Bad weather season in SE USA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyP

Reaction score
It is now the time of year that many states in the South/SouthEast part of the United States has outbreaks of tornados. These can damage homes, barns and cars and anything that gets in its way. I’m thinking of this as we’ve had the beautiful and warm weather that may cause severe weather tomorrow.

1. How do you protect your miniatures and other animals?

2. Are you ready for no electricity for a day or two?

3. If no power, do you still have water for animals and yourself/family?

4. What are your favorite tips for those no power days that extend to 2 or 3 days or more? Please share.

This is what is on my mind tonight.

1. Right now I do not have any animals. There is one semi feral cat, but he goes out and takes care of himself.

2. Yes I’m ready. I have an inverter for my car power areas to change to AC to charge things that cannot be charged by a USB port in the car dash. And new bright and easy to carry pattern type flashlights. My favorite to have is water candles. Basically a wick floating on cooking oil on top of water.

3. I am lucky as the water to my place does not need power to work. Also, I have some water and other drinks in bottles for me. And when I know possible outage is coming, I fill some 2 liter drink bottles and the bathtub and washing machine basket on high fill.

4. I think most of my favorites I’ve mentioned above. I found out I can easily go 6 days without power if the gas stations and some grocery stores have generators so I can get ice to put in freezer to use as an ice box for some refrigerated foods.
And it’s best in spring so not too hot to sleep with windows open some to get some air. (No airconditioning without power).

1. That is so difficult to know how to manage. We have tornado's here in MN too but not as numerous as you do. Depending on your landscape most times it is better to leave them out as I would be afraid of a barn falling in or swept away by the winds. The cows especially seem to sense storms coming and they will get off the hill tops and into the lower areas. Some built in sense that nature gave them.

For the other answers we have our own generator so that solves a ton of problems. We use that more in the winter time then the summer storms though. I have been known to have a little charcoal fire in the driveway and make my coffee that way. Before we had our generator of course.

Interesting question. I don't have the minis to be concerned about yet, but I think I would like to have some covering near a hill or maybe make a lean to and do 3 sides almost underground and let the animals' senses do the rest.

I don't have a generator but would like to have one. But I collect things like hiking/camping small stoves and candles, and have even tried an upside down clay potting pot over candles to see if that would heat an area, but that didn't work too well. And I have a large can rocket stove for outside.

I do make sure if I know possible bad weather is coming to have all my devices charged up. Especially phone as I've heard text and email can get through when voice does not.

Interesting question. I don't have the minis to be concerned about yet, but I think I would like to have some covering near a hill or maybe make a lean to and do 3 sides almost underground and let the animals' senses do the rest.

I don't have a generator but would like to have one. But I collect things like hiking/camping small stoves and candles, and have even tried an upside down clay potting pot over candles to see if that would heat an area, but that didn't work too well. And I have a large can rocket stove for outside.

I do make sure if I know possible bad weather is coming to have all my devices charged up. Especially phone as I've heard text and email can get through when voice does not.
Good ideas too.

We still have a landline and a mechanical telephone. Nice to have when the power goes out. where we live, cell phone service is not predictable.
If we are in a tornado warning, I make sure my horses have their fly masks on. It is better for them to be outside than in a shelter if there is a tornado. But the mask affords some eye protection from debris.
We also have a generator; great to have when there is an ice storm and the power is out for 2+ weeks. We keep a kerosene lamp. And those ball caps with an led light on them are really handy in power outage.

Latest posts

Back