp shredded

Last edited by a moderator:
We use beet pulp shredded. No molasses. Just like us, most don't need the extra sugar. We soak the beet pulp shreds, and add it to their feed. During the winter we make it soupy with hot water. It helps get more liquid into their system at a time when horses don't drink enough. I have a yearling that pouts until we add the beet pulp into his feed, just stands there not eating, waiting for the beet pulp to be added. Such a cute, spoiled little boy!

Latest posts

Back