Beet Pulp Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
I am trying to put a little weight on one of my mini's that looks a bit thin to me. I bought some shredded beet pulp with molasses. Does this have to be soaked, or can it just be added to the grain? And, how much do you add? I was only going to add about 1/2 of a cup to the grain ration.

Also, how much Probios do you give them when they have runny poop? It isn't quite diarrea yet, but I wanted to give him a bit before it gets bad. I have the tubes of Probios and it only has instructions for a big horse. He probably only weighs about 250 or maybe at a stretch 300 lbs. And, how often do you give it to them?

Thanks again for your help!

I use beet pulp but it is not shreds. I have a filly who was sick and lost a lot of weight. She is getting 1 cup dry beet pulp soaked which comes to about 3 cups wet, 2 cups Omolene 200 and 1/8 cup Boss twice a day. She was extremely skinny but now she looks much better.
default_smile.png

No, you dont have to soak them, but most people do. Some people think that the BP will soak up all the acid in the stomach, but it isnt in the stomach long enough too. I would especially soak it in the winter for added water into their system. Start out with about 1/2 a cup, and go up from there. Mabe like a cup at each feeding? You will need to increase/decrease depending on weight.

Sorry, I dont know on the probios!

I prefer the beet pulp without the mollasses. It can be fed dry and just put it in the grain, but some people don't like to do that. I would not feed the pellets dry, but the shreds aren't a big deal to feed dry. You can add as much or as little water as you want, we do a 1:1 ratio water to beet pulp.

As far as the probios go, it won't do you much good to give your horse probios while she still has runny poop, because she will poop it out before it does any good. Find out why she has runny poop, fix it, and then give the probios, that is when it will do her the most good.

Latest posts

Back