Beach Drive 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
My daughter and I are looking for all the info you can provide on the Beach Drive 2008 Pacific NW. Such as when, where, average cost, camping accommodations. Not commiting to it yet but interested so we can discuss it in full.

Marie, here's the basic information that I told you on the phone. Sure hope you and Vicki can make it!

(and for anyone else who might be interested -- please join us!)

Come join us in Long Beach, Washington for

the Pacific NW Beachdrivers 3rd Annual Beach Drive

September 5-7, 2008

and bring your horses!

Ridden full-sized horses, driven horses of all sizes, minis both in-hand and in cart and horseless mini-lovers are all welcome. This is an informal gathering of friends who camp at the Peninsula Saddle Club rodeo grounds for three days sharing knowledge, flapjacks, good times, and laughter.

Come for the weekend or a day (or just stop by to say hi).

Informal clinics almost always spring up and there's a nice dirt track in the meadow for impromptu harness races when the tide's in. This year we're adding barrel racing and cones, and whatever games people can come up with.

When the tide is out there's sunset beach drives and lots of lovely photo opportunities.

For the non-horsie members of the family there's

plenty of oceanside shopping and a classic car show along with the usual go-karts, kites and other fun.

Come join us for a wonderful weekend getaway. New friends are always welcomed and we're really trying to expand the group this year. For more information you can join the mailing list at:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/beachdrivers/

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought great Longview isn't that far. Then I put the address in on Google maps and discovered it isn't Longview it's at Longbeach. Big difference in travel time and hauling for a day. I think our first haul out for an outing on the beach might be to the beach under the Longview Bridge. It's supposed to be nice trails first we will check it out on a nice drive to see how wide the trails are.

Now that was dumb of me!

I copied an email that was sent to me, including that error (but I WON'T say who sent it, hehe...)

Long BEACH is the location.

That should teach you to copy someone else's work, change things a little, then claim it as your own!
default_laugh.png
default_whistling.gif
default_nono.gif

"Flapjacks" indeed.

Leia

You're right, Leia...if I had given proper credit the first time, I wouldn't have to take the blame!

Marie.. if you go check out the Longview area.. let me know how you like it. Also heard it was great for horses.. along with the trails in Rainier but I haven't yet made it out to either of them to check them out. Not.. that I have any transportation for the horses.

Well,, Susanne,, you are not alone in that.
default_laugh.png

Marie.. if you go check out the Longview area.. let me know how you like it. Also heard it was great for horses.. along with the trails in Rainier but I haven't yet made it out to either of them to check them out. Not.. that I have any transportation for the horses.
Well,, Susanne,, you are not alone in that.
default_laugh.png
Shari I am planning on checking out the area on the Rainier side of the river under the bridge. Supposedly they don't allow any vehicles in there that have motors. It is for bikes and horses and walkers. Thought it would be a nice place to picnic and drive around. Hoping to check it out one of these days.

Longbeach is too far for me to go I would be a nervous wreck half way there. Hoping I will start to get over that in the next couple of years with help I am going to start getting tomorrow.

Well,, you are always welcome to visit here!

There is an acess to that beach just past Trojan ..think it is called Prescott beach...is bad I don't remember the name...even though we drive by it a lot over the years. : That might have easier trailer acess?

Well, I've spent the last hour or so scouring the Long Beach peninsula for hotel availability and it's slim to none. I'll start working on private cottages tomorrow. I would really like to come (horseless, however as I don't have a trailer for my pony) and spend some time with all you lovely folk!! Keep your fingers crossed!

Jayne

jayne -- you've made my day!!!!

We would so love to see you there...we may have to figure a way to transport Thelonius as well as Mingus.

You might check with Liz (Nootka) or Kari to see if they know of any good hotels, B&Bs, rentals, etc.

We all camp at the Peninsula Saddle Club -- either tent or wimp (car) camping...however, last year Keith and I learned that a Chevy Corsica does NOT make a comfy bed! (Our van is very homey when it's not horse transport...)

Last edited by a moderator:
susanne said:
You're right, Leia...if I had given proper credit the first time, I wouldn't have to take the blame!
default_new_rofl.gif
Hey, I caught and corrected the error in a subsequent email! Don't you double-check your information?
default_laugh.png

jayne said:
Well, I've spent the last hour or so scouring the Long Beach peninsula for hotel availability and it's slim to none. I'll start working on private cottages tomorrow. I would really like to come (horseless, however as I don't have a trailer for my pony) and spend some time with all you lovely folk!! Keep your fingers crossed!
Jayne
Jayne, we'd love to see/meet you! As Susanne said, everybody pretty much camps at this thing or several people live nearby and might be able to offer couch camping if you ask very very nicely.
default_biggrin.png
How big is your pony and how well does he trailer? I'm going down from Snohomish Friday morning with a full-sized trailer and (at the moment) one mini.

