Barn Building and Progress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is our 24 x 32 barn in progress.

Day one: Woodhenge ;)

IMG_8818.jpg

Day two:

IMG_8834.JPG
IMG_8836.jpg

Day three: Didn't get take pics, just putting up OSB and foam insulation

Day four: Ready for tresses and window!

IMG_8880.JPG

Also, does anyone know if OSB is okay to put in stalls? Or should we get plywood or a non-treated version?

I don't put anything treated where the horses could chew on it. How many stalls are you putting in?

I don't put anything treated where the horses could chew on it. How many stalls are you putting in?
Two.....as of right now...;)

We used plywood. Iv'e only had one of my horses chew on things, but better safe than sorry. I wouldn't suggest OSB because it contains adhesives.
That's kinda what Mom and I thought. Thanks!

Nope, we started actually building the barn the.............17th. My uncle who is building it very much a "do it as fast as you can and still do a good job" kind of guy. But very good at it!!

OSB just doesn't stand up to weather and horses like other products do. My barns are mostly sheeted with exterior grade plywood, 1/2-3/4" thick depending on the building, and the mare barn has a couple of walls made from lumberyard seconds of 2x4s we got a good deal on.

Alright, opinions needed....Is it okay if we put sand on top of our very heavy clay soil in the barn/stalls? It'd be under our bedding. Mom thought it would help with drainage, which I agree but I know Holly was worried about Sterling eating sand/dirt.

Thanks everyone, you're the best!! Y'all feel like extended family. 🥰

OSB just doesn't stand up to weather and horses like other products do. My barns are mostly sheeted with exterior grade plywood, 1/2-3/4" thick depending on the building, and the mare barn has a couple of walls made from lumberyard seconds of 2x4s we got a good deal on.
We get rough cut lumber from local sawmill. Use it inside and out. Cost more but holds up better . For a tighter barn for weather used OSB under outer wall.

Alright, opinions needed....Is it okay if we put a layer of sand on top of our very heavy clay soil in the barn/stalls? It'd be under our bedding in the stalls, but not in the aisle... Mom thought it would help with drainage, which I agree but I know Holly was worried about Sterling eating sand/dirt.

I don’t think that I would use sand in the stalls. When I get the time to build a new barn I plan to use a dense grade grave. Then saw dust on top of that. It drains good and easy to clean and replace. That’s just my opinion and I’m a big believer in to each their own.

Remember no matter what you use on the ground it will have to be dug up and replaced every so often, it will get saturated and smell. If you don't want to do that you need to put down cement then ideally rubber mats on top of that. If you have bedding on top of the sand I don't think you have to worry about them eating it, just keep the bedding deep enough.

I know someone that used gravel screenings over the clay in their stalls. It seemed to work pretty good for them. There is usually two grades of screenings, I always get the better one. I've never used it in a stall, but I rarely confine mine to a stall. I do use it around buildings and in dog pens. Helps a lot with mud control.

Then a big jump to July 30th: All done except for the doors which are done now. And we have put packed sand in the barn and more top soil on the outside clay.
IMG_1294.JPG

Latest posts

Back