Barn & Bed Down Photos! Where do your horses live?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I just wanted to say Hi and let you know you'll be seeing me around the forum more and more. I'm the Lead Technical Admin to keep things working, and backing up Mona and Vertical Limit in keeping all the wild parties fun.

I thought it would be fun to have an on-going photo thread of your barns or where your horses bed down. So share a few photos, great to include your minis in them too!

Last edited by a moderator:
My little ones are all paddocked throughout the year. No barns or stables here ( not yet anyway) . I do have day yards in case I need to confine anyone for any reason.

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
This is our place when we first moved here 11 years ago. Michael had to construct stalls, for all the kids,
as it was just a large open cavern. Previous owner built it for a shop where he did lazer cut outs and various
other projects.
Stalls are all 10x12, tongue and grove divider walls with stainless steel chew rails, matted stalls and aisle ways
Everything is screwed together so it can easily be re-conformed at any time.
I'm sure I've more 'lived in' photos but didn't have to search for these.
Outdoors the stallions are in 50x60 paddocks with an aisle as a secondary line of defense between them and the girls.
We don't breed any longer so we and they are all retired. The 'kids' range in age from 7 to 18 now. Where did those years go?
Collage #4 (2).jpg Collage#5.jpg Collage#6.jpg
!!farm barn.JPG Stalls 2.jpg Stalls 4.jpg

upload_2018-10-30_20-22-12.jpegupload_2018-10-30_20-23-6.jpeg
Here is where my mini's used to live. Barn was custom built for them but would still work for full size horses or other animals. Barn was 30' x 90'. Inside stalls had rubber mats for flooring with shavings on top, attached feed bunks and automatic waterers. The boards between stalls were removable for situations where more room may be needed. The stalls were 10' x 10' and outside pens were 20' x 15'. The stalls were made so there was an outside pen for every 2 inside stalls. We primarily used the barn for foaling, photo shoots and boarding outside mares. In the front of the barn there was a feed room and a tack room, both 10' x 10'.

Our property is currently for sale. If interested the MLS # is 13942485.

https://matrixmedia.ntreis.net/medi...0&Size=3&exk=2fc4c88bd6137bc7ca96f00ed5d1c194
https://matrixmedia.ntreis.net/medi...1&Size=3&exk=2fc4c88bd6137bc7ca96f00ed5d1c194

Last edited:
4.jpg 7.jpg We had a quonset hut on our property when we bought it. Once we cleaned it out thoroughly, turned it into a "barn" for the horses to use when they have to come in from their paddock. Two stalls, one that has some outdoor space (about 12'x18') and one that is completely covered (about 14'x16'), a 6'x18' storage area, water to both stalls and open on both ends for good airflow, flooring is 1" rubber stall mats over the existing floor. I keep shavings in one stall . . . no bedding in the other.

Hi everyone! Here is a picture of our lean-to shed when we were just building it. I do not have any current photos of it, but this is what it looked like, it is much larger now than when this picture was taken. We keep our 2 minis in a large paddock with a large lean-to that can also keep them inside on those blustery winter days! :)

Sorry for the funny stretch to the photos, they were taken with an old phone!Pippin and Lean-to 2.png Pippin and Lean-to.png

Because Maggie ended up with Cushings, IR and foundered on me a few years ago, she now has to stay in a dry lot.

Bought a used Board and batten shed for her.
MaggieInShed22Sept15c.jpg

I have a couple different sheds and a little barn, but the last shed I built with some help from my MIL. [Hubby just set the posts for me so they'd be plumb]

Attachments

• new shelter - aug 7, 2013 - finished front.jpg
    new shelter - aug 7, 2013 - finished front.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9
  • new shelter - aug 7, 2013 - finished back.jpg
    new shelter - aug 7, 2013 - finished back.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 9
Heres an older barn...nice new coat of color last year made it pop.

Attachments

• old-barn-updated.jpg
    old-barn-updated.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 24
Moved to Westcliffe, CO, and built the barn of our dreams. Two minis, a guardian donkey, and two saddle horses (gaited). Life is generous!

A

A

And driving a mini led to larger things...
A

Hmmm. Embedding URLs of images does not appear to work. :(

2018-08-20 16.47.33.jpg 2018-08-21 10.10.38.jpg Some nice barn setups in here.

Our mini barn is in the middle of some upgrades. New sliding doors all around, trimmed in metal to discourage the chewers. Since I leave the doors open during the day except in the worst of weather, I needed something that wouldn't beat around in the wind like hinged doors. Tied and latched back they still managed to come loose and beat around. Plus, bored horses would pull on them. The sliders are awesome.

The boys and girls all have their own doors with a small paddock which is then connected to their own pastures which are in turn split in half. They can all get into shelter at any time and I can restrict their pastures for better control. Its been working out well.

I really like your remodeling ideas.
May I ask about your bay roan, do I see striping on the barrel? Is there King Supreme in the genes?

Thanks Madmax. I wish I knew. I have no information about him at all. No papers. I got him as a foal from an older woman who was rehoming her herd due to illness and she has since passed.

This is our place when we first moved here 11 years ago. Michael had to construct stalls, for all the kids,
as it was just a large open cavern. Previous owner built it for a shop where he did lazer cut outs and various
other projects.
Stalls are all 10x12, tongue and grove divider walls with stainless steel chew rails, matted stalls and aisle ways
Everything is screwed together so it can easily be re-conformed at any time.
I'm sure I've more 'lived in' photos but didn't have to search for these.
Outdoors the stallions are in 50x60 paddocks with an aisle as a secondary line of defense between them and the girls.
We don't breed any longer so we and they are all retired. The 'kids' range in age from 7 to 18 now. Where did those years go?
View attachment 39230 View attachment 39231 View attachment 39232
View attachment 39227 View attachment 39228 View attachment 39229

Those are such pretty horses, and they do live well. That is a very nice barn for them.

I would love to quote everyone on this thread and tell you how awesome your horses are and where they live. They are very lucky to have each of you as their humans.

Moved to Westcliffe, CO, and built the barn of our dreams. Two minis, a guardian donkey, and two saddle horses (gaited). Life is generous!

A

A

And driving a mini led to larger things...
A

Hmmm. Embedding URLs of images does not appear to work. :(

Can you just upload and not use the link button? That seems to work best.

We gutted our old integrated heifer barn and put coral panel stalls on the inside row. There are cement alley ways on either side and in the middle, where the poles are for support I repurposed the calf stalls into mini stalls. The outside is open where the feed bunk used to be. We plan on intalling roll up curtains on that side. There is a row of box stalls on the outside of this barn for full sized horses. The front of the barn has a room on the right side with my stallion stalls (used to be box stalls for calving), in the middle is the tack and feed room that opens from the outside and has a door to the stall side and on the left is my grooming bag and office. It used to be the feed/wash room when it was a calf barn. 20181008_173337.jpg
20180513_152215.jpg

Latest posts

Back