Barn and pastures over run with

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieA

Reaction score
CHIPMUNKS! I have 20 million holes
ohmy.gif
around the barn and around the posts and now around my shade trees....Are they harmfull or diseased or a threat to horses?
no.gif
Please help...they are so darn cute...but they are everywhere...is there anything safe I can use around the barn to rid myself of them...Winter will be here and I will have to build them a stall if this keeps up...lol

Hey Angie we're infested! We had them before but now I think the rains have driven them in.

Get some cats. Sounds gross I know but my barn kitties are making short work of them.

Don't forget that they are little rodents....just like mice, but cuter. Be sure to protect your grain! They are probably attracted to it and their droppings are probably just as deadly as mice droppings.

MA

I'm sorry, I'm sitting here cracking up.
risa_suelos.gif
I just love chipmunks but they are rodents. They gotta go. You have two choices...nice healthy cats or get a havaheart trap. Put lots of sunflower seeds in it and catch em and then take them far far away....course with the cost of gas and there being so many..snicker snicker (sorry) go get you a couple of nice cats.

LOL, they are cute!!! Especially since we dont have them here. Cant imagine having hundreds, EWWWW. If u are gonna build em their own stall u must have a bunch,good luck.

Wonder if they will sleep in bunk beds so that you can put them all in one stall??
laugh.gif

I think I would get some good barn cats. Keep the cats by getting cheap cat food and feeding just a little every day. I know this is nasty to some, but would they eat rat or mouse bait? I have to keep the rats at bay here constantly. If you do find dead rodents, bury them in the manure pile. You won't smell them, the heat actually burns them completely up and the remainder can be spread with the manure for furtilizer. Also keeps other animals from digging them up cause they seldom smell them. I say this cause even cats will sometimes leave a portion of the remains for us to deal with.

Good luck with your problem. Too bad they are such cute little creatures.

Also, would you consider getting a llama? Since we have llamas, we no longer have squirrels getting into our feed barrels. (those little rascals would actually eat through the top of garbage cans to get to the feed) Something about the smell of having a llama in the area. Might work for chipmonks also--don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always feed barn kitties WELL!!! it is only an overfed cat that is lazy. Mine get ad lib kitty crunch and a wet feed once a day. I never see a rat and sometimes I even get given a pheasant!!!

rabbitsfizz said:
Always feed barn kitties WELL!!!  it is only an overfed cat that is lazy.  Mine get ad lib kitty crunch and a wet feed once a day.  I never see a rat and sometimes I even get given a pheasant!!!
432944[/snapback]

Mine have free dry cat food any time during the day. I throw it out every morning and it is usually finished by dark.

dannigirl said:
Mine have free dry cat food any time during the day.  I throw it out every morning and it is usually finished by dark.
433022[/snapback]

yes.gif
same..

but please make sure they are fixed
unsure.gif

we got 2 girl barn kitties.. (mice)& one day a guy came round... now 2 or 3 years later, we have around 40
new_shocked.gif
..not so good any more!!!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif
but we aint had any mice!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Do you mean the ground has finally thawed in the "tundra" enough...that a chipmunk can make a hole huh?

Seriously...cats did it for us too....but I just searched on "exterminate chipmunks" and found this site called Critter Control....has a powder...Shake Away...that you put down wont harm the "critters"....it is the scent of the fox...says foxex are the #1 enemy of the chipmunk.

There...learn something new everyday!
aktion033.gif

Well I would rather have the problem you are having - at the moment I am dealing with racoons in the barn and my barn cats are too stupid to stay away from them and I have a male cat right now with a nice wound on the top part of his neck so treating with antibiotics. The other thing I noticed the other night was a fox in my far pasture. I hope the cats are smart enought not to go after it! The other critter around is a HUGE darn Peppie La PeeeeeU. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Danielle_E. said:
Well I would rather have the problem you are having - at the moment I am dealing with racoons in the barn and my barn cats are too stupid to stay away from them and I have a male cat right now with a nice wound on the top part of his neck so treating with antibiotics.  The other thing I noticed the other night was a fox in my far pasture.  I hope the cats are smart enought not to go after it!  The other critter around is a HUGE darn Peppie La PeeeeeU. GRRRRRRRRRRR.
433212[/snapback]

laugh.gif
LOL nice wildlife you got there!!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
makes me chuckel
yes.gif
wink.gif

I would sure be MORE than happy to give you several barn-born kittens to help you with your problem!!
wink.gif
They are only 3 weeks old now but would be ready to go in time the Darke County Fair show!! I would be very happy to deliver them there!! I have 5 available!
yes.gif
They come from a long line of 'working' barn cat lines!! PLEASE????
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the advice...I will check on the Fox smelling stuff...Thanks Connie...and as far as the kittens...I would love to have a barn cat...but up here with snow well past my butt....and freezing temps...heck it would end up sleeping on my bed...lol

I probably don't have 20 million but I bet there are 50 of them....lol
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back