Ballpark investment in basic driving training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knottymare

Reaction score
I'm still recuperating from knee surgery but I'm itching to get out and play with my horses. I am thinking that I will likely need to send my Dolly out for some basic work since I can no longer jog or trot along behind her. I am selling most of my large horse tack to afford to start my driving endeavors. This evening I bought a lightly used Jerald easy entry cart. It came with a nice harness that should fit one of my girls. If it doesn't fit Dolly, I'll be looking to purchase one specifically for her.

Before my surgery, I had Dolly working well longeing, long lining and driving in harness through the neighborhood at a walk and trot, had a great work ethic, lots of controlled enthusiasm and a good whoa. She was just getting started with lateral movements. I've done a lot of trail walking with her and she's really pretty unflappable... all that said, in the time I have been laid up since my knee injury and then surgery, she's had ZERO work. I haven't even been able to feed them myself!

At any rate, I'd love to find someone who is reasonably priced who can hold my hand a bit on this journey. What kinds of things should I look for, expect and how much should I expect to pay. I know that I have fairly local to me some very well known driving trainers but none are really close enough that I could really be a part of the work.

Just love to hear your experienced feedback with training, etc.

Thanks!

I wish I could help you Mary, but I've never sent one of my horses out for training. I take lots and lots of lessons but only very rarely does someone else take the lines on one of my guys.

What are your goals here? You said you can't even feed them right now- are you going to be able to drive if someone else gets her finished for you? Are you wanting her to continue to make progress so she's ready when you are or are you seeing for instance that you won't physically be able to long-line again so you now need someone else to take her past that step? I guess if it were me and I had no competition deadlines or anything, couldn't drive currently and knew eventually I'd be up and running I'd wait and continue her training myself when I was healed rather than spend a lot of money to have it done for me. That's just me though, and that's because what I love most is the actual process of training! If what you're looking forward to is the driving or driving is something you can do now if only she were already trained, then of course some outside help is a good idea.

Best of luck with this. The only advice I can offer is to always check out the horses of any trainer you're considering. Are they happy? Do they enjoy their work? Are they sociable in the barn and act as if they enjoy people? The horses will tell you a lot more about the true state of things than the trainer or her clients ever will!

Leia

Hi Mary

I am looking at taking some driving lessons because I think that will help me be a better driver( and I don't want my guys to leave home ) . My horse is very patient and tolerant
default_rolleyes.gif
but I'm sure he will appreciate it . I have a youngster who is 2 that I am hoping to train myself . I am sure there are great places for training but force seems to be used alot with horses and I don't want my guys trained that way and seeing as they can't talk I want to look out for them . I am not interested in showing so my critiera for driving might be different . Lessons are $68.00 with your own horse or $90.00 with thiers, I feel that it will be money well spent .

I re-read Leia's post and I'm kind of saying the same . We all have different goals but in the end want what's best for our horses .......Ann

I wish I could help you Mary, but I've never sent one of my horses out for training. I take lots and lots of lessons but only very rarely does someone else take the lines on one of my guys.
Yeah, me neither!

What are your goals here? You said you can't even feed them right now- are you going to be able to drive if someone else gets her finished for you?
I'm actually finally up and around enough to start caring for them myself. I even gave them all baths on Sunday. It was hysterical - I hobbled out there with the halters and all three of them came running.
default_aktion033.gif
I briefly had 3 clean horses!

308284_2312382246237_1149824875_2856919_6441619_n.jpg

Are you wanting her to continue to make progress so she's ready when you are or are you seeing for instance that you won't physically be able to long-line again so you now need someone else to take her past that step? I guess if it were me and I had no competition deadlines or anything, couldn't drive currently and knew eventually I'd be up and running I'd wait and continue her training myself when I was healed rather than spend a lot of money to have it done for me. That's just me though, and that's because what I love most is the actual process of training! If what you're looking forward to is the driving or driving is something you can do now if only she were already trained, then of course some outside help is a good idea.
Best of luck with this. The only advice I can offer is to always check out the horses of any trainer you're considering. Are they happy? Do they enjoy their work? Are they sociable in the barn and act as if they enjoy people? The horses will tell you a lot more about the true state of things than the trainer or her clients ever will!

