Bedding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerMaeve

Reaction score
Mom wanted me to ask what kind of bedding for in the stalls everyone uses.....I was thinking we'd use wood/pine shavings, unless there is something better I'm not aware off.......

Educate me!

I use the wood pellet bedding. Add water and it turns into 'sawdust' but courser. It's amazing to muck, super fast and easy without throwing any clean away but it can get dusty depending on the weather and has to be watered down. You could always try a bag of shavings, quick pick shavings and pellets and see which you like best.

I have been using straw but it's a bit more cumbersome to clean well. I will continue with straw until after foaling is done. I haven't heard of foals eating shavings, but some other animals do. shavings can also be slippery if there is concrete underneath while young un's are learning to stand (most species, including chickens need more stability). Then I hope to go to shavings!

Yeah, the barn I worked at pre-COVID used shavings.......I like how easy it is to clean. We have straw in our chicken coop and I don't like it as much.

For our chicken coop I've always used grass hay. We also use grass hay in the foaling stall until the weanling is a few days old. Shavings can stick to the navel and on their face at first.

In the regular horse stalls we also spread some PDZ or Stall Dry on the wet spots before putting down the pine shavings. (We prefer PDZ but it's harder to find for some reason, so end up using Stall Dry.)

For our chicken coop I've always used grass hay. We also use grass hay in the foaling stall until the weanling is a few days old. Shavings can stick to the navel and on their face at first.

In the regular horse stalls we also spread some PDZ or Stall Dry on the wet spots before putting down the pine shavings. (We prefer PDZ but it's harder to find for some reason, so end up using Stall Dry.)
Thanks for that! I have wondered what would work AND be safe!

Mom wanted me to ask what kind of bedding for in the stalls everyone uses.....I was thinking we'd use wood/pine shavings, unless there is something better I'm not aware off.......

Educate me!
I use sawdust mostly . Easier to pick. I put a bag of pine shavings in with 4 wheelbarrows of sawdust to soak up the wet better.

We use pelleted bedding. It breaks down from the pellets into a sawdust. Picking the wet spots are easy. The sawdust will turn red and clump. That needs to be removed. Add whatever you take out. A 50# bag will keep my riding horse and pony for well over a week.

Latest posts

Back