Basics for Driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Well I want to train Bandit to drive. I just want to stick to the basics right now until he is at a good weight. I walk him around on a lead, working with him on the words Walk, Whoa, and Stand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
default_smile.png

not trying to be snobby or anything but if you've never done this before you really should look into finding a trainer or someone with experience to help you along. Training a horse to drive can be extremely dangerous (and I personally think moreso than training a big horse to ride).

I really encourage you to find someone with experience to at least help you...don't take this on alone if you've never done it before. It could mean serious injury to yourself or your horse!

Well I want to train Bandit to drive. I just want to stick to the basics right now until he is at a good weight. I walk him around on a lead, working with him on the words Walk, Whoa, and Stand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
default_smile.png
Don't want to discourage you but Boinky is right if you've never trained before you need help. The basics are a good start but once you get to the point of putting them in blinders -- all bets are off. Even an exceptionally good horse can freak. My filly was fine without a bit but the bit seemed to "turn off her brain". She's so good in all performance classes but in the blinders she seems to freak at about everything.

If your just wanting to start him on the basic training there are several things you can do and your off to a decent start. Teaching voice commands is important! Lunging and ground driving is always good practice too.

I like to tie plastic bags to the end of a stick/whip to get them use to odd sounds and the bag touching them. Another goood 1 is tieing a bunch of cans to some twine and drag that along behind you.

Take him over bridges, tarps, use just about anything you can think of to desensitize him to things he may encounter.

This is all good for the future drivers or even just pets.

You'll want to read up on training to driving for both you and your horse. There are many good books out and several I was able to get from our library - ask at the library My library didn't have the books but they can get them from other libraries(they call it intra-library loans) it saved me some $. And I also bought several books. Tons of info. online.

And I agree with Boinky find a knowledgable person to give you some help - Driving can be very dangerous and a green horse with an unexperienced driver is a wreck waiting to happen and could scar you both mentally and physically.

Take the training slow, use good judgment, And look for an experienced drivier to give you a hand.

Best of luck!

yes and lets face it..using long reins and not having legs to support your horse is very challenging for some people to get coordinated and not confuse the horse in the process! horses love to try to spin in long lines (just like on a lunge line) and see whats going on behind them..

I think you can get the horse used to the harness, lunge him (I'd prefer double). I don't believe you use an driving system for the reins in de USA? (we do), so then you can learn him how to go left and how to go right.

But, as the others said before me, I also would hook a cart up if you're not sure what you're doing.

Been there, done that, and have been very lucky it went well

it's call long lining here in America not double lunging (i've heard a few people refer to it as that here but that is not the correct term at all). I'm not sure what you mean by we don't use the harness set up?? do you mean just going through the terrets on the harness? If so people that actually know what they are doing surely do. all my horses are trained to long line and do figure 8's, stop, back, turn ect on long lines long before they are ever put to cart my big horses as well before they are ever ridden. just walking behind them is not enough in my opinion. Luckly most mini's are pretty easy going and rarely give people a hard time or i think you'd see a lot more accidents..but i'd hate to tell people "just do it" because every once in a while you get one that is NOT easy or laid back or seems laid back and then freaks..then you are in a world of trouble/hurt. just go slowly,. take your time and i strongly encourage you to find someone very knowlegable to help you along the way.

with long lining you walk behind the horse, with double lunging you stay in the middle and the horse walks on a circle around you (whell, that's my translation
default_wink.png
)

No "ground driving" is when you walk behind the horse with the lines.. "long lining" is when you stand in the middle and have the horse go around you...at least that's how i was trained and every book i've ever ready describes.

Thanks

I dont have anyone who can do the training for me or help. Everyone breaks horses to ride around here not drive. And if there was they probably would charge a lot anyway. Oh well. I guess he'll just be a pet.

thanks again

If you do an internet serch for driving clubs, retailers, shows, etc you will be suprised at how many other drivers are around your area. all of these are good sources of local drivers. in my area Ive found several that have helped get me going right. one was a mini drill team that meets near me. they have introduced me to several people that have helped me along. I also met someone that has a well broke pony that Ive been able to learn on.[ a really big help.] sparky is teaching me the confidence that I need to help my horses along. another good source of info are your vet and ferrier. they know everyone in the area. Dont give up as its a blast. Its been about a year for me[ with a long break for health reasons] and I still havent been out of the arena with my own horses but its worth every second! Good luck DR.

Latest posts

Back