Bait

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
When baiting a horse for halter in a sand arena at a big show, what do you use? I have heard of candy wrappers and mints, and I know Tic- Tacks are a BIG no-no, as are hats (for women). What are some other DO's and DON'Ts of the indoor ring.

When baiting a horse for halter in a sand arena at a big show, what do you use? I have heard of candy wrappers and mints, and I know Tic- Tacks are a BIG no-no, as are hats (for women). What are some other DO's and DON'Ts of the indoor ring.
It's been years since I've been in the show ring. Tic Tac's are not allowed now? I used to use a clear film canister with small hole drilled into it with a small amount of sweetfeed inside. I guess these would not ba allowed now either! I had one stallion that loved to chew on my diamond ring while standing still for the judges but I don't think I'll suggest that! LOL

who said tic tacs arent allowed?? I still see them quite a bit and have used them but didnt like it as they jiglle in your pocket when you trot the horse lol. I prefer hay or green grass with a rubber band.

I said Tic-Tacs are a no-no, not that they weren't allowed. IMO, if you use Tic-Tacs, you may be frond upon because of the noise the Tic-Tacs make, the noise may distract other horses in the ring from preforming the way their handler had intended. Some thing like that
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Candy wrappers are great for getting ears...

For bait and as a training treat, I use BOSS. It's clean and doesn't get your pockets sticky, you can use just a tiny amount, and my horses love it.

I don't understand why a woman could not wear a hat and use it same as a man. I know that is works great for a lot of the gentlemen, so why not for us? I know that I would not hesitate to use it if I wore one in the ring. Just cause it isn't done a lot doesn't mean we can't do it.

Angie

I use peppermint treats. Not the kind for people, the ones made by Buckeye. My horses love them and all I have to do is move my hand toward my pocket and I get ears!!!

Robin

Pieces of fruit, apple banana,pear. Put in sandwich sized baggies in cooler, enough for all your classes, then at show time take one out and stick in your pocket.

getitia gave us a really good tip at the show this week. cant believe i never thought of this lol. she said never give the horse the bait unless the ears are forward. Otherwise you are trainning them to get treats with the ears back. This must be why i have trouble getting crunchs ears. thanks for the tip getitia

Through the years, I've probably used them all.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Two things I like that haven't been mentioned are Nicker Makers (I had one horse that would do anything for one) or layers of alfalfa cubes.

Rita

one of my favorites is PLAIN OLD FRESH GREEN GRASS, it works every time for me, i don't think i've ever had a horse refuse it. (can't find it) i hear---- you may have to walk a ways to find some around an arena, but it's there somewhere.

I saw you at at show where you used your hat to bait your gelding Nirto and he looked stunning when you did it! Who cares if it's un-lady like the horse is being judged in halter no you :p .

I used candy wrappers in the ring for my old gelding and they worked amazing with him. Another sugestion is just keeping it in your pocket and training your horse to know that the sound or treat is in there so he will bait out to you but you don't have to use your hands infront of him much. This can be a problem with him/her creeping up to you wanting to get in your pocket :lol: so make sure you practice it lots if you want to do it.

Apple treats and the end of the lead and work for some horses as well

-Vanessa

The horses we show love the stripped green wrapped mints so we use those and they can smell it in your hand we don't let them have it just tease them with it and when the judge isn't looking they get to lick on it and if someone doesn't like it you can just pop it in your own mouth and it's gone.. We also show in classes with First Knight and KC will use her hat many times if she's wearing one so don't see a problem with using your hat if your wearing one.

Alright I have to ask since I am going to my first ever AMHR show in September, what are you talking about with the whole using a hat thing??

Thanks!!

Alright I have to ask since I am going to my first ever AMHR show in September, what are you talking about with the whole using a hat thing??

Thanks!!

My hubby will take his hat off and slowly lower it in front of a horse to get attention. Usually the horse will be curious and perk up and use ears and be attentive at least for a few seconds. He will only do it when a judge is actually looking.

Also, I talked to a couple of friends who are judges and they said that it did not make a difference if the hat user was a lady or a gentleman. It is the horse they are judging and the reaction to the hat may make a difference--so why not use it.

I also forgot about nicker makers. They are made by parina and my little ones learn early that they are a great treat. I also like nickermakers cause they disolve quickly. Saw a horse choke on a hard treat once and it took hours to get it soft enough to loosen. Now we try all treats in a glass of water before we feed to horses. If it doesn't disolve within a minute, we won't take it in the ring where they may get excited and not chew before swallowing.

Angie

I use Dumor Horse Treats from Tractor Supply. Even the DOG loves these! My horses mug me if they think I have any....

They feel like dog biscuits, but have an apple/molasses smell. And they break easily.

Lucy

Or if you are a total show dork like me.. then the judge will be nice enough to not actually say -look you are a dork .. but will use there clip board to get the horses neck and ears for me
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I have a little plastic baggie I use. I don't make lots of noise with it, but at home they're fed their treats after work from a similar sounding bag, so if I dangle it in front of them in a class and move it up and down, voila! I try to only give one treat during the class, usually after the judge has viewed my horse and is almost done with the next horse. That way if the judge looks back my horse isn't munching, but the horse know if they keep at attention they WILL be rewarded. And the bag easily stuffs anywhere and isn't messy.

I've thought about trying a little pocket mirror...anyone ever tried this?

lol lisa i had a judge do that too! he said he was looking for "expression" scared the crap out of tiny the first time he did it. lisa and i are the show dorks of amhr LOL

Latest posts

Back