Been thinking, threads asking for opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JUST REMEMBER THIS, ALL THOSE HORSES THAT WIN NATIONAL CHAMPION, GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPION, BEST IN SHOW ETC. SHOULD THANK US FOR SHOWING OUR HORSES WITH FAULTS. WITHOUT US, THEY WOULDN'T WIN THOSE BIG AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!

bob r said:
JUST REMEMBER THIS,  ALL THOSE HORSES THAT WIN NATIONAL CHAMPION, GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPION, BEST IN SHOW ETC. SHOULD THANK US FOR SHOWING OUR HORSES WITH FAULTS.  WITHOUT US, THEY WOULDN'T WIN THOSE BIG AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!
420495[/snapback]

biggrin.gif
Meaning.....the judge selects the LEAST faults to win!!
biggrin.gif

And that truly is the name of the game. I personally like to see several photos and preferably a video....when buying long distance. So, when a critique question comes up, the pictures can be poor ones of a National Champion and we could find faults!

I fully agree with the sentiments of "kinder, gentler". In fact, I have a couple here that are
rolleyes.gif
really, really loved (as in, hide behind the barn!
laugh.gif
)

as do most on the forum. Then again, I've seen some who really wanted to go into halter and the horse wasn't that caliber but, obstacle would work!
wub.gif
On occassion I've sent a PM -- with suggestions, usually.

I rarely post but this time have to add my 2 cents worth. I never show any pics of my minis on tne forum except new borns and one brood mare that most would remember but Carolyn this was a wonderful post and truthfully the doubt about our horses has kept us from showing thus far and Im not talking about Nationals heck we dont even have a registry show within 12 hours. I have a granddaughter who would love to try showing but my husband after reading the critiques on the forum said well what would she show? They wouldnt like our horses. I keep asking him who they are. We have been to one mini show to watch and the winner was the smallest horse regardless of conformation so that was no help at all. We study everyday trying to learn but there have been posts here that I would have been crushed by had the horse been one of ours. I think it important that while all are trying to learn not all are showing in registry sanctioned shows because they do not exist in certain areas. Sometimes someone is simply asking could I show this horse at my local fair. My comment to that is go for it and try it and you'll never know if you never try. Great post Carolyn.

Frankie said:
, but starting at one end of the horse and going to the other with nothing but critisism, is NOT helpful, only hurtful. And again, yes they do ask, but when it gets to the hurtful stage, they no longer hear you.

We should be offering constructive advice, not painful to listen to advice, and yes, there is a difference. MANY care so much for their horses they feel the attack personally.

Sorry, but I'd hate to lose an forum member or a fellow show person, or just a friend, and yes it is happening,,,,,, over something that can be avoided if we would speak with a kinder heart.

420255[/snapback]

Thank you for saying that so well!! I totally agree with you!

That is the key Lisa...to "have the people that I ask and respect and am willing to listen to-" be the ones to ask to critique if a critique is needed. Also, as you say, your ideas of conformation can be TOTALLY different from the "conformation experts:. but who is interpreting the standard correctly the expert or yourself?

I have seen where there are experts but I have also seen where there are those who think they are experts.

I too would want any one with a good eye for a horse to give me an honest opinion but it is how that opinion is given that is the issue here. What I try to remember is to not take what just anyone says as fact because there are so many types of minis, what one may like another may not. The study of the standard is what needs to be encouraged and used in judging. JMHO Mary

n it.

Now i dont go around telling people about there horses but if asked yes even in person i will give "my" opinion for them to take or leave. I know i have gotten some opinions from conformation experts and not only were they nto something i agreed with but when i have seen there horses i realized that our ideas of conformation are TOTALLY Different.

again i have the people that I ask and respect and am willing to listen to- the last thing I need personally is someone who will yes me to death

420474[/snapback]

I have to agree with the original post and agree you did a nice job of saying it.

Sometimes the responses can be brutal, of course with only good intentions. And even I, with nothing but a pet quality mini am very sensitive. He is like one of my kids and I would protect him with everything I have.

He is by far the laziest mini imaginable. But that is another topic.

I have to commend all the young people going out into the show ring, even if their horse is not the best, They are trying and Look at what they are learning. Pose, self confidence.

" I have a granddaughter who would love to try showing but my husband after reading the critiques on the forum said well what would she show? They wouldnt like our horses"

IMO let her show anyway, You never know when you may have that grand champion in your next set of foals. And at least she will know how to do it.

Buckskin Gal that is where the CHOICE comes in to ask privatly someone who you respect in both there program and as well as a person or to go public... I mean when you go public you have to know you will be getting opinions from all types those that really know NOTHING about conformation but believe they are experts, those that have been doing this succsefully for years and many many in between.

I know when i get crituques i go check out that persons website ( I Have said this about a hundred times- and for me the proof is in the pudding so to speak) and see do they have the type of horses i strive for, do they have a great reputation both as people and in the industry, are they willing to see what flaws there own horses have those are the people i choose to look up to and ask opinions of and yes you are right those people will vary for everyone. Some things I will agree on others I dont see at all

the bottom line is you have to know when asking for crituques you will get some things you want to hear somethings you really dont some from people who may know what is breed standard others who might not but every horse has flaws yes even the National Champions have flaws and there is a job for every horse.

