bee scare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASKedmini

Reaction score
Tonight while i ws working with mask for ourshow on monday we somehow ended up stepping on a ground wasp nest. I didnt even notice the bees on me but i knew they were on mask because he was having a fit. finally he yanked out of my hand and took off, he cleard our neighbors barb wire fence and kept on going. so my fiance and i are despetly looking for my horse wheni suddenly realize i my shirt is covered with bees. i panicked and luckly my fiance new enough to get my top layer off. so after that we look for mask and he had gone down to the end of the raod to the pasture. hes ok im ok but we are both stung up. should i put anything on his stings? i called the vet but he was out on farm calls.

melissa

I would watch him CAREFULLY for a couple of hours. I don't want to scare you but if he has a reaction to the stings it could be fatal.

Watch for any reaction from both you and the horse. If there is any reaction to this time the next bite will be more pronounced. If ther is any more than minimal swelling at the sting site it should be a matter of concern.

According to Jacques Cousteau....... running hot water over bee or wasp stings for about 15 minutes is the very best thing for neutralizing the venom and making the sting heal faster. I have heard people swear by this. I myself am a bee keeper and have a hive right in my backyard. I use hot water and it has always worked for me.

Things I have also heard work: meat tenderizer, and baking soda. I've tried baking soda but since I applied it with hot water, not sure which one worked but it was effective.

If you don't have any epinephrine (sp) giving plain benedryl will help any potential allergic reaction.

For relieving the sting, I would try the above suggestions..........

Let us know he's doing.

MA

Miniv said:
Let us know he's doing. 

MA

447590[/snapback]

ive been watching him andhes doing ok i gave himlots of love and his grain and hay and an apple before i put him to bed. for as many bees that were on us just my legs got stung because i walked round trying to help mask before i knew they were on me. i had never been stung by a bee until tonight so i was scared too, but we both seem to be doing ok. my mom had wondered about giving benadryl because we give it to our dogs if they have reactions to thier puppy shots. thanks for your help i was relly worried. now back to eting ready for the show. do you think i should still go or would it hurt mask?

MASKedmini said:
Miniv said:
Let us know he's doing. 

MA

447590[/snapback]

ive been watching him andhes doing ok i gave himlots of love and his grain and hay and an apple before i put him to bed. for as many bees that were on us just my legs got stung because i walked round trying to help mask before i knew they were on me. i had never been stung by a bee until tonight so i was scared too, but we both seem to be doing ok. my mom had wondered about giving benadryl because we give it to our dogs if they have reactions to thier puppy shots. thanks for your help i was relly worried. now back to eting ready for the show. do you think i should still go or would it hurt mask?

447621[/snapback]

Your show is on the 14th right? If he is okay tomorrow, and not sore, it should be okay. Give him lotsa love
wub.gif

There are lots of home remedies on the internet now for insect stings. My daughter was stung by a wasp recently and I researched it trying to help her (in another town). Didn't save the list, but everything from aloe to aspirin was recommended. One suggestion was to make a paste of a regular aspirin (not coated) and apply to the sting. Same thing for meat tenderizer. Someone where she works put garlic on it but she says that didn't help LOL.

Jan

Yes! I'd forgotten about the asprin!.. You're supposed to take a plain asprin, mash it and add a little water to make a paste and apply it to the sting. It's a home remedy for humans, but I'm sure it would help any animal that's been stung.

MA

If they were in the ground, they were probably yellowjackets and those things are nasty. My mother would always take a cigarette and tear out the tobacco, wet it and put it on the sting, don't know what it did, but it did make it feel better. Honey bees are not aggressive normally and will usually just fly away (i've got hives), however bees find horse's smell offensive and do not like them.

My dog got stung by a few yellowjackets a couple years back and got terribly sick, swelled up, threw up, could hardly stand...called the vet and he told us to give him benadryl. Now we carry a bee sting kit for the dog.

As odd as it may sound, hemorrhoid medication helps with bee stings. Hunters carry it with them, just in case. I've used it on a sting right between my eyes and was amazed at how well it worked. No swelling, no soreness, nothing. Definitely recommend it.

I was also going to suggest hemorrhoid cream/ointment. We keep Nupercainol (the hemorrhoid variety, not the actual first aid variety) on hand just to use on minor cuts, scrapes, burns & such. It really takes away the pain.

A note about the Hemorrhoid cream: Preparation H also works wonders on lacerations. Makes the hair grow back super quick and prevents scarring - it's actually the Shark Oil it contains, that helps so much.

I'll vouch for the yellowjacket stings being nasty
crybaby.gif
I got stung by my eye a couple of years ago and ended up a day and a half later in the ER because my eye was swollen shut and half my face was swollen up. This was after taking benedryl and advil from the time it happened.

Jan

Latest posts

Back