Banamine after foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you give banamine after foaling

• Yes, to every mare after they foal

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • Only if I notice they are uncomfortable

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • I've never given it to a mare after foaling

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

Matt73

Reaction score
This just piqued my curiousity after another thread.

I'm just wondering how popular it is in the mini world to routinely give banamine after foaling. Most large horse breeders I know have it on hand in case they need it (if the mare is uncomfortable). I have it on hand but I wouldn't just give it unless I noticed obvious signs of pain. Although safer than bute in some ways, banamine can still carry side-effects and risks.

We dose it every time following the placenta being delivered and have had no adverse reactions. I use the liquid "injectable" but dose it orally. I would not be inclined to discontinuing this comfort to our mares -- they deserve it and of course they will feel crampy and sore. Some more than others but to my way of thinking, each of the new moms benefit from the relief the banamine gives them.

Remember, too, that mini births are not just like big horse births, and minis are not just like big horses. I think it's a bit harder on them, and that they can be more sensitive in general. I highly recommend making it a part of the post-delivery routine.

PS great idea for a thread, Matt
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to only give it when mares seemed in pain, but then I found it was much harder to ease their pain (took more doses). A mare in extreme pain will not let their foal nurse so now I give it after they foal and try to head it off.

yes, after all foaling, it is hard on any horse birthing. Their uterus has to get back to normal, so they all do have cramping and can be painful until their uterus is back and stop contracting.

Does help, so they can let their foal nurse sooner.

We always give a dose after foaling

and have not waited for placenta to pass

No problems yet and the mares always seems

comfortable.

We use the paste

We also give ivermectin right away

Yes, immediately after foaling. Being proactive is always better than being reactive. One dose of banamine after foaling is not going to cause any harm to the mare. It eases the pain and swelling from birth, allows the mare to be more tentative towards her foal, and does not hinder placenta passing. To me, its worth it.

We use "flunixin"sp? and it is a powder we got from our vet. I think it is the same as banamine.

The vet said giving oxytocin closes the uterus faster preventing infection from entering and the powder to ease the pain of the contracting uterus.

Not being a vet I am sure our " Forum Vets" will clarify my statement if I "mis spoke"

We use "flunixin"sp? and it is a powder we got from our vet. I think it is the same as banamine.

The vet said giving oxytocin closes the uterus faster preventing infection from entering and the powder to ease the pain of the contracting uterus.

Not being a vet I am sure our " Forum Vets" will clarify my statement if I "mis spoke"
Yes, Flunixin is Banamine (Banamine is the trade name, I believe)

We give Banamine to all our mares right after foaling before the Breeder Alert halter alarm comes off. The dose depends on the mare, and how hard the foaling was.

Many years ago we had a mare colic after foaling. It was NOT a pretty sight. You then have two critical patients. One that needs to nurse and the other that is in pain.

We find that giving it early helps the mare be more comfortable and start to focus on the new foal and bonding, instead of her pain. Only rarely have we had to give a second shot.

As others have said, birthing is painful and if we can ease their pain, I am all for it.

Ditto, Carin. Always immmediately after foaling (sometimes before the mare gets up). I want to prevent any further pain for the mare and I, too, find that placental detaching and passing has not been affected by banamine. As I've said before, I want my mares up on their feet tending to their foals and not on the ground thrashing in pain.

My vet has been selling me 'Flunixin' injectable. Same thing as Banamine. I give it orally.

i voted never ... i had to give it to one mare last year and she was the first she was super crampy and throwing her self down more so than my other mares had been ever.

other than that she is the only mare i have given it too. never had any mares that really showed signs of needing it
default_smile.png

I trust my team of vets (and I know my horses). They said the pros out weigh the cons, why make the mare get to that level of discomfort. I have witnessed them getting crampy and even them getting a sore bag while their body is trying to get acclamated to the correct amount of lactation. I see no reason to have a mare shoo a foal away from nursing because she is uncomfortable. It creates a leary foal, I would rather see them spending that time bonding. I have seen even the very best of mothers shoo a foal away because she is sore.

Unless their was an underlying health condition that the banamine would aggrivate (never had to deal with this) I will continue to give banamine after foaling.

Their isn't a right or wrong in this instance, just a preference by owners, and this is my preference.

Yes, immediately after foaling. Being proactive is always better than being reactive. One dose of banamine after foaling is not going to cause any harm to the mare. It eases the pain and swelling from birth, allows the mare to be more tentative towards her foal, and does not hinder placenta passing. To me, its worth it.

Ditto!
default_yes.gif

I used to just give it to those that needed it but you make a great argument and I think all will get in now. I know our black mare MUST have it or she acts (and may be!) like she's in agony. The pinto mare rarely needed it, but anything to make them feel better.

To those of you in Canada, where do you get banamine? The vets here wont just sell you some to "have on hand" for foaling or any other time you could need it!
default_sad.png

To those of you in Canada, where do you get banamine? The vets here wont just sell you some to "have on hand" for foaling or any other time you could need it!
default_sad.png
My vets give it to me, no problem. Often, they'd rather give you a bit to have on hand so that you can give a bit the next day etc. so they won't have to make a trip to the farm just to give a simple IM injection for pain. I have some IM stuff on hand from when Willow needed it last summer. I also had bute (oral suspension) from when my Thoroughbred needed it one time. Most vets will give you a bit (even if you ask for 1cc for if you need it after foaling).

I too regularly give my mares banamine immediately after foaling.

Arlene

I would consider not giving banamine IM - rather give it orally. I always give a dose of Gastro Gard right along with it to protect the stomach.

We also give banamine to the mare......just for the reasons previously given.

We also worm the mare and give her a grain mash.... It's all part of our step by step process. The mare stays on her feet and the newborn is given some time to hunt for groceries.
default_smile.png
(We also hand feed the foal a little to jump-start it.)

Back