Bee Sting Right Above Eye!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

Reaction score
Kassie got stung right above her eye and it is swollen halfway shut, I cleaned it up, her eye was a bit runny. Is there anything I can do to help the swelling? We have a 4H show tomorrow, will it go down at all by then?

Thanks tons!

Rebecca

My mom just emailed me about a weird bee sting cure its worth a try.............

Here's a copy of her email to me

This information may be something to remember, as this season will soon =be =20here again... It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket while working =20in the yard......... BEE STINGS ! A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee and hornet while workin=g in =20the garden. My arm swelled up, so I went to the doctor. The clinic gave me cream and= an =20antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse,= so =20I went to my regular doctor. The arm was Infected and needed an =20antibiotic.The doctor told me - ' The next time you get stung, put a penn=y =20on =20the bite for 15 minutes'. That night, my niece was stung by two bees. I looked at the bite and it =had =20alreadystarted to swell. So, I taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. =The =20next morning, there was no sign of a bite. We decided that she just was=n't =20allergic to the sting. Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, =20twice by a hornet on my left hand. I thought, here I go again to the =20doctor for another antibiotic. =20 I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites, then satand sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string out of the bite =20immediately. In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and my friend was stung on t=he =20thumb. =20 =20Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where the ho=rnet =20had stung me. No redness, no swelling. My friend's sting was the same; =20couldn't even tell where she had been stung. =20 She got stung again a few days later upon her back---cutting the grass! =20 =20And the penny worked once again. Wanted to share this marvelous information in case you experience the =20 =20same problem. We need to keep a stock of pennies on hand . The doctor said that the copper in the penny counteracts the bite. It =20definitely works! Please remember and pass this information on to your friends, children, =20grandchildren, etc.

I know this sounds really gross, but a wad of "chewed" chewing tobacco put on the sting site helps alot!

jennifer
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always told (and it does seem to work) to use a freshly cut onion or a paste of meat tenderizer. Either one seems to take the 'sting' away very quickly. However since in this case it is above an eye I would hesitate to risk getting either onion juice or meat tenderizer in the eye itself and I'm not sure if it would decrease the swelling at this point.

Baby benydril will help,,, ask your vet how much. And an ice pack too!

Ours gets stung every year!!!!! Good luck!

I think it does, seems like it was a wasp/hornet (think those are the same thing) that stings someone in the email my mom sent me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow- the penny method sounds amazing! I will have to give it a try sometime!

Peggy

Check the penny thing out on snopes.com - I read it awhile back and I think they filed it under "urban legend". Meat tenderizer should work - and here's another. I haven't tried this for bee or wasp sting, but vinegar works for jellyfish and scorpion stings, I can tell you from experience! Just splash it on as quickly as possible and it cools the sting pretty much instantly.

Jan

Vinegar, I like that one (again not around eyes) since I will have vinegar (never have the meat tenderizer in my cupboard ;) hamburger needs no tenderizing lol) and I'd rather smell like a pickle than an onion.

It may go down by tomorrow. Jelly Bean got stung or bit by something last week and it went down by the afternoon. Scared me to death! She stopped eating!! her nose swelled up, then her legs swelled also! I held an ice pack on her nose and sponged her legs with ice water. All while waiting for any one of the three vets I called to get back to me. When my favorite one finally called she was all better. He did say that I could give her 1 dose of Adult Benedryl if it ever happened again.

A single tablet of plain benedryl ground up and given to her......

Make a paste with baking soda and apply. Leave it on until it dries and then carefully remove. You don't want the powder getting into her eye. It will help draw out the venom. And then, cold compresses, of course.

Good luck.

The vinegar could be applied with a cotton ball or pad and held in place by you for a short period of time.

Hubby is DEATHLY allergic to bee/wasp/hornet stings so I have meat tenderizer everywhere!! House, shop, each vehicle, trailers, barn, etc! Plus I keep a pack of Benydrl with each bottle of meat tenderizer and he takes the Benydrl while I'm running to the nearest hydrant/faucet for water to make a paste of the tenderizer. Since it's around the eye I would skip the meat tenderizer (and it really only seems to work on a FRESH sting anyway) and just use ice packs and the Benydrl. Good Luck at the show!!!
default_smile.png

I've used the baking soda paste on humans! Works great! Pulls out the venom (as stated above) and no pain or swelling!

Viki

Oh my gosh thanks for so many replies! I'm saving this post for future reference!

I didn't use any of the pastes/liquid concoctions because it is really RIGHT on her eyelid, so I didn't want to risk getting anything in there. When I first saw it her eye was closed almost all the way, I iced it for 10 minutes and this afternoon, although I felt silly doing it I'll admit, I did the penny thing with 3 pennies, and I must say the swelling has decreased considerably, whether from the pennies or the ice or both I'm not sure, what matters is that she can open her eye.
default_wink.png

This forum has taught me so much, you guys are great.
default_wub.png

Rebecca

Hemorrhoid cream works wonders. I was stung between the eyes once, used it and not a mark to be found within a couple of hours.

Hemorrhoid cream works wonders. I was stung between the eyes once, used it and not a mark to be found within a couple of hours.
Wish I'd known this a few years ago - I was stung by the corner of my eye by a yellow jacket, and the entire left side of my face swelled, even with benedryl & cold compresses. Scary enough that I went to the ER the next day when it continued to swell... It was several days before the swelling went down much.

Jan

I heard the same thing about the tobacco. I also heard you can break open a cigarette and wet the tobacco before placing it over the sting.

The pennies sound interesting. I'll be making sure I always have some in my pocket
default_smile.png

My parents used the baking soda paste on us as kids and I know that works.

Latest posts

Back