Barren Mare with Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepeppylass

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a very healthy and happy 23 year old mini mare. She failed to settle in 2013 & 2014, but had a successful run as a broodmare in her younger days. She was sold to me as barren and I have no plans to try and get a foal from her, but I do plan to breed her pasture mate. Would it be unadvised to let her run with the stallion and other mares during breeding season? If she magically took we would be happy to welcome the foal, but I am fairly certain that couldn't happen. Thanks in advance. Pic of the very wooly lady just because <3

12688239_503966053138136_6549208988103856861_n.jpg

If she is still cycling, the stallion will likely try to breed her; if she doesn't take, there is still a chance that the stallion could introduce infection into her repro track (not too common, but could happen). If she's not cycling, the stallion will hopefully just ignore her.

If you are going to run them together, just be sure to put her on his stallion report, just in case (whole lot cheaper than amending a report later).

At 23/24 I probably wouldn't chance it. My mare has not taken for two years with one stallion but I'll be trying her this year hoping she can get pregnant. Just because they don't take Doenst meant they won't.

Latest posts

Back