Beach Drive 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes,,, we want to hear!!! You had beautiful weather. How did it go????

Crabby-Chicken said:
Yes,,, we want to hear!!! You had beautiful weather. How did it go????
No, we didn't! :arg! Saturday at the beach was gray and foggy and ugly all day, to our great disgust. It must have been the only place in the state that was nasty from what I hear.
default_no.gif
What a bummer to have wasted some of the last good weather we're likely to have.

Leia

It was ugly on Saturday for sure.

Was beautiful on the drive down there but didn't take long for the fog to roll in, that close to the ocean.

Michael, our son Michael T, his girlfriend Rena and I stopped by the Beach Drive first,

to say hi.......then ran up the road to the car show, thinking once we got that part out of the

way we'd be able to come back and spend the rest of the time visiting.

And then the FOG rolled in and the breeze came up.

I've had a cough for months and the fog did nothing to improve that so we baled out and headed

home, where the weather was just lovely all day.

I'm glad to have had the short visit we did.....but it sure wasn't what I had in mind.

There's a long hibernation ahead of us till the show season starts in the spring.

Did the weather improve on Sunday?

In spite of the kind of poopy weather, it was a wonderful time getting to meet and hang out with so many nice people who love minis! I hesitate to list all the new friends I made for fear of leaving someone out, but suffice it to say that I sure hope next year's event is a repeat of this crowd and even more!! In addition to the time spent with the horses, we also enjoyed just yakking and sitting around the fire and even listening to some beautiful music made by Keith (Mingus's dad). The Peninsula Saddle Club is a great spot for people and horses alike, and while the camping is primitive (no electricity) there is an actual bathroom with flush toilets nearby!! And of course there is plenty of room for trailer parking and getting the minis out to play on the track and in the open green spaces.

I did take a few pictures, but my camera is in the car that the hubby took to work today, so it'll be tonight at the earliest that I can get them posted.

This is a wonderful event and one I hope to repeat next year, this time WITH my little pony so I can fly down the beach too!!

Jayne

Leia and Nancy...what kind of northwesters are you?

I LOVE the fog; although the sun wasn't out, it certainly was NOT an ugly day (although I understand that it wouldn't be great with your cough, Nancy!) Just think -- it could have rained instead of the faint mist.

Saturday was that archetypal northwest beach day...chilly at first, but after a bit I took my jacket off and was just fine.

Sunday was glorious...warm and sunny with almost no wind, but as a lifelong Oregonian who rusts instead of tanning, it was a bit odd for us.

But the whole weekend was a blast...more later after I wake up...

susanne said:
Leia and Nancy...what kind of northwesters are you?
One who went to the beach to get good PICTURES- something nearly impossible in thick blowing fog!
default_frusty.gif
Okay, you're right, it could have been much worse. And honestly I think the only part that's bugging me is that it was sunny everywhere ELSE. But it was so frustrating that the day Kody was awesome the weather and timing didn't work out for photos then the day I've got a photographer and perfect weather Kody's all sore from being kicked by Mr. Mingus (oh sorry, did I say that?!
default_xkngt.gif
) and didn't want to do more than walk down the beach. Slowly. By himself.
default_no.gif
The camping/company part of the weekend was incredibly awesome, I think I'm just bummed I didn't get to enjoy it more because Kody wasn't having any fun on Sunday.
default_no.gif
I pick up his moods so easily.
default_wacko.png

OKAY! Moving on! Remembering the pretty sunshine on Sunday and Kody's enjoyment of Saturday and racing mustangs on the beach and putting a better spin on things so I can stop being such an unwarranted sourpuss!

*pastes smile on her face and shuts up*

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Hubby came down with a right nasty cold.. horrible cough and all honesty, do not think he was up to driving that far and not think you all wanted to end up sick so we stayed home. Missed yet another year.
default_sad.png

Glad to hear it wasn't to bad a get together even with the silly weather! (Leia, it was cloudy and drizzly here too first half of the day, Sat.)

jayne, I can't wait to see your photos!

Shari, we missed you! It not only "wasn't too bad of a bad together," it was FANTASTIC.

When I finally come out of my mental fog today, I'll write about our adventure (and it certainly was...).

