Bandy's Foaling Thread - Round 2!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks as tho those Nipples are starting to separate, wont be long Brody. Im hanging to see what she Produces (like you im sure)

Hoping we see some baby pictures soon!!!! Looks like it could be anytime now!!
default_yes.gif

Well, still no foal - but I thought I would update with some photos again. Today is gestation day 329 (assuming the first breed date) and it has been 6 weeks and a couple days since Bandy started to fill her udder, and a month since I started this thread. She has now gone a good two weeks beyond when I thought she would be foaling, as I was sure we would have a baby by the 10th of May. The photos are taken in the pasture at the end of turnout time today. I let my other mini out with her today as well - so he is the fellow hanging out in the background of a couple of the pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, a week later and still waiting - so I guess we'll be having a June baby. At least I hope she doesn't hold out another month! Here are some updated photos from today. I don't notice any real drastic changes in comparison to the previous photos, but I think the only real change left is for her to have the baby! Milk consistency and color is still the same as it has been - sticky and white (but a diluted white, still not the final product).

Ugh - still can't figure out how to get the pictures straight. They are uploaded in the correct direction and then rotate when I add them to the post?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another week has past, and we are still waiting impatiently
default_smile.png
. Here is another round of photos from today. When I first started the thread everyone (including me) seemed confident that I should calculate from her first breed date, which would put her at 343 days today. At this point, though, I am guessing she didn't catch until her final breed date, which puts her at 321 days today. Either way she has gone well beyond the 310 day gestation of her previous pregnancy as a maiden mare. Also, it has now been 8 weeks and a couple days since she began developing her udder. So, from her history and the photos over the past several weeks I guess the only logical conclusion is we have to wait longer! ;) I am not sure what she is waiting for, but I am looking forward to when I can sleep at night again and have a little foal here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Her udder is def looking closer! Shouldnt be much longer now...

Well, it took a thunderstorm, full moon, and it being Friday the 13th to convince this baby to come out - but she is finally here! She was born about 3 AM this morning. I just missed the birth
default_sad.png
, but got there probably ten to fifteen minutes after when she delivered the placenta. There were no further indications that tonight was the night as her udder and vulva were unchanged from the last photos I posted, and from when I last checked on Bandy last night around 10PM. We were still getting up every hour or so to check the monitor and see how she was doing (as has been our habit for the last several weeks!). Around 2AM there was no indication of anything happening - she was just standing there relaxing, and then when we looked a little after 3 there was a baby! Gratefully, everything went well and mama and baby are doing wonderfully. The baby was nursing within ten minutes after I got out there and she latched on and ate VERY well from both sides. We got the baby dried off, put down fresh bedding, treated the umbilical stump with some iodine, and I was about ready to get a soapy enema out when she decided to empty her bowel - so I decided to skip that step for now! So within the first two hours all the first little milestones have been accomplished (nursing, pooping, walking (and running and jumping), and bonding with mama. Bandy is still uncomfortable and keeps getting up and down, but otherwise is being a very attentive mama. The baby is almost identical to Bandy - a black and white tobiano! The only difference in coloring is that the baby's chest and top of her front legs are black, whereas Bandy's are white. Baby for sure has one blue eye (yay), and I'm am pretty sure two blue eyes. I couldn't get a clear enough look in the dim barn lighting to see for sure - so I will have to look closely in the light of day here in a few hours! Lastly, yes, I will post some pictures a bit later in the day once I have the chance to upload them, but I am feeling very blessed as we not only have a healthy and happy baby (and mama), but the baby came out exactly as I was hoping for (color and gender)!

Here are some photos of our sweet little girl. The first one was taken shortly after she was born - I think the look on Bandy's face is quite expressive
default_smile.png
, she is happy to have this little one too! The other few photos I took just a bit ago outside. They have a paddock to themselves, and both seem very content and happy. I don't think I could have ordered a more perfect baby - very happy. I measured her this morning too and she is 20.5 inches tall - no idea if that predicts how tall she might grow to...

Also, thanks Diane for the pointers. I actually did give Bandy some banamine, and she ended up calming down not long after I made the last posting. I also have some ivermectin on hand and was planning to take care of that this afternoon. I do appreciate your experience and guidance - it is really helpful!

Now, the only thing we really have left to do is figure out a name! At present, we don't have any ideas - so it may take a little while.

I am also excited to now be able to take out my gelding for some rides with my son. He does great out driving by himself, but I haven't wanted to leave Bandy home alone. She is quite content now that she has a little one to keep her company, though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What a little cutie! Congrats!! So glad all went well and your foal is happy and healthy!
default_firstprize.gif

Back