Barn Sour Driving Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On another driving group, this subject came up and I would like some more tips from drivers. My two geldings have suddenly decided they do not want to leave the property. After 5 minutes of maneuvering, we finally get on our way through the gate, and then down the road they get balky again. I am now trying doing circles before we get started on the road, and tapping the whip on the side of the neck instead of using so much bit pressure in the turns. Balking en route, I make them back a little then turn circles till they decide I mean business and go forward the direction I want. I do not think it is an equipment thing, as there are no changes, it is simply orneryness. They have obviously discussed it between them, because they are both acting the same! This is a NEW behavior. Any tips to try would be appreciated.

Marsha

Hi

My Knick is under training at this time. My trainer hooks and unhooks him from the harness way out in the pasture. She said she was doing it to prevent barn sour. Since I don't know anything about driving nor training I am not sure if this will help your case or not. She really seems to know what she is doing. She had Knick pulling the cart, reining and backing straight over seven step back and halts on cue and all of this on the second time of being hooked to cart.

I am so happy and can't wait until I can take the reins but I must wait as I am in a wheelchair and I must have a very safe and well trained mini.

FLFlyingW

I would NOT back a horse that is being balky about leaving the yard. Driving horses should be thinking forward, and since some balky horses will actually back up on their own, AND since a harness horse that backs up as an evasion is very dangerous, it's not something I would encourage. I would go back to ground driving for a couple times & try to correct the problem from the ground. Ground driving gives you better control & more maneuverability.

I find it unusual that both your horses would start doing this at the same time, especially if these horses have been driving for awhile? Or are they new in harness? If there's nothing on the harness, bridle or bit that is bothering them, how about the cart? Is it well balanced? Have you been going on some long drives? Are they fit for the level of work you expect of them on each drive? Is the weather hot and the flies bad just now, so that working is just unpleasant for them?

Back to basics, every time.

Either ground drive them over the same path or just hook them up and lead them.

Since they are experienced driving horses I would be inclined to lead them over the area they are balky with and get pretty stern, in your voice, with them, and them mount up when you get to the place they stop resisting.

I would also make sure they have a really good time every time they are out, not just training or exercise- can you unhook and allow grazing anywhere??

i so agree with minimor. you DO NOT want to back them. driving horses first priority is to always go forward. I would be afraid of starting another bad habit. are these two stalled together?? we had 2 hroses that always showed together and they got terrible about taking one out and not the other. we stopped stalling them together and seperated them. Things got much better after that. I think they are more buddy sour then barn sour

thanks for the replies. These are both experienced horses. I was thinking it was not good to lead them past the balky places, but I will try that next time.

I waited till our heat waves was over to do any driving, so I don't think it is the temperature. I have even tried taking them both, one tied behind the cart, and that didn't work, as dealing with the balky one in harness was worse with the other tied behind. We usually just have a pleasant 2 mile jog on a nice soft dirt road, so I can't think what is suddenly so terrible about that.

I got my new french link bit in the mail yesterday and I am anxious to see if they will like it better.

So, I think my strategy will be driving in a few circles before I leave the property. Then, as I go through the gate if they balk, I will get out and lead them through. It would probably be easier if I had a helper to work through this, but I will have to muddle through by myself. The reason I was using the backing up, is generally they don't like it so I was thinking they would rather go forward than be made to back up. I will quit using that, as the concensus is that is not a good idea for balking.

My horses and I have learned with each other from the beginning, so we will just keep working.

flflyingw--hope you are able to drive soon, as you will certainly love it!

Marsha do not give them the chance to start!!

YOU stop the cart with a firm "Whoa"

YOU make them stand there whilst you pretend to fiddle with the tugs.

YOU lead them on firmly and on up the road then YOU make them stand still whilst you remount.

You need to get them back into the way of accepting who is in charge- that would be YOU!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Ditto everything above. You already know how I feel about backing, Marsha.
default_wink.png
: If you are using the whip to encourage them to turn, can I suggest using it on their shoulders and/or barrels, rather than their neck? I know you said Cloud (or was it DD?) "takes a step back" in training when you use the whip, but a few well timed applications of the whip would put a halt to some of the behaviors in a short time. Whatever you do, be firm and consistent.

What exactly are they doing when you ask them to leave the property? Just stopping? Turning away from the direction you want them to go? ???

Today I harnessed each horse and led him at a walk across the yard, through the gate, and down the road. We stopped occasionally and went very quietly. On the way home, when he tried to break into a trot I tapped his knees with the whip and made him return to the walk. Once back at the corral, I did not release them immediately to graze, but tied them both up for a while. All very quiet and slow. I will do this for a few times and see if we progress. I am not sure how we got into such a sour fix, but looking back I think it was coming on for quite a while and I failed to notice it.

thanks for all the advice.

Marsha

Latest posts

Back