Barracuda Hoof Trimmer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a set of nippers that would make it easier for me to trim. If anyone owns the Barracuda Hoof Trimmers please let me know how well they work. Are there simmilar or better nippers? I found the website for the Barracuda but it looks outdated and there is no phone number. Does anyone have a contact number?

I have the barracudas and I love them. That said I have been using the same blades for about 3 years and I really kinda need some new ones. But haven't been able to find anyone selling them.

I got mine used, I love them. They give a very nice flat cut, but they can be unforgiving in the wrong hands due to their ability to cut the hoof like its butter. They are MUCH easier than regula nippers, and are truely able to be used with one hand. Since they have a spring in them they open on their own, no trying to manipulate a finger between the grips to get them to pull out of the hoof, they pop right open.

I don't think the company is in bussiness any longer, would love to know if they are. Blades can be sharpened on a honing stone with oil. You only sharpen the inside edge to keep the angle. I had to smooth out some nicks because, like a dummy, in a moment of stupidity, I used them to cut something I shouldn't have.

I think someone that does metal fabrication could creat new blades if push came to shove.

With all of that said, I must say I found that the Barracuda hoof nippers are an excellant tool when it comes to keeping a heel flat without trimming off too much. A few years back I had a mare come to me with longish toes and rolled heels, toes weren't an issue trimming but it was a challange to get/keep the heel opened up and keep a flat surface.

Her feet look wonderful now.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know they are wonderful, but the company has never responded to emails and you can't track a phone number down anymore. I would look for a different trimmer.

I bought the Barracuda Hoof Trimmer some time ago but seldom use it. They are too big for me to use with one hand and I don't consider my hands to be small. How do all of you manage to use them with one hand without gripping down so low that you have no leverage? Just asking!!

I grip mine down in the curve of the handle. Not at the ends. I usually dont need that much leverage. Occasionally I will have to with dry hard hooves.

I didn't look at these closely, but I was wondering if *maybe* their blades might fit the barracudas? But if not, these looked pretty good to me!
default_yes.gif

I didn't look at these closely, but I was wondering if *maybe* their blades might fit the barracudas? But if not, these looked pretty good to me!
yes.gif

Well REO, I was going to buy those nippers until I saw the price. If you get the nippers, and extra set of blades, and the spanner wrench, and shipping the total was almost $280. Do you think they are worth it? I guess you have to concider you would never have to buy another set buy man that seems like alot.

HOLY COW!
default_new_shocked.gif

I didn't look at the price. Only thought they might work *instead of*

But the nippers like I have are not as much LOL

If you happen to see any other nippers similar to the Buddy nippers or the Barracudas please let me know. Thanks

Well REO, I was going to buy those nippers until I saw the price. If you get the nippers, and extra set of blades, and the spanner wrench, and shipping the total was almost $280. Do you think they are worth it? I guess you have to concider you would never have to buy another set buy man that seems like alot.

I have a set of the bud nippers. I do a lot of hooves over the course of a year. The pair I bought has lasted me a while now and though the inital cost is a bit costly, I will no longer have to worry about getting new nippers or getting them rebuilt. Which either way is costly. They work good though take a bit of getting use to at first. I rather spend $30 on a new set of blades rather then $70 for rebuild or $100 plus every year for new nippers.

I have a set of the bud nippers. I do a lot of hooves over the course of a year. The pair I bought has lasted me a while now and though the inital cost is a bit costly, I will no longer have to worry about getting new nippers or getting them rebuilt. Which either way is costly. They work good though take a bit of getting use to at first. I rather spend $30 on a new set of blades rather then $70 for rebuild or $100 plus every year for new nippers.
Gizzmoe do you think the Bud nippers require alot less strength in your hands and arms, than regular nippers?

We've been using the barracuda nippers for at least a couple years (I've lost track of the time) and really like the a lot!

Any nippers that are as sharp as the barracuda need to be used with extreme caution. It is very very easy to severely injure your horse. They are not for newcomers to trimming. Please be very careful and get some instruction before using any type of nippers.

Gizzmoe do you think the Bud nippers require alot less strength in your hands and arms, than regular nippers?
Honestly when you first use them no, but once you get use to them. They are a lot easier then regular nippers. I have no issues with rock hard hooves and was able to easily trim a mare I was previously having a ton of problems with.

OK, I've got to go back and try the barracudas again. If you all think they are this good, I must be missing something. I will use them for the next trim. Those of you who PM'd me, let me give this another try before I give up on them.

Latest posts

Back