Barn & Bed Down Photos! Where do your horses live?

Discussion in 'The Back Porch' started by Angie, Oct 30, 2018.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Nov 5, 2018 #21

Zergling

Zergling

Zergling

Nice setep Amysue. Lots of space in there

amysue likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2018 #22

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member

Those are really impressive looking. All of you are taking such good care of your horses, and other animals.

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 9:13 AM #23

Charlie Horse Acres

Charlie Horse Acres

Charlie Horse Acres

This is the outside of the barn. These are 10X20 foot runs.
    [​IMG]
    This is the inside....excuse the mess!
    [​IMG]
    Mares on the south side and stallions on the north. All stalls except 2 are 10x10 and the 2 are 9x10. The area in the middle is big enough to practice jumping or whatever when I have the PVC round pen set up. Horses have their own barn on the other side of the property. No mixing. Grass is fescue so the breeding horses don't get pastured. The goal is to put a giant dirt round pen out the back of the barn for more play time, stallion and mare time, driving practice....etc. Also want to get a small sand round pen for exercise and muscle building.

Shari, Angie and Ryan Johnson like this.
  4. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:46 PM #24

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

Amy sue, you are really getting into the horses. No calves any more?

amysue likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2018 at 6:40 AM #25

amysue

amysue

amysue

Oh...we've expanded on the beef operation as well. We finally got access to more of our pasture (family drama) and put on a nice group of Angus heifers and some Galloway cows. We still raise holstein steers and replacement calves. Things are getting out of control busy in every direction lol. We are doing 4 weekly farmers markets moving the meats, opened a farm stand and expanded the boarding operation. We're up to 40 horses (including 10 boarders), about 100 cows (including calves, steers and heifers) 30 sheep and now hubby is into goats lol. The goat meat is very popular. I filled the old milk parlour with meat rabbits (90) and there are still birds and cats of all sorts running around here. This place is literally a zoo! Hopefully things will settle down a bit and I can get back to other things like checking in here more often.

Marsha Cassada and Zergling like this.
  6. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM #26

Zergling

Zergling

Zergling

Charlie, do you have large horses as well or just minatures/ponies? Great barn BTW.

7. Nov 10, 2018 at 6:21 AM #27

Shari

Shari

Shari

Hi Marsha,

She was doing a lot better, pretty much back to normal. I had surgery a couple of weeks ago, so my Son came to help and not sure wither she got or ate her meds but has back slid a bit.
    Now I am able to do the farm chores again, will see if she improves. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Marsha Cassada likes this.
  8. Nov 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM #28

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)

IMG_20181110_124116.jpg IMG_20181110_124036.jpg IMG_20181110_124032.jpg

Here are our contributions. . I have a humble but love-filled shedrow type barn. It has three slots that are approximately 8'×14'. Backside enclosed, and hopefully I'll finish the short sides by the end of the month. ('Tis a cold wind that's been a blowin' recently!!)

It has a dirt floor....and that dirt floats EVERYWHERE. Coats all surfaces, tack, hay, a fine skim on water buckets, up your nose....yeah.

I'm using Hurricane Florence's visit to address that issue. I've cruised neighborhoods and brought home a couple small pieces of ruined carpet to install face side down. This week my husband found a GIANT piece that covers two entire slots!!

As you can see, this carpet is very, very stained. It smells like !!! My cat won't be adding to the stink because Cash still isn't letting her into the barn. How will I resolve this?? Every time I clean, I'll dump the cleaning bucket in the barn and scrub it down. I don't like dumping bleach/Lysol water outside because it ruins the environment. I'm making an exception for this!!

The first picture is Spanky's stall right after I stripped it. He stays pretty cozy in there. I believe Cash (the Koolie dog that you see in two of the pictures) has influenced him in the last year. Cash is a Prima Donna and does NOT like to get wet. I mean, doesn't like to get wet like goats and cats don't. So now Spanky spends more time inside the barn than outside, if it's raining.

Oh, by the way....since this is my first post in many months (this year??)......HEY Y'ALL!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    Ryan Johnson likes this.