Beet pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildrummer

Reaction score
My horse is 4 at 2 she had colic surgary. She is doing great now! She is starting to drive and is doing well! If you had beet pulp to grain, do you do dry or wet beet pulp. Does having surgary make a difference? Would like opinions and what you do, please! She is 34 inches, get a little grass, hay and grain with 1/3 cup of dry beet pulp. Now that she is driving, should the beet be increased ? If so wet or dry?

Lildrummer

We feed ours dry mixed in with their pellets. We do make "soup" in the hot months with a handleful of pulp and a lot of water. They love it!

Surgery might make a difference depending on what the surgery entailed. For example, I just posted on another thread (feed for senior stallion) about my big horse that had 30 feet (half) of his small intestines removed. That could limit nutrient adsorbtion - we were given a grim prognosis during his second surgery 10 years ago. If the surgery was for impaction or some other reason (had one of those too) then you would likely want to make sure that didn't happen again. My boy is on pasture 24/7 and I think being able to eat contantly - like nature intended - is the best thing (a slow feeder would be another option).

Thanks for the input. Would love to know what others do and thoughts?

Lildrummer

Surgery was an impaction, did not remove anything other than materials causing impact.

Lildrummer

We soak here. We also feed depending on the horse. Right now our horses are getting 2-3 cups of soaked BP and 2-3 cups of grain x2 a day. They usually get much more gain but I had been away for a few weeks at school and moving home that they were standing idle. Now that I have been home for a week and their driving training is going to continue, I will slowly increase what they get. In the summer, I'm always trying to get the horses just where I want them. The two I'm feeding are a 34" 6 year old mare and a 34.5" 12 year old gelding. My babies, seniors and my broodmare will likely get more too, it all depends on their calorie needs.

Good question, I would also like to know? What does Beet Pulp do?

Lildrumemr

I've been feeding some beetpulp shreds dry to a couple; but when I feed beet pulp pellets I always soak them (too much risk of choke iwht the dry pellets).

Back