Leia

Thank you Susanne and Leia!! I so want to come and am trying my best to find accommodations! I am not really the camping type of girl and the hubby wants to be walkable to the beach with the golden retriever, but I am very persistent and I'm sure I can make it happen!!

It never even dawned on my to try to bring my pony. He's a great guy, been hauled to the beach a LOT when we lived there (Susanne visited once and saw how close we were). He's 10:3 (43" inches) so not big, and a little energizer bunny when it comes to driving. He LOVES it! I have a good beach cart too. The biggest problem I can see is that I haven't driven him since I moved here over 3 years ago. I'm sure he'd be fine, but I hate to embarrass us if he would be BAD which we all know ponies like to do!!

I also would have to figure out a way to get him down to your place, which complicates things too. Also, what are the horse accommodations like there? Is there places to put horses or do we have to bring panels, etc. Like most ponies, he can get out of most anything, so that would concern me too. Can you tell I tend to overthink stuff!??

So I think I will NIX bringing the pony (although I truly appreciate your generous offer Leia) but work my butt off to get down there and spend some quality time with you fine people!!

For the future, though, I would LOVE to get involved with driving locally here and get back involved with people who are driving. It would motivate me to get him out. Now that I don't board anymore, I am kind of isolated and I need to work at getting out.

Thanks again and I WILL see you at the beach ride!!

Jayne

I think I have forgotten how to harness up! :DOH!

I think I'll see if I can go over to Mary Graff's again for a refresher course.
default_wacko.png

It will be good to have that little track at the Peninsula Club. Has anyone called ahead to make sure there isn't some big event going on this year? It was so cool to have it to ourselves last year.

Also, gotta find a better way to the beach. Somewhere where we can actually turn around! If we have to use the Seaview approach again, I think I'll just unhook the trailer and swing it around by hand and then rehook it up. Before I get stuck that is.
default_rolleyes.gif

Also, I challenge anyone to a game of air hockey at the local arcade.

WOW! That place looks awesome. Is that a race track. I know you will do this again next year so maybe if I get prepared now I could get there. We could maybe all go somehow and get someone to come in and care for the mutley crew while we are gone. I could get my nephew to take the camp trailer get all set up for us "is there room for this?"

Then just go there and enjoy. And yes we would be willing to share some of our accomodations with others. We would have all the amenities of home. Bathroom, shower, tv, microwave. I am not a person who can sleep in a tent.

We will have two well trained driving horses that could go down. Not sure anyone would appreciate me bringing mine so I could leave Jimmy at home and drive one of the two we bring or just ride along. Sounds like so much fun.

Darrell it must have been awhile since you have driven Dancer. I haven't driven anyone since Ariel last year. Also drove Jimmy last year. The trainer is wondering if we can locate a double hitch for Jimmy and Koda he thinks that would be an awesome pair. Funny once he saw Koda yesterday it went from I to we really quick. We can do this or this. It made me feel pretty proud of my two boys.
default_biggrin.png

jayne said:
I also would have to figure out a way to get him down to your place, which complicates things too. Also, what are the horse accommodations like there? Is there places to put horses or do we have to bring panels, etc. Like most ponies, he can get out of most anything, so that would concern me too. Can you tell I tend to overthink stuff!??
Jayne
Oh, I would have come and picked him up! Arlington isn't that far.
default_wink.png
The saddle club has rodeo pens which we use, they're quite sturdy and suitable for all sizes.

BigDogs & LittleHorses said:
It will be good to have that little track at the Peninsula Club. Has anyone called ahead to make sure there isn't some big event going on this year?
No, but I will.

BigDogs & LittleHorses said:
Also, I challenge anyone to a game of air hockey at the local arcade.
You're ON!
default_thumbup.gif

Leia

I'm so excited I could spit!

(Please notice, that is spelled with a "p.")

Seriously, I can't wait... Marie, you're getting me excited already about NEXT year!

Well, no hotels or cabins or anything available. BUT, the hubby convinced me that camping in the back of the mini-van would be FUN!!! So we're coming!! I'm soo excited. I have wanted to come ever since this first started and now I am!! WHOOO HOOO!!

Jayne

Your hubby is right, jayne -- minivans make great campers. They even have air mattresses sized specifically for minivans. Just have him sleep on the driver's side so that he can be the one to crawl across!

I'm so glad you're coming!

Latest posts

Back