Bay horse born looking VERY sorrel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
I had a pinto filly born this year looking copper penny sorrel. Here is a foal pic

rosepetal3.jpg

She is now 6 months old and her mane and tail are getting alot of black in them. I still need to take a picture of her now. Her legs are white all of the way up to her body so no black there to help out. Has anyone experienced this? Do you have foal pictures and adult pictures? Thanks in advance.

If she is truely a bay, she will have been born looking bay. So no, if she is just now getting some black hairs, she is not bay. Chestnuts can also have some balck hair. A bay has all black hairs.

It looks like her mane will turn all black. The roots are black and half her tail is black now. When they come in from the back paddock I will take pictures. Mom is bay and dad is a silver seal brown.

It looks like her mane will turn all black. The roots are black and half her tail is black now. When they come in from the back paddock I will take pictures. Mom is bay and dad is a silver seal brown.
If it is coming in dark at the roots, it is likely just that the color of the horse is going to be a deeper chestnut. The foal can carry agouti but if they are not black based they don't show it. Since your foal is obviously red, it cannot be bay.

My bay stallion was born looking very sorrel, breeder registered him as a red dun. :DOH! [Parents are both buckskin.] I had him DNA color tested and he's bay; Ee, AA, no cream (silver wasn't available at the time, but he doesn't look to have any silver, especially now).

Here's a collage I did shortly after I brought him home:

dakotacollage.jpg

Hopefully the link will work, I've been having problems with linking from Photobucket, but that's where that picture is.

And, here's one from last summer:

Dakota%20-%20June%205,%202007%20-%20pretty%20boy%20-%20webpic.jpg

We do think he is the "wild bay" version of bay, as his black stockings aren't as long as on typical bay. His mane and tail are black with sunbleaching, his legs are dark chocolate brown almost black.

default_new_shocked.gif
Well Chanda, I stand corrected!! I have NEVER seen such a think before, nor heard of it! Great example! I see it, but I don't believe it!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for the pictures Chanda! Here is my girl today.

rosepetal6months.jpg

rosepetalchair.jpg

rosepetalmane.jpg

rosepetaltail.jpg

I look forward to seeing her all shed out next year. She is such a loving little sweetheart, it is really hard to get a good picture of her. She just wants to be with me and have a nap on my knee. lol

default_new_shocked.gif
Well Chanda, I stand corrected!! I have NEVER seen such a think before, nor heard of it! Great example! I see it, but I don't believe it!
default_biggrin.png
Well, I didn't believe it either, and e-mailed Lewella many times over several months while we figured out his color. She said it happens, but not often.

Not an expert... But her pinto pattern looks tobi to me, and if so the bay points on the legs would be hidden... Are the tips of her ears turning black also? Her mouth looks dark with some sabino ...

Just thinking out loud and thinking she is one very cute filly!
default_wub.png

Here is another example. This is my bay sabino filly.

A few days old

95313.jpg
95314.jpg

And now in complete natural coat

470733.jpg

Here is another example. This is my bay sabino filly.
A few days old

95313.jpg
95314.jpg

And now in complete natural coat

470733.jpg
Wow, very pretty girl. I'd say with those short black socks, she's "wild bay". [There are three types of bay, all at the agouti loci; regular bay, wild bay and seal brown. At least, this is how I understand it.]

Hmmm, it's looking like it is a trait maybe of the "wild bay" agouti gene that causes the foals to be born with a red mane and tail that later turn black? Does anyopne know of any "regular" bay horses that have the very short black socks? BTW anyssapark, I LOVE the coloring on that girl!
default_wub.png

Anysspark, your gal is beautiful!! Rose Petal does have sabino as well as tobiano. I look forward to seeing how she changes. Any more pictures? I would love to see them!!

Mona, I have a bay mare with the lower than "normal" black points on her legs. I'll try to get a photo of her up tomorrow that shows her legs well.

Thanks for the pictures Chanda! Here is my girl today.
rosepetal6months.jpg

rosepetalchair.jpg

rosepetalmane.jpg

rosepetaltail.jpg

I look forward to seeing her all shed out next year. She is such a loving little sweetheart, it is really hard to get a good picture of her. She just wants to be with me and have a nap on my knee. lol

Just possibly she's had that pesky silver gene? Making her a silver bay? She sure has a pretty face!
default_wub.png

Very interesting. The changing colors of foals amaze me, and genetic confuse me!

I have been told that my gelding Hondo has Wild Bay charteristics. In addition to the black on his legs that is shorter, he also has a very light creme underbelly. I don't know what he looked like as a foal since I have owned him less than a year and he is now about seven.

IMG_1984_4_1-1.jpg

trot.jpg

126-2639_IMG.jpg

I have a chestnut mare who's mane and tail are nearly black, but still with a bit of red in there. I remember my trainer said he had never seen a chestnut with a black mane/ tail before, but she is definitely a chestnut (she is also TB, which is easier to be sure of than these silly minis with all of their odd color possibilities, lol) She is about the same color chestnut as your little one, and the mane/ tail are about the same too.

Interesting topic! I have a filly that looks red, but is from a silver bay sire x bay dam. Something like a 4% chance of a red from that cross. She's 4 months now though and looks to be staying red!

sassi_head_04-18-08.JPG

Latest posts

Back