Am going to have to do something about this annoying lack of transportation before next year! Not only did I miss this.. but the yearly winery ride...again. I don't drink but it is nice to meet up with friends.

Can't wait to hear your write up Susanne.... and see all the photos people took!

susanne said:
Yes, Mingus was a very bad boy when Kody stuck his nose up his butt.
default_new_shocked.gif
Hey now, Mingus was sidled up to the truck with his harness on and Kody and I were standing next to the other truck so there's no way Kody had his nose stuck in inappropriate places!
default_hypocrite.gif
He might have been reaching out to say hello (neither of us, as I recall, was actually looking so who knows?) but I do know Mingus had to swing completely away from the truck and into Kody's space to let him have it with both barrels.
default_nono.gif
And besides *looks mulish* Mingus is twice his size so no matter what, It Wasn't Fair! Waaah!

*snort* Okay, over it now.
default_wink.png
You'll notice I gave your boy goodies all weekend anyway.
default_biggrin.png
I tell you, Mingus is just jealous that Kody was better dressed than he was. Where's that icon for a tongue sticking out?

Leia

The thing about being a purebred Pacific Northwesterner is that you never loose nor

give up your griping rights about the weather.

After a year of living nearer the ocean, I've yet to get used to the weather

being gorgeous just up the road and being socked into fog here.....or the days

we're bathing in sunshine and it's icky other places.

One of the most wonderful rights about living here is being able to be a non discriminatory

griper whether it's been to hot and sunny for to many days or whether it's been to rainy and

gray for to many days.

After a stretch of hot weather we all turn our little faces up and greet the rain like a long lost

friend..........just not on the week end of the Annual Beach Drive. If I hadn't had this cough

I'd have stuck it out cause, hard as it is to believe
default_rolleyes.gif
, I've not once have I ever melted away in the rain or fog.

Glad you all had a nice Sunday, anyway......thinking 2009, already!

OK, surely someone has better pictures than these, but this is what I came up with on my camera. I did not go on the beach, so these are of prepping in the parking area. This first one is of Darrel (Big Dogs and Little Horses) harnessing Dancer. Notice he is using a hyperbike. Those things are awesome!

333763529.jpg

If you look in the background, you can see Keith and Susanne harnessing Mingus. Here's one of her working on his bridle I think:

333763519.jpg

This last picture shows Liz (Nootka) harnessing Mouse with Cherry Bomb standing in the back waiting the next step. Behind Liz is Moni (the wife Bob of Graham Carriage fame). I'm sorry to say I didn't catch the name of the nice gentleman holding Cherry Bomb.

333763537.jpg

Now I saw Leia and Moni and other people out there with cameras. Let's see some actual beach pictures!!

Jayne

Okay, the pictures of people harnessing up are great. But where are the pictures of people actually driving their horses on the beach? Everyone setting around the campfire enjoying the good food and better conversation. Where is the group shot of all just having a great time. The long stories of what happened during the weekend?

Chanting now! Pictures Pictures Pictures!

Uggghhh! Nice pic of me! Hhaha.

The man holding Cherry Bomb is Zack. He is visiting from Alaska and has been a friend since we were both very young. I think I met Zack when he was 12 and I was 18? He came over to see the Rod Run with us and hang with us for the day and was very game to help out when we needed extra hands. I just felt bad that Valerie's mom didn't get to drive Cherry. I didn't know they'd gone to Kari's house while the rest of us went to the approach. By the time she showed up, everyone was ready to leave.

There aren't bound to be many pictures of us driving on the beach that day as the weather was so nasty. Maybe some from Sunday?

Martin went over Sunday while I worked the Fish Expo and he made everyone fresh Alaskan Halibut (he flew a bunch of it home from his trip) at the camp! I heard it was good?
default_smile.png

Liz

The halibut was AWESOME Liz!! But you're ruining our writeups.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
I did get a couple pictures from the beach on Saturday which will show just how gray it was but since I was one of the ones who drove the horse there from Kari's house (my rig is too big to turn around on the beach approach) I missed most of the fun.
default_crybaby.gif
My shots that day consist mostly of the back of Kody's head.
default_unsure.png

I DID, however, get a bunch of camp shots/group shots/people shots as usual.
default_biggrin.png
Just not a lot from the beach! I really missed our sunset drives...this "low tide at noon" stuff stunk.
default_sad.png
Oh well.

