Be Prepared for Disaster!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our area... wildfire. We have a pretty good bugout plan but need to do a dry run!

In our area, we occassionally have tornadoes (usually they hit about 30-45 miles south of us) but we have been known to have "down bursts" (sp?) which can cause just as much damage. I've gotten in the practice of anytime we are known to "possibly" have chance of severe weather - I go outside and make sure everyone has their identification collar on, with their name, age, health issues if necessary and my contact information. Since I only have two riding horses, a small SSH, and 8 minis - it's not that time consuming.

I would hate to lose one of my sweethearts! Every year I go to your website and use it as my "check list"!

Thanks for the info--I'm sorry about your farm! Hope everything worked out well.

This is a sobering and timely reminder as spring storm season is basically upon us. I bought a few small pet ID tags from Jeffers with my name and cell number engraved on them and added them to my horses' barn halters and my saddle and bridles. This was initially for trail riding preparedness in case I should become separated from my horse while away from home, but I think it has merit for disaster preparedness as well. If the tag is already on there that is one less thing for you to do during a stressful time.

This is a sobering and timely reminder as spring storm season is basically upon us. I bought a few small pet ID tags from Jeffers with my name and cell number engraved on them and added them to my horses' barn halters and my saddle and bridles. This was initially for trail riding preparedness in case I should become separated from my horse while away from home, but I think it has merit for disaster preparedness as well. If the tag is already on there that is one less thing for you to do during a stressful time.
That's a great idea, thanks

Thanks for the info--I'm sorry about your farm! Hope everything worked out well.
Thanks, We are about finished building our new show horse barn! I'm very excited about the new barn. We have moved the horses in even though we have more to do before it's finished... Just couldn't wait LOL

All we need now is the detached garage then we will be back to what we had. We're good!

I just have a new goal in life and that's to share the things to think about and make a plan

In our area, we occassionally have tornadoes (usually they hit about 30-45 miles south of us) but we have been known to have "down bursts" (sp?) which can cause just as much damage. I've gotten in the practice of anytime we are known to "possibly" have chance of severe weather - I go outside and make sure everyone has their identification collar on, with their name, age, health issues if necessary and my contact information. Since I only have two riding horses, a small SSH, and 8 minis - it's not that time consuming.

I would hate to lose one of my sweethearts! Every year I go to your website and use it as my "check list"!
Yea! I'm so glad you are prepared.. Chances are it probably won't happen, but that's what we thought ;) Take care and be aware!

I'm sorry this happened to you. This link is very informative! thank you for posting.

I'm so glad you are pulling everything back together again

Great way to share warnings to us all

We are fortunate to live in an area where we are spared the worst of weather disasters

can we see pictures of your new barn??

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture of the horses looking out their doors of the new barn! They like being able to look out and see what we are doing.

Horse Eyes.jpg

Thank you for sharing your link.

The first time this hit my radar was when "everyone" worried about the 2000 bug (or was it 2001... where "we" were worried about the zeroes and computers!). We only were feeding a few minis back then, but had stocked up on many, many bags of hay cubes.

After 9/11, that was another concern. We are maybe 50 miles "as the crow flies" from DC. It just felt like something else would happen -- biological or otherwise. Our family has a plan, but it does not include horses. I remember staying awake at night thinking we'd simply have to open the gates and let them go. Dry lots, troughs for water. They would have a better chance out in the open if everything else failed and we weren't here.

We usually have a couple weeks of grain (various pellets, not really "grain") and depending on the time of year, a large - larger supply of hay.

Thank you for the link and the reminder. With the way a lot of us keep our horses, if we were not able to give them what they need, they simply wouldn't get it. They count on us, for sure.

Latest posts

Back