Bears & horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tanya, ticks will get into the skin of ANY dog...long haired or short haired makes no difference. There are things you can appy to help to prevent them, but nothing I have found works 100%...you still need to pick them off.

Mona said:
Also, while on the subject of bears around here...I took these photos of some "dump" bears a few weeks ago in Sioux Narrows(about 45 minutes out of Kenora).  My husband estimated them to weigh between 600-700 pounds, which is HUGE for a black bear!  No way would the bears in the wild depending soley on berries and vegetation look like this!  LOL.
Anyway, my Mom also told me that just recently, the MNR shot a bear with a tranquillizer gun at Barsky's dum in Kenora, and they weighed it up while it was out, and it weighed in at 743 pounds or something like that!!  It was HUGE!

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

470010[/snapback]

OMG>.........Mona, those bears are so OBESE, they look like HOGS!
new_shocked.gif
The only "plus" to bears like that...is that they are SO heavy, they probably couldn't run very fast!
laugh.gif
(we can only hope!!!!!)
rolleyes.gif

Mona said:
Tanya, ticks will get into the skin of ANY dog...long haired or short haired makes no difference.  There are things you can appy to help to prevent them, but nothing I have found works 100%...you still need to pick them off.
470489[/snapback]

Yeah, I know, LOL, but they are "easier" to "find" on those short breeds, and hopefully that will greatly help in getting them off the poor babies quicker, rather than a prolonged "hunt" through a thick long coat. LOL.
yes.gif

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of "maintenance" for the dog, in effort to keep 'em "comfy" the longest, between treatments for "buggie hitchikers".
biggrin.gif

Plus, although their "job" will be a guard and guardian of farm and family....we will most likely be living WITH the bigg'un in our home, and when they come in through the door, we can spot those "beggers" (hopefully) right off the bat, and flick'em off before they come in the house to uninvited dinner guests/pests.
wacko.gif

It'll just be very hard for me to have a dog in our family, and make it have to be an "outsider" so to speak. I don't know...maybe that's why I'm thinking a Weimereiner...."short tail....in the house"...
biggrin.gif
You know??? But, still a kind of "big dog"...well, at least bigger than the two house dogs we have already, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minimor said:
Tanya, the Anatolian Shepherds are short haired--at least shorter haired than a Pyr or Maremmas--so they might do better in the heat?
OH YES....that was the other breed on our list to consider.
yes.gif

Thank you so much for reminding me of them.
wub.gif

SWA said:
It'll just be very hard for me to have a dog in our family, and make it have to be an "outsider" so to speak.  I don't know...maybe that's why I'm thinking a Weimereiner...."short tail....in the house"... 
biggrin.gif
  You know???  But, still a kind of "big dog"...well, at least bigger than the two house dogs we have already, LOL.
470493[/snapback]

Thank you for the "email"...
saludando.gif
Yes....his/her "job" will require him/her to be "outside" in order to serve the purpose....but we hope not to have to require him/her to "work full time".
rolleyes.gif
Playtime and "family life" will be a priority just as much.
wub.gif
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back