BAREFOOT --- OH BAREFOOT YOOOO WHOOOOOO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
Having a problem posting on the chihuahua site -- so I thought I would just ask you here because I know this forum will work.

What is the difference between a regular chihuahua and a teacup? Some say there is not such thing--I don't know and don't understand the controversy. thank you.

In all honesty there isn't such a thing as Teacup...

its just people trying to push that theirs are small.

In Great Danes some push the big ones as King Great Danes.
default_no.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
:DOH!

By breed standards there are just long haired chihuahuas and short haired chihuahuas. By AKC standards the Chi must be under 6lbs.

It is like Sixstardanes said Teacup was something someone came up with to make more money. It is not promoted I think because alot of these tiny dogs are not bred for health.

I also found the concept that certain colors are rare is not true difficult to understand. They say that no colors rare. Just something else to sell more Chi's.

Hey wanted to tell you that the lady who created Chi-people is forum name Mia and she is in England and is 5 hours ahead of us. So the time difference might be why you haven't been replied too.

Oh I wanted to add. Did you read about the whole apple headed and deer headed thing also. I have a deer headed Chi. I guess the Taco Bell dog Gidget turned up on a commercial. Well she wasn't a good example of a Chi. She had been rescued from a shelter I think. But people loved her bigger ears, longer nose, and different head. So the demand came and people breed for that type. The AKC is trying to bring original breed standard back now though.

This is just my interpretation of what I have read. I am still learning.

ok......now I understand....deer type and apple head. Somewhere along the line I got the idea that different types were from different parts of the country. I researched the breed befor buying Lola but only did the AKC research thing and then found Lola and a breeder who seemed to care more about the quality of a healthy dog than specific sizes and money. Am not sure which I have

I guess. I thought I wanted one low to the ground but love this one I have so much she can grow to be ten pounds and I would not care.

Are health issues more frequent with smaller chihuahuas? With our outdoor lifestyle I wanted a sturdy one to travel with me and go to shows and 4H events etc. etc. Will 4 pounds be a good size for Lola? I am so obcessed with this puppy.......geez.

Somewhere tonite I saw a pix of a glorious great dane.....lots of white with black and I could not help but thinking how great it would be to have a dog like that but............. LOL.....I would probably not survive!!

thanks everyone for the input....

L.

No reputable breeder will use the term "Teacup" to describe their Chihuahuas. Those who describe their dogs as such are either misinformed or using the description as a marketing gimmick to the misinformed. Chihuahuas are a breed belonging to the Toy group. There are no Teacups in any breed, or a group of breeds called Teacup.

Here's the Chihuahua Club of America's statement on Teacups: http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/teacup.htm

From there you can research the breed, including the breed standard which calls for an "apple dome" (not deer) skull and a dog which is 6 lbs. or less for show. Any dog can have serious health problems (especially extremely tiny or oversized dogs, but really any dogs especially if they come from untested lines bred for profit rather than improvement of the breed) and information about those common in the Chihuahua is also available on that website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back