Barn Cats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeganH

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to get new barn cats used to their new property?

We were given two 4 1/2 month old female kittens who were outdoor cats and I want to make sure they get comfortable and do not try to run away. We have two outdoor buildings completely closed in they could stay inside for a while. The Hay/Feed shed is where they will have their feed and such set up and be allowed in and out of when they are ready.

When we bring a new cat to our barn keep it in a big cage with food and water for at least 3 days than let it out, so they know we are friendly and not just let them loose or the chances of them them finding a way out they will.

So if you can make sure they are confined for a few days and give them water and food, helps them enjoy their new home.

We had them in our hay shed last night. We left them alone in the crate and then opened the crate door so they could get to the food and litter and hay for warmth. They are now hiding in the hay and will talk to me, but I think we are moving them into the other larger building that is easier to interact with them and they will have more room in with a larger kennel we could put them in too. And no hay to hide in. Poor girls were scared but sweet. One likes to talk when I call to her.

Also- are there any particular dewormers those of you with barn cats like to use?

Last year one of my daughters found two kittens on the side of the road, very rural, she brought them here. I kept them in the tack room, locked over night, took them to the vet the next day. One had to be put down, the road rash was too severe, but I brought the other one back home and kept him locked in the tack room for two weeks. He was terrified of people, but was very hungry all the time, so when ever I went in there to feed him, I would catch him and pet, pet, pet. Needless to say now he is a brat, always under my feet, but such a good mouser, and lover. so I would recommend you keep doing what you're doing and try to get him used to you as well with lots of attention.

I don't know much about cats, as I'm allergic to them but we do have a feral barn

cat we had fixed, almost 15 years ago.

We were told by a vet to keep her sequestered for several weeks before letting

her out to roam (we did a month)and she never wanders far, at all.

When the barn is open during the day she was kept kenneled, in a comfy large size dog kennel and let to wander the barn to become familar during the night.

We caught her in the AM's by putting her food in the kennel and re locking her in when she went into eat.

Might have been a fluke but the advice worked for us and this particular cat, anyway.

Latest posts

Back