Bay horse born looking VERY sorrel

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but Jess you have weird horses!!!
default_laugh.png

That chestnut pinto roughly in the middle has a gorgeous head BTW.

Sorry I must have missed something...of course Sorrels have or can have dark noses...why would anyone think they can't???

I'm pretty sure she means black hairs on the muzzle. Although I don't really see any on Rose Petal yet but did notice a few black hairs in her coat. All very interesting.

I don't want to steal the thread, so I am going to post a new one and maybe we can get people to post pics of their genetically tested bay vs sorrel so we can all compare. I love the genetics of these fabulous (confusing) little horses!!!! take care.

Both Maggie and Theia are genetically chestnut. Granted both different shades..and even with Maggie having as much black in her mane and tail as she does. She also has black spots on various parts of ther body, which many Liver Chestnuts have.

All my Chestnuts have been born with black muzzles and pink or bright red skin around their eyes.. that turn black later. That is normal for chestnuts.

As for Bays.. all I have had were Silver Bays.. and they were born with black skin around the eyes and black muzzle.

I was of course referring to the fine hairs of the muzzle, which I have found to be dark in bays and not so in sorrel. I encourage you to post any pics and genetic testing you have so we can all benefit from each others genetic testing.

Painted Meadows, thank you
default_smile.png

Rabbit, I think you mean the mare, vs the filly? That's my Dels Cowboy daughter, Landrys Cowboys Diamonds & Rubys. Her head/face was the reason I bought her ;) I love the whole her, but the look she gave me, I just could NOT resist
default_smile.png

Jessi

We had our first mini foal this year. She was born bay. I clipped her and she was a totally different color. Now that her hair grew back she almost looks silver buckskin. Her mom is bay and day is a bay tri-colored pinto. These guys are so hard to guess compared to big horses. Although we did have a quarter horse colt born this year we swore would be buckskin/dun with a dorsal. He has now turned bay. His mom is bay and his dad is buckskin.

Sorry, can't post pictures. I have never been able to figure that one out!

Here is my little Double BB Hot N Spicy, who sure changed from his foal picture to adult.

I always thought he was black based but now believe he is probably red based and plan to have him tested just for my own curiosity.

I know he has at least one red gene as he has produced plenty of red based foals. But now I think he may have two red genes and in fact be red based.

Susan O.

2spicy.jpg

^^^ Doesn't look like the same horse!
default_smile.png
Sure amazing how much they can change!

Again, thank you everyone. This has been a great thread. Susan, your boy sure changed, boy is he nice!! Thanks for posting him.

Latest posts

Back