Barn Insurance - Anyone here in the insurance business

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
We want to build our barn on our new property before we start the house. We're doing this in case we sell this farm quickly so we will have a place to keep the horses while the new house is being built................ Our insurance company and several others that I have called will not insure just a barn on property without a house..................... Anyone here ever insured a barn on property without a house? If so with whom?

We built our barn too, but we did put an apartment in it and move in there first while we built the house. Imagine that would impact the insurance, but you should still be able to cover the barn. We have some coverage on the barn & outbuildings still, through Farm Bureau I believe.

Jan

I would also suggest you check with Farm Bureau. Certainly liability is available but, the catch is that they don't like to provide structure coverages without people around. Some counties do not want to even issue a building permit for such a structure without the permit for home. Much depends on where you live with the building codes. Getting power to a barn with no house in proximity can often be a challenge. In fact, insurance companies can cancel you coverage on your home if it is left vacant for a period of time.

SO --WHY would they call it the "Planning Department" ?
default_wacko.png
:DOH! Most permits are issued thru zoning and planning.

It can be done, you just have to work the system.........apartment in the barn, over garage, etc. often works.

We built our barn too, but we did put an apartment in it and move in there first while we built the house. Imagine that would impact the insurance, but you should still be able to cover the barn.............Farm Bureau........................
I got the barn building permit with no problem............... Farm Bureau will not insure as well as several others because no one is living on the premises. No living quarters are allowed in the barn because of the subdivisions rules...............Finally I think I found someone today that will insure the barn until the house is completed. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back