Leia

Was the fish GOOD?/!

It was the best that I've EVER had and it took an enormous amount of will power to not eat EVERY piece that came out of the pan! And this from a VERY picky fish-eater. "But wait there's more".... A mushroom (don't recal the kind) that we had all been driving by, ( I DID make a note of it before the fact) coming and going, from the camp-site, was severly molested, battered and thrown in the pot as well. So after a pretty balanced meal, Martin pulls out both a rocky road(ish) tub of ice cream and chocolate cones to put it in and starts making cones for everyone. All to the accompaniment of Kieth's GREAT guiar playing.

Kinda makes you wonder why you don't come to this event don't it.................

We didn't have enough time with Liz as she had a prior commitment on Sunday. Martin and Liz both are quality people that you always want to spend more time with. I know my kids sure appreciated the company of the McMaster boys as well.

I hear that I sent a scare into Daryl. He asked me to hang on to Dancer while "he saw a man about a horse" and when he came back, Dancer and cart and myself were gone. Ya see Dancer was a mite antsy that day and I figured getting into the rig while I waited for Daryl to come back would be easier for me. Well Dancer wanted to travel so I thought "well I'll just do a little movement to satisfy her" and before I knew it we were at least a half mile or more down the beach. I figured that I had better get back before he worried and it was like pulling impacted wisdom molars to get her to go back north. Sorry Daryl, didn't mean to go that far. She seemed real happy to travel south with Leia and Susanne but not so much north....

While I didn't get everything done that I had been hoping for (it was a bit ambitous), I am hopeful that I will have some pics and at least a short video segment that will be usable for our web-site. While much talk was given to "next year", I and a number of others are hoping that more than one event will be done (even this year.....) per year. Susanne says she has a good location and there are like a ba'zillion other locations that can be considered including rails to trails type drives.

To the shop,

Bb

Well, I have to say that I had a great time.

I think the weather was just perfect! We got to experience two opposite sides of being at the beach. If anyone has ever seen the movie The Goonies (filmed in Astoria), there is the scene where the kids are coming up from the beach to discover the lighthouse restaurant. They are all bundled up, the wind is howling and the ocean is a tempest. This was Goonies weather Saturday. The salty fog and mist and a little fall chill was in the air. Driving on the beach, I couldn't see a thing until I took my glasses off. Even then, it was a very BRISK ride. Refreshing, exhilarating. And then in the evening sitting around fire, breathing in the smoky misty air and feeling the radiant heat... the flickering fire and the sputtering Coleman lantern in the distance. A full stomach thanks to Bob and Moni. Add a really good beer and some good conversation among friends, Keith's masterful guitar playing and it was fantastic.

It was fun assembling susanne and keith's new cart!

Sunday we awakened to blue skies and it warmed up very quickly. I guess I really didn't want TWO days of nasty weather. The coast was great. This time, very warm and clear. A different side of the beach.

Martin's fish was incredible. I also think it was the best I ever had. What a cool thing to do and just what we needed after coming back from the beach. A great way to finish off the event.

So here is a link to my hastily thrown together video of the driving part of the event. No nice music track or fancy cuts and fades. I wanted to get this up ASAP. I'm sorry to say that it has only Mingus, Dancer and Kody driving, and also has no beach footage from Saturday since the lens would have just fogged up! Wish I had filmed the evening fire a little bit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9OJgmh-gk

Note that youtube first renders and displays a crappy low resolution video, then a higher quality version a few hours later. Check back again tonight for the 720P high quality version.

Nice meeting new people and seeing familiar faces from previous years.

Anyway, got to get back to work.

Daryl

Daryl that is an excellent Video!

Susanne,, Mingus is looking very dashing in his new cart and harness! Both of you look sooo happy.

Leia... you don't have a mini.. you have a wee sports car!! Look at him go!!!
default_laugh.png

Daryl... .... bet it was hard to drive and take such good videos at the same time!

Thank you so much for sharing... next best thing to being there.

Latest posts

Back