Leia
Excellent Advise. Thanks, Leia. I think I'm getting really impatient and watching our "good weather" season quickly sliding away. I don't think the horses care one bit if I work them now or in 6 months!

Hi Mary

I am looking at taking some driving lessons because I think that will help me be a better driver( and I don't want my guys to leave home ) . My horse is very patient and tolerant
default_rolleyes.gif
but I'm sure he will appreciate it . I have a youngster who is 2 that I am hoping to train myself . I am sure there are great places for training but force seems to be used alot with horses and I don't want my guys trained that way and seeing as they can't talk I want to look out for them . I am not interested in showing so my critiera for driving might be different . Lessons are $68.00 with your own horse or $90.00 with thiers, I feel that it will be money well spent .

I re-read Leia's post and I'm kind of saying the same . We all have different goals but in the end want what's best for our horses .......Ann
Thanks, Ann. I'm not looking to show. My goal is to just be able to get out for a nice little ride on the trails or around the neighborhood. I'd also like to do some local parades. But that's the extent of it.

Lately, I've been eye balling my big mare thinking hmmm... she'd sure look pretty pulling a cart.
default_rolleyes.gif

I am paying $600 as part of a flat rate mini package- so he stays there until he is SAFE to drive. I have read on many sites that some people charge $300 for a month which they considered trained, but I would not consider a horse safe after only a month of training. Other places charge $300 a month until they are trained. Good luck.

While I haven't sent a horse myself, from what I've seen and heard I'd definitely talk with Dorothy Whiteman. Her work with three horses I know well was excellent, and their horses are happy, sensible driving horses, great at recreationl driving and competitive in both CDE and the breed show ring. You'll have to talk with them about cost.

It's a bit of a drive (Elma, WA area) for you, but not too bad.

I second the recommendation of Dorothy Whiteman. It is not too far from you. I have a lot of respect for her, and she will turn out a lovely, well-rounded horse for you.

Thanks! Hard to imagine my spoiled little baby actually leaving. I'm going to try the harness on her tomorrow after work (first chance I'll have) and go from there. See how my knee feels taking her for a walk... baby steps!

I am paying $600 as part of a flat rate mini package- so he stays there until he is SAFE to drive. I have read on many sites that some people charge $300 for a month which they considered trained, but I would not consider a horse safe after only a month of training. Other places charge $300 a month until they are trained. Good luck.
Whom have you checked with so far? Whom are you getting such a "flat rate" from? I'd love to check them out and maybe go take lessons or send ponies to for more work myself. I like doing my own training, but need to find someone else to work with beyond the draft horse trainer that I've worked with thus far.

I live about 45 miles south and west of Raleigh - between Sanford and Lillington. I can access parts of Walthour-Moss Foundation (Southern Pines) in just under 30 miles and other parts in a little over 40 (parking & entrance at May street & us1 @ the equine college)... Have only taken a couple of our driving ponies there so far - last year and none this year. My youngest daughter is now working with that same Draft horse trainer and learned how to harness, hitch and drive a pair of Belgians to a farm style drag (her 5th lesson).

I've talked with a couple of other "trainers" but my style is different in that I believe an equine should be worked with and trained fully before being hitched rather then be trained by being hitched to a wagon or cart bigger than he would normally be hitched to and learning to "whoa" when they are tired from whatever speed they managed to pull the conveyance at...(that's scary!!!).

I second the recommendation of Dorothy Whiteman. It is not too far from you. I have a lot of respect for her, and she will turn out a lovely, well-rounded horse for you.
Does Dorothy have a website? For that matter - are there other driving trainers (especially in the south?) that have websites?

Back