Bay B has no baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
well...what a con she played on me..LOL..milk and everything.........took her to the Vet today and when she went in up to her elbow that was a big give away that this mare was not with foal.....bummer..was soooooo hopeful Oh well. Vet did an ultrasound and found an abnormal ovarie..showed up all black. She gave me two options, a blood test now or wait awhile as sometimes these things go away on thier own. . She did not think it looked like a tumor..so will have her checked again in the spring...also asked if this growth/enlargement could make Bay B think she is pg....could be..poor thing..bless her little heart.

So, now how do I get this girl slimmed down???

BaayBAug27.jpg

baybnotpg2005.jpg

OH my word I never would have guessed that she is not about to drop triplets any minute now. She is an absolute little doll and would have had a gorgeous baby. I can only imagine your disappointment. She sure does look it, but then I am assuming, not knowing swat about this, that there's no possible mistake? Vets due boo boo on occasion, I can attest to that.

I know I'd opt for a blood test because I worry about founder due to obesity and other things that can go wrong.

She does look obese all over, especially in the neck. I have one of mine trying to look like that too and I recently just changed her repitoire and I just put her on dry lot. She was beginning to look like the Goodyear blimp. I had her levels checked and everything seems to be just fine, she simply is just pigging out way too much on grass, so now I have limited her time on grass back to 1-2 hours a day. I did not cut grain at all, but I have de-wormed her again before it was due and also started her on Sandblast to help "delfate" her. Sometimes these guys just pick up way too much dry lot dirt and de-sanding programs help. She is getting 1 cup omelene am and pm. We are also going into the round pen for working 20 minutes per day this week if the heat wave is over.

[SIZE=14pt]You need to be very careful as you diet this mare so she doesnt go into hyperlipemia . She has a LOT of fat to move and you dont want it going too fast and overloading her kidneys and liver. I would put her on dry lot, start slowly reducing her feed 1/2 cup at a time. increase her exercise maybe start 5 minutes trotting a day or until she starts breathing hard and back off. Increase that over a week or two till it is up to 30 minutes every other day.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Just wanted to say I am sorry & I know you are so disappointed............ I was talking to the Purina rep at our feed store regarding our palomino stallion that I wanted to get some weight off as we are going to sell him. She suggested Mare & Maintenance. She had first suggested Born To Win if he is getting grass but I told her I have to feed something more than a tad of pellets. I have cut way back on his grass though as our pastures are too lush..... Good luck & I hope she gives you healthy foals in the future.

She was only getting 1 cup of 16% pellets twice daily plus a flake of hay at each feeding. I have her in a smaller pasture that has minimul grass.....will that due or should I take her off pasture completely?? I surely don't want to do anything to hurt her, but I kow she has to slim down a bit before spring....any suggestiond apprteciatted. Also the pasure has a decent incline she has to climb.Kathye

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry your mare isn't pregnant. Sounds to me like she has had a false pregnancy and that could be the weight problem.

I see you are feeding 16% pellets, I would drop her down to 14% pellets if she was mine.

Keep us posted how she comes along.

[SIZE=14pt]Even 14% is too high for a mare not in foal. I would get her on a complete pelleted feed and no hay if she has pasture and give 1 C or even 1/2 c of 10% complete pellets and her little pasture. When the grass dies completely increase her complete feed to 1 C or even 2 if needed but no hay as it is already in the complete feed. My mares dont get anything but the complete feed even the preg ones until a month before foaling when they get mare and foal feed and alfalfa cubes or forrage to help with milk production.[/SIZE]

This is my 5 month preg mare Fancy and all she gets is 4 cups of the complete 10% pellets twice a day. no hay and no grass.

f2912ab9.jpg

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back