For the person who said you dont know if your grandkids should show i say GO FOR IT. Ravens gelding isnt the top halter horse but he takes care of her , has taught her tons about good sportsmanship, responsibilty and has managed to get her some ribbons to. The thing for me about ANY show is there is always more to going to a show then the ribbons- it is about what you can learn the people you meet and the fun you can have the ribbons are always icing on the cake for me

This is the wonderful thing about this forum...everyone does not have to be in agreement about everything!
wink.gif
And isn't it great that we don't all have to like the same "pudding" because if we did only one type of miniature horse would be selling and only one type of miniature horse would be winning. I do believe that type is a personal choice but conformation and evaluating it can not be done fairly by a picture, be it from a website or here on the forum. I have traveled too many miles to go see horses, that I was impressd with by a picture, to be totally disappointed upon seeing it in the flesh.
no.gif
On the other hand I have seen pictures of horses that looked off and then seen them in the flesh and they weren't!
yes.gif
There truly is so much to learn about conformation and then deciding the type before getting into breeding but I have also seen the one that is winning isn't always the one that is producing. Education, education, education is what needs to be had before even attempting to breed halter quality horses but many times it is getting the horses and then getting an education! And for others, just to have minis to enjoy is enough! They don't care about breeding or even getting into heavy competition but will ask "what do you think of my horse" I happen to believe that kinder gentler critiques are more helful to the majority, when asked for.
yes.gif
Mary

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
Buckskin Gal that is where the CHOICE comes in to ask privatly someone who you respect in both there program and as well as a person or to go public... I mean when you go public you have to know you will be getting opinions from all types those that really know NOTHING about conformation but believe they are experts, those that have been doing this succsefully for years and many many in between.I know when i get crituques i go check out that persons website ( I Have said this about a hundred times- and for me the proof is in the pudding so to speak) and see do they have the type of horses i strive for, do they have a great reputation both as people and in the industry, are they willing to see what flaws there own horses have those are the people i choose to look up to and ask opinions of and yes you are right those  people will vary for everyone. Some things I will agree on others I dont see at all

the bottom line is you have to know when asking for crituques you will get some things you want to hear somethings you really dont some from people who may know what is breed standard others who might not but every horse has flaws yes even the National Champions have flaws and there is a job for every horse.

For the person who said you dont know if your grandkids should show i say GO FOR IT. Ravens gelding isnt the top halter horse but he takes care of her , has taught her tons about good sportsmanship, responsibilty and has managed to get her some ribbons to. The thing for me about ANY show is there is always more to going to a show then the ribbons- it is about what you can learn the people you meet and the fun you can have the ribbons are always icing on the cake for me

420530[/snapback]

Perhaps we should have an option when critiquing, to have like a 1 to 4 type of critique done. (or something like that) number one, being the mildest form of critique, with lots of helpful advice, and 4 being the more scrutinizing for show potential. This way people will somewhat know in advance, the type of critique the owner is looking for, and no ones feeling will be hurt. Just an idea.. Also if you are not sure what to expect, a "private critique" by someone you trust, and admire, on the forum, is allways a good notion. I did this just recently on this forum and was pleasently supprised by her observations. Just a thought
yes.gif

I think Margaret is right on perhaps if someone wanting a critique could also express the kind of showing if any they plan to do would also be helpful and if it is a child who is looking to show on the local level some encouragement could be added.

Definitely it does help if the person wanting a critique specifies what level they want to show the horse at--makes a difference if it's a local fair or 4-H show, a local AMHA/R show, or Nationals/Worlds. Critiques--often they do get done on the basis of whether or not the horse is a top show competitor. Often that's because the poster asks can this horse make it in top competition, other times it's assumed that's what is wanted.

If you post a horse for critique, you do have to be thick skinned about some responses--often the most rude ones are by those that know the least, and you just have to kind of overlook those. Sometimes the photos posted are just not flattering--the knowledgeable will point out they cannot critique from those photos. Others less knowledgeable will just go ahead & blast away, totally unaware of how wrong they are. Bad photography can totally ruin a good horse, just as good photography (and/or good showmanship) can flatter a poor horse.

It always slays me how someone will totally trash someone else's horse on a critique, but then when they post their own horse they are infuriated when someone says something negative.
rolleyes.gif
Or they ask for help, and then have an excuse to veto every suggestion made. They really don't want to learn or be offered advice at all, they just wanted compliments.

Now I am here to testify that I got a horse here with one heck of a talent that has fabulous aim and that she will poop in her bucket every single day one complete load and if you just point me to where that contest is being held, I'll enter her and by golly we'll win that one hands down.
Hey -- I've got one that can splash all the water out of her trough in 2 minutes! OK now that 's two classes for the world's "best"!!

Carolyn - awesome thread.

JUST REMEMBER THIS, ALL THOSE HORSES THAT WIN NATIONAL CHAMPION, GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPION, BEST IN SHOW ETC. SHOULD THANK US FOR SHOWING OUR HORSES WITH FAULTS. WITHOUT US, THEY WOULDN'T WIN THOSE BIG AWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!
That gave me a good laugh!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Dee

Latest